Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 01:33 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
If you're gonna move, move abroad. London or Paris or Madrid or something like that.
Ha, talk about something easier said than done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 01:34 PM

53 posts, read 80,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
There is no point in moving to Boston or NY from here since the lifestyle will be the same but it will cost you more. Washington DC is something a little different or try Texas or the west coast for a whole new experience. You already have the best of the northeast. Maybe you are just ready for a vacation.
I just had a good talk with my Dad and a couple friends about it and you are absolutely right. Philly is the 4th or 5th biggest city in the U.S. and has alot to offer. Plus, I've only taken one real vacation in the past year and a half due to switching jobs and being a temp at my current one (contract to hire, but the hire part is not working out due to company restructuring). I actually might be accepting a new job today in Camden, not in the bad part, right across the bridge, which would be nice because my current commute to Wayne sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
a friend of mine worked for years in amsterdam and absolutely loved it but most of us aren't so lucky. he moved back to philly in part because it offered relatively inexpensive living and one of the most bikable cities thanks to its small streets (something he picked up in amsterdam). the OP needs to think about what kind of place he'd like to live. something different could mean lots of things, could even live in san juan, PR
I'm very indecisive about some big decisions, and this is one of them. I keep flip-flopping between what I want, but ultimately I just want to be happy and enjoy life while having a career that affords me to travel now and then. I think Philly fits the bill, I just have been going through the motions living day to day and not really realized it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
In the very long-term, I would like to move back one day (it's actually not a bad place to retire, but that's another topic) -- we'll just have to see what the future holds.

If you've already lived abroad and enjoyed it, then you should have a smooth transition to almost anywhere else in the US.
Nice, yea it is a good spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
NYC or DC are TCR if you want a new experience but still want to be able to get home without an extreme degree of hassle. Obviously, getting home from Boston will be much more of a pain. But honestly, I'd worry more about getting a job offer first. If/when that happens, be prepared to take somewhat of a nose-dive in standard of living though, especially in NYC, which doesn't pay all that much more for most junior-level white collar professions. Most Wharton grads only start in the low sixties for consulting gigs.

If you're out most of the time and don't mind giving up your car, living in a Manhattan studio (however cramped) shouldn't faze you too much. The Philly --> NYC --> Philly thing is pretty common anyway.
TCR? That's unfortunate about Wharton grads, especially considering I don't have an MBA. I am concerned about the job situation as well, I tried getting a job in NYC this time last year and couldn't get an interview for the life of me. Everyone wanted someone with more experience or an MBA. So Philly is most likely my best bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I love Philly but I definitely wouldn't mind living somewhere new for a while. I did live in NYC for College but I agree with bryson's post above.

If/when I move somewhere it definitely would not be to NYC/Boston but the West Coast, The South or Central/South America.
Good point, a change of scenery would be the West Coast and not further up the East Coast.

Thanks guys for the advice, I really appreciate it. This coming from a guy who grinds over getting a size 10 or 10.5 for shoes because he wants the best fit, heh.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
If you're gonna move, move abroad. London or Paris or Madrid or something like that.
That would be quite a move. After spending time abroad I much prefer the U.S., as bad as some of the things are here there is more opportunities here. You could literally have the worst work ethic and be employed for your whole life in Italy. Sure it's great being there, but alot of people just don't work hard there, hence why the economy is in the trash. I haven't been to the cities you mentioned but if I go abroad it would not be to one of them.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB52 View Post
I just had a good talk with my Dad and a couple friends about it and you are absolutely right. Philly is the 4th or 5th biggest city in the U.S. and has alot to offer. Plus, I've only taken one real vacation in the past year and a half due to switching jobs and being a temp at my current one (contract to hire, but the hire part is not working out due to company restructuring). I actually might be accepting a new job today in Camden, not in the bad part, right across the bridge, which would be nice because my current commute to Wayne sucks.

I'm very indecisive about some big decisions, and this is one of them. I keep flip-flopping between what I want, but ultimately I just want to be happy and enjoy life while having a career that affords me to travel now and then. I think Philly fits the bill, I just have been going through the motions living day to day and not really realized it.

Nice, yea it is a good spot.

TCR? That's unfortunate about Wharton grads, especially considering I don't have an MBA. I am concerned about the job situation as well, I tried getting a job in NYC this time last year and couldn't get an interview for the life of me. Everyone wanted someone with more experience or an MBA. So Philly is most likely my best bet.

Good point, a change of scenery would be the West Coast and not further up the East Coast.

Thanks guys for the advice, I really appreciate it. This coming from a guy who grinds over getting a size 10 or 10.5 for shoes because he wants the best fit, heh.
TCR = "The Correct Response." And I'm talking about people straight out of Wharton undergrad, so they're in an equivalent position. By simply having a paid, full-time white collar professional job with viable advancement opportunities, you stand among relatively few other 23-year-olds. Not saying you're wrong to try to find another job somewhere else, but the state of the job market will probably make your decision for you.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:40 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
you can just go through the motions anywhere, camden is a really easy commute, heck you might even be able to bike there when it's nice.
take a vacation, I hear spain is cheap because of all the problems they've been having. I know people who have been exploring via megabus and couch surfing which is a cheap way to get around.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:57 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
That would be quite a move. After spending time abroad I much prefer the U.S., as bad as some of the things are here there is more opportunities here. You could literally have the worst work ethic and be employed for your whole life in Italy. Sure it's great being there, but alot of people just don't work hard there, hence why the economy is in the trash. I haven't been to the cities you mentioned but if I go abroad it would not be to one of them.
My first choice, if I were to move, would be Chicago. Then try Boston or Seattle. You could try D.C. Maybe Houston or Atlanta, if you don't mind that type of city.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:00 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:

Well, the commute could just be getting to you. You might not have enough time to enjoy life and do the things you want to do. A new job in Camden may be nice. You could take the PATCO line right over to Camden instead of driving. Might be a more relaxing commute and won't be long. Do any of your friends live in the city? If not invite them down on weekends. See if they're interested in moving to the city. I don't think moving to another city all together is really the answer you're looking for.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Well, the commute could just be getting to you. You might not have enough time to enjoy life and do the things you want to do. A new job in Camden may be nice. You could take the PATCO line right over to Camden instead of driving. Might be a more relaxing commute and won't be long. Do any of your friends live in the city? If not invite them down on weekends. See if they're interested in moving to the city. I don't think moving to another city all together is really the answer you're looking for.
I missed the part about the new job in Camden. I'd try that first. IIRC, the commute out to Wayne has (understandably) been getting to you. You'll be able to enjoy Philly a lot more when your commute becomes relatively painless.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
TCR = "The Correct Response." And I'm talking about people straight out of Wharton undergrad, so they're in an equivalent position. By simply having a paid, full-time white collar professional job with viable advancement opportunities, you stand among relatively few other 23-year-olds. Not saying you're wrong to try to find another job somewhere else, but the state of the job market will probably make your decision for you.
Ah ok, not caught up with the lingo here yet. Wharton undergrad is a big difference, but yea that's around what my friend is currently making up there and he barely breaks even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
you can just go through the motions anywhere, camden is a really easy commute, heck you might even be able to bike there when it's nice.
take a vacation, I hear spain is cheap because of all the problems they've been having. I know people who have been exploring via megabus and couch surfing which is a cheap way to get around.
I was thinking about possibly biking, although I'm at 16th and Walnut so it would be some commute. I definitely plan on taking a vacation as soon as I can, I love to travel and there are so many places to go. Spain sounds cool, I've always wanted to visit there (and all across Europe hah).

Quote:
My first choice, if I were to move, would be Chicago. Then try Boston or Seattle. You could try D.C. Maybe Houston or Atlanta, if you don't mind that type of city.
I wouldn't move to Houston or Atlanta. Chicago is a possibility, but I think Philly has been cemented in my mind due to my possible new job and what other posters said.

Quote:
The commute does suck, everyone here says it gets easier in the summer but it has only gotten worse. It takes me minimum 1hr, but more like 1.5hours each way. I'm not familiar with public transportation so I will check out the PATCO line. I have a couple friends in the city but most are in NYC or Conneticut and they are staying there. I do invite them down to the Jersey shore and we are all getting together down there this weekend which will be good. You are right about not changing cities, I just need to do more in Philly.

Quote:
I missed the part about the new job in Camden. I'd try that first. IIRC, the commute out to Wayne has (understandably) been getting to you. You'll be able to enjoy Philly a lot more when your commute becomes relatively painless.
Yup, the commute definitely has been. I'm hoping that is the case once my commute is alot shorter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia