Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 05:22 AM

4 posts, read 12,219 times

Advertisements

I lived off of Darby and manoa in havertown. Your right "borders" was the wrong word choice and Darby was a bad example. The point I was trying to make was that ridley park remains a strong area even with seedy places close by. Havertown is not effected by places like milbourne, east lansdowne, yeadon, upper darby in a 5 mile radius. Same goes for ridley park with ares like Chester, eddy stone, crummelynne. I think the OP was a little misguided calling people of Folsom and ridley park "lesser."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 07:31 AM

364 posts, read 1,080,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters1 View Post
I lived off of Darby and manoa in havertown. Your right "borders" was the wrong word choice and Darby was a bad example. The point I was trying to make was that ridley park remains a strong area even with seedy places close by. Havertown is not effected by places like milbourne, east lansdowne, yeadon, upper darby in a 5 mile radius. Same goes for ridley park with ares like Chester, eddy stone, crummelynne. I think the OP was a little misguided calling people of Folsom and ridley park "lesser."
I live not far from ABC field as well. It's a great area and the best part of Ridley. Ridley has a great small town culture, especially in that area and down by the lake. Glad to see you're enjoying it.

I think Havertown is a great area, but I just think it's overpriced and overcrowded.

However, like others have stated, Havertown is bordered by shady areas as well. But, MOST areas are bordered by shady areas. Every town has it's good and bad points.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:34 AM

177 posts, read 357,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters1 View Post
Millbourne is sort of like Havertown or Ridley Park in that regard. It borders Upper Darby and West Philly but is really a lot better than you would think somewhere that is sandwiched between those two places would be. It helps that it's got people that really care about the community there. Yeadon's influence really ends at the Lansdowne/East Lansdowne border.

I really wouldn't lump Folsom and Ridley Park in together. Honestly, if Ridley Park didn't have the word "Ridley" in it then it would have probably been consolidated with Interboro given that it borders the municipalities in that school district and has a lot in common with them. Folsom on the other hand, is really not all that much better than Darby township, Primos, etc at this point.

Delaware County is a lot like the city in that it was the more suburban places along winding new boulevards that prospered at the expense of the more urban places along straight, older thoroughfares. Now though, it's becoming the other way around. I realized this the other day, that it's the Sproul Roads, the State Road out past Springfield, Blue Route, Mid County Expressway type of places, etc that are declining or are going to decline in the future. They weren't planned, and they were either built to escape the parts that were built along more straight thoroughfares or were built through what was then countryside. In the future, it will be the parts built along I-95, Township Line, West Chester, Garrett, etc etc that will do well. Ridley Park in particular should really benefit from the airport expansion if it ever gets completed.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
I live not far from ABC field as well. It's a great area and the best part of Ridley. Ridley has a great small town culture, especially in that area and down by the lake. Glad to see you're enjoying it.

I think Havertown is a great area, but I just think it's overpriced and overcrowded.

However, like others have stated, Havertown is bordered by shady areas as well. But, MOST areas are bordered by shady areas. Every town has it's good and bad points.
Havertown really isn't bordered by any shady areas.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:27 AM

584 posts, read 1,425,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1oozne View Post
Havertown really isn't bordered by any shady areas.
Yeah, I was a little confused by this. I suppose we all have different conceptions of "shady" - but I couldn't picture shady areas near Havertown.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by templeu View Post
Yeah, I was a little confused by this. I suppose we all have different conceptions of "shady" - but I couldn't picture shady areas near Havertown.
Haha I honestly don't think many people on here even know what Havertown's actual boundaries are. Haverford township borders some shady areas but not Havertown CDP.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:15 AM

364 posts, read 1,080,467 times
Quote:
Haha I honestly don't think many people on here even know what Havertown's actual boundaries are. Haverford township borders some shady areas but not Havertown CDP.

What do you call Upper Darby and Drexel Hill?

Old 08-06-2013, 10:24 AM

9,331 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Not to nitpick, but Havertown is actually a ZCTA (zip code tabulation area), not a CDP (though it would be interesting how the census bureau would define Havertown if it were to recognize it as a CDP, which, in fairness, it probably should). As you probably know, a little bit of the zip code juts into Upper Darby Township. A tiny little sliver even crosses over into Lower Merion.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
What do you call Upper Darby and Drexel Hill?
I call them not bordered by Havertown. It only borders the Llanerch section. Also, the only "shady" section of Drexel Hill is bordered by Clifton Heights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Not to nitpick, but Havertown is actually a ZCTA (zip code tabulation area), not a CDP (though it would be interesting how the census bureau would define Havertown if it were to recognize it as a CDP, which, in fairness, it probably should). As you probably know, a little bit of the zip code juts into Upper Darby Township. A tiny little sliver even crosses over into Lower Merion.
According to Wikipedia, it's an "unincorporated residential area". Anyway, the boundaries I found were along West Chester Pike and Manoa Road when I searched Google Maps. The rest was apparently Haverford township.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:33 AM

9,331 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
According to Wikipedia, it's an "unincorporated residential area". Anyway, the boundaries I found were along West Chester Pike and Manoa Road when I searched Google Maps. The rest was apparently Haverford township.
An unincorporated residential area can be many things. In the case of Havertown, it's a zip code which covers about 3/4 of Haverford Township. Part of the Ardmore CDP covers Haverford Township as well. Beyond that, it's bits and pieces of otherwise undefined 19096/Wynnewood, 19041/Haverford, and 19010/Bryn Mawr.

I saw Google Maps' Havertown overlay as well, which seems rather small (I know some of 19083 goes by different sub-community names, but I figured it would at least stretch out to Earlington Road and down to Township Line).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia