Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 12:49 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Middletown is nowhere near comparable to Glenolden or Darby..please. Plus the fact that Middletown is surrounded by other wealthy communities makes it very hard for me to believe that the town could ever become like inner delco. The town is full of upper middle class people, located in one of the best school districts in the area. Again, middletown is not the town I would worry about going downhill.
Was just at my dentist's office to say. She LOVES it and has been there for 10 years. My cardiologist loves it too. Would love to move there if I could afford it. Can't remember the name of the architect, but he did those cool, retro organic homes in the Riddlewood area as well as many of the wooded settings throughout the large township. Also the homes there hold their value very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 07:11 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Was just at my dentist's office to say. She LOVES it and has been there for 10 years. My cardiologist loves it too. Would love to move there if I could afford it. Can't remember the name of the architect, but he did those cool, retro organic homes in the Riddlewood area as well as many of the wooded settings throughout the large township. Also the homes there hold their value very well.
Riddlewood PA Home Sales Activity Report - Media PA 19063

Some information about the Riddlewood neighborhood. Is George Hay the architect you are thinking of?

The neighborhood features small splits and capes and still remains a sought after community in the middletown area with steady and slightly increasing home prices.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:25 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,353 times
Quote:
Riddlewood PA Home Sales Activity Report - Media PA 19063

Some information about the Riddlewood neighborhood. Is George Hay the architect you are thinking of?

The neighborhood features small splits and capes and still remains a sought after community in the middletown area with steady and slightly increasing home prices.
Yes! That's him, cpomp, thanks. There's only one undesirable street there, which I believe is Man O War (or is it War Trophy?) which actually acts as a cut-through street from 452 (Pennell) to Baltimore Pike. They usually take a bit longer to sell; people come ripping by there at top speed.

Saw your comment regarding the unwillingness for Middletowners to accept the developers' proposals. Not trying to take sides, but from what I recall reading, back from the "Save Middletown" days, the residents were not satisfied that the contractors were adequately taking care of traffic flow - which really is horrible from the Mall/hospital area to the YMCA. They were afraid it would only get worse for the feeder areas off of Pennell.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Yes! That's him, cpomp, thanks. There's only one undesirable street there, which I believe is Man O War (or is it War Trophy?) which actually acts as a cut-through street from 452 (Pennell) to Baltimore Pike. They usually take a bit longer to sell; people come ripping by there at top speed.

Saw your comment regarding the unwillingness for Middletowners to accept the developers' proposals. Not trying to take sides, but from what I recall reading, back from the "Save Middletown" days, the residents were not satisfied that the contractors were adequately taking care of traffic flow - which really is horrible from the Mall/hospital area to the YMCA. They were afraid it would only get worse for the feeder areas off of Pennell.

I think its Man O War. I am am a member at the Rocky Run Y and occasionally drive by to go to Wolfs and some of the homes on Man O War need some TLC.

I dont see how the traffic could get any worse in the area but I do know that a new road would be constructed where the postal service and Wawa used to be, for drivers from route 1 who want to go south on 452. That would help a lot for the terrible light at route 1 and 452.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:19 AM

76 posts, read 203,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
It would have happened already.
HeavenWood, just curious as to why you think Newtown Square never "made the cut" with the Main Line. Of course, I know that the Main Line was established as being along what is now Route 30. But we both know that there are certain communities that don't run along Route 30 that make the cut (Bala Cynwyd). I thought that it was only within the past 10-15 years that people are considering the Main Line to extend as far west as Malvern. Some people debate that it extends to include Paoli, but I've heard mixed things about that. Anyway, why do you think Newtown Square wasn't slapped with the Main Line reputation?

Old 08-08-2013, 12:34 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCdelco View Post
HeavenWood, just curious as to why you think Newtown Square never "made the cut" with the Main Line. Of course, I know that the Main Line was established as being along what is now Route 30. But we both know that there are certain communities that don't run along Route 30 that make the cut (Bala Cynwyd). I thought that it was only within the past 10-15 years that people are considering the Main Line to extend as far west as Malvern. Some people debate that it extends to include Paoli, but I've heard mixed things about that. Anyway, why do you think Newtown Square wasn't slapped with the Main Line reputation?
I don't think it's a question of "making the cut" so much as social/geographic proximity to the railroad corridor. I suppose points west of Paoli like Malvern were close enough to become de facto "incorporated" after they experienced a spike in development. FWIW, I think most of Newtown Square (save for portions on/immediately adjacent to West Chester Pike would fit in fine with the Main Line--definitely more so than places like Exton, which are sometimes claimed.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCdelco View Post

HeavonWood can add, but Newtown Square does not have a train station that serves that "Main Line" route. Also newtown square is too far out to be considered part of the main line.

One point that makes me laugh is how Newtown Square and now parts of West Chester like to associate themselves with the Main Line or Media. New homes built in the Newtown Square area always have the slogan "Main Line Living at its Best" or "minutes from Media" Newtown Square is a beautiful area, and has been known as a very wealthy pretty area, it does not need to be a part of the Main Line to be like that. And it is not an insult to not be a part of the Main Line, just so you know.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:47 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Newtown Square is a beautiful area, and has been known as a very wealthy pretty area, it does not need to be a part of the Main Line to be like that. And it is not an insult to not be a part of the Main Line, just so you know.
Exactly.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
HeavonWood can add, but Newtown Square does not have a train station that serves that "Main Line" route. Also newtown square is too far out to be considered part of the main line.

One point that makes me laugh is how Newtown Square and now parts of West Chester like to associate themselves with the Main Line or Media. New homes built in the Newtown Square area always have the slogan "Main Line Living at its Best" or "minutes from Media" Newtown Square is a beautiful area, and has been known as a very wealthy pretty area, it does not need to be a part of the Main Line to be like that. And it is not an insult to not be a part of the Main Line, just so you know.

Of course it's not an insult to not be part of the Main Line. There are plenty of areas that have good homes, good school districts, and everything else that most people look for when choosing where to buy a home. The main thing that separates the Main Line from other places like Newtown Square, Media, etc. is exclusivity. If I had a $250k budget I could easily find a suitable home in Newtown Square or Media. $250k will get you pretty much nothing more than a shack on the Main Line. It's exclusive. It costs big bucks to live there. Call it pretension, or whatever you will, but there's a reason why people who make big money choose to call the Main Line home.

That being said, there are plenty of gorgeous properties in both Newtown Square and Media. There's just a bit more socioeconomic disparity in those areas. Media has a lot going for it with State Street and the whole downtown area. Some parts of Newtown Square offer houses that are on huge plots of land. People who are putting those priorities at the top of their list when house hunting might choose those areas over the Main Line. I'm not saying one is better than the other, as it's truly a matter of personal preference and what works for your family and your budget. I'm just saying that there is an element of exclusivity in Main Line living (like it or not) that separates it from other wealthy, suburban areas outside of Philadelphia.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:11 PM

And in case I didn't make my opinion clear in my last post, I prefer the Main Line. I've lived in/had friends from all over Delaware County, but I still prefer this area in particular. I've already discussed the differences between the Main Line and Media.

Swarthmore- I really love the aesthetic appeal of Swarthmore. I love the curb appeal of the homes, the amazing architecture, the neatly manicured lawns, the hundred year old trees, the community feel. I don't like the location. That's not to say that I would never live in Swarthmore because, to be honest, I wouldn't rule it out. However, I only started becoming familiar with that area in my early twenties. I spent most of my youth/teen years surrounded by the Main Line. It was kind of a shock to my system to find out that other areas in Delaware County could be just as beautiful and have homes that rival those along the Main Line. What I don't like in Swarthmore is some of the new housing that's being built. That fake stone look is not aesthetically pleasing in my opinion, and quite frankly I think it will turn some people off to the neighborhood who were originally drawn into it because of it's big, old homes. I think new construction can look nice if it's in the right area. I don't think Swarthmore is the right area for this. I'm also not entirely comfortable with Swarthmore's proximity to places like Folsom and Chester. I am in no way, shape, or form putting Folsom and Chester in the same category, I'm just saying I would be more comfortable with my children hanging around a neighborhood that was surrounded by neighborhoods equal to their own. Swarthmore is a true gem placed in the middle of working class to middle class suburbs.

Wallingford- As I understand it, Wallingford has some gorgeous homes with some outrageous taxes to go along with it. I hear the school district is solid. But I've also heard something about Wallingford residents attending Strath Haven? I'm not too sure about the truth behind this, but I was always under the impression that Strath Haven wasn't a model school by any means. All I've really heard about Wallingford is people complaining about the taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia