Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Philly a cosmopolitan city?
Yes 37 75.51%
No 12 24.49%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 07:09 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,651,760 times

Advertisements

Cosmo? Nah, I think it's a Vanity Fair city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 09:48 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
For me, Philly, Baltimore, and Providence are easier pills to swallow because they're less cosmopolitan than Boston, New York, and D.C.
Philly is certainly more cosmopolitan than Providence and Baltimore. Give it some credit, it can hold ground against Boston and DC.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:00 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I think philly represents a lot of nationalities. Look at 69th station, nothing is written in the english alphabet there. We walked through the odunde festival and it was the first time in america I thought I was in another country. I think what makes it hard to notice is how subtle and laid back everyone is about it.
Technically, 69th Street is just a few blocks across the border into Delaware County but I understand what you mean.

There are a lot of West Africans in West Philly plus (I'd imagine) a number of African-Americans who are interested in their ancestral history; thus, you have the Odunde Festival.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:00 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Cosmo? Nah, I think it's a Vanity Fair city.
Zing!

Old 06-16-2013, 10:38 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
I was in the Costco at KOP yesterday and I hardly recognize the place from 10-20 years ago when it was 99% white. The biggest change is the citizens of Asian and East Indian descent. The word is out. This region is changing pretty quickly from its parochial past.

KOP area seems to be a pretty big hub of newcomers I suppose from the pharma and tech industries.

The 2020 and 2030 census reports are going to shock a lot of people. The days of 80% white majority are over for the Philadelphia region. Although i suspect those opposed to integration will have their strongholds probbaly on the outskirts. Chester County Central/Upper Bucks /Montco etc.

Last edited by rainrock; 06-16-2013 at 10:51 AM..

Old 06-16-2013, 12:12 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I was in the Costco at KOP yesterday and I hardly recognize the place from 10-20 years ago when it was 99% white. The biggest change is the citizens of Asian and East Indian descent. The word is out. This region is changing pretty quickly from its parochial past.

KOP area seems to be a pretty big hub of newcomers I suppose from the pharma and tech industries.

The 2020 and 2030 census reports are going to shock a lot of people. The days of 80% white majority are over for the Philadelphia region. Although i suspect those opposed to integration will have their strongholds probbaly on the outskirts. Chester County Central/Upper Bucks /Montco etc.
Yes, that's definitely the trend. I think what makes Philadelphia interesting is that it has always been fairly ethnically diverse (among whites -- consider the numerous types of European-American communities here), but it's also attracting a diverse set of new immigrants. Whereas other cities tend to have immigrant communities dominated by a couple of ethnic groups (Hispanics/Latinos in particular in the Sun Belt), Philly is attracting immigrants from many different areas across the globe.

So, to answer the OP, Philly is certainly not on the cosmo level of NYC or DC, but -- like all major metros -- the trends are moving in that direction. Considering that all of the growth in the region is being made up either by births (which are more likely to be from racial minorities) or immigrants, diversification is happening more quickly than people think:

"The number of immigrants arriving in Philadelphia annually has jumped from about 5,000 people a year to over 7,000 a year."

Philly gets more diverse, stays forever young

Regionally, the Philly area has added 38,000 immigrants in the past 2 years. This ranks the region 11th nationally and puts it very close to the levels of fast-growing cities like Dallas and Atlanta -- and even ahead of Seattle. I can assure you that wasn't the case 10 years ago.

http://www.governing.com/blogs/by-th...tro-areas.html

Last edited by Duderino; 06-16-2013 at 12:30 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 12:31 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

"The number of immigrants arriving in Philadelphia annually [ B]has jumped from about 5,000 people a year to over 7,000 [/b]a year."

And Add the influx of 2nd 3rd generation minorities that are/will eventually find Philadelphia more livable & affordable than NY-Dc..

That article I believe is talking about Philadelphia County alone. From what I am seeing out in KOP this looks like a hub of 2nd 3rd generation newcomers. Think 2012 Lexus,BMW's,Land Cruisers.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:37 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
And Add the influx of 2nd 3rd generation minorities that are/will eventually find Philadelphia more livable & affordable than NY-Dc..

That article I believe is talking about Philadelphia County alone. From what I am seeing out in KOP this looks like a hub of 2nd 3rd generation newcomers. Think 2012 Lexus,BMW's,Land Cruisers.
Yes, you're correct. The Philly region is now attracting around 20,000 immigrants per year.

I think we can put to rest this tired notion that the Philly region is stagnant and "provincial."

Old 06-16-2013, 03:46 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,908 times
Eh I love Philly's provinciality. I love asking for lager and getting Yuengling without hesitation. I love our sports reputation, and I love when outsiders complain that everyone wears Philly sports apparel too much.

That said, Philly most certainly has a very underappreciated cosmopolitan air that you can find if you dig just a bit below the surface.

Also, just to clarify, when I say provinciality, I'm not talking about race or ethnicity, as the OP seems to be. I'm just referring to the general mannerisms/trends/whatever of people from this region.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:35 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:
That said, Philly most certainly has a very underappreciated cosmopolitan air that you can find if you dig just a bit below the surface.
that's my take on the city having grown up in CT and NY

it's still defintely rough around the edges, but that's the appeal imo
i've said it before, but it reminds me of a nyc boro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia