Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:18 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,779,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Surprised you're saying that...my Giant has better prices than my local Acme.
Seriously? Whole Foods has better prices than Acme. Acme is the most overpriced food chain anywhere. Even Giant compares their prices to Acme to make you think you are getting a bargain. Shoprite will save you 20-30% over Giant. I am sure that is why Shoprite is now number one in our market while Acme falls further behind. The newer Giants are very nice and they are trying hard but they can't compete with SR in price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
The more the merrier.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again--outside of the high-end / specialty markets--Wegman's, Whole Foods, TJ's--Giant's the best around. I know a lot of people worship at the altar of ShopRite, but I've never seen anything about ShopRite, any ShopRite, that impressed me.
It's all about the savings. If you are on a budget that extra $20. you save with every shopping trip really adds up. Suddenly it's $100. per month extra in your pocket.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:09 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,381,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
that is why Shoprite is now number one in our market
Giant is #1 in the Philly market now.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:54 PM

197 posts, read 280,197 times
I was hoping some of the former Genuardis could end up as Pak N Save discount supermarkets, which have been a Safeway tradition in California for over 20 years now. The size of the Genuardis in Glen Mills would have been perfect for this concept, but it would have been a very poor fit for the center, which now has a Whole Foods. Also, having a Pak N Save in Springfield instead of two Giants a mile or two apart would have been better for variety.

And not only is it remarkable really that Acme stays in business, but I have NO idea what keeps Super Fresh and Pathmark (now the same company) alive. Most of the stores in those two chains are stuck in the 70s, especially in the case of Pathmark. I suppose there just is no land for competition to adequately surround Super Fresh and Pathmark stores, to drive those chains out of business. The same is true to a lesser extent of Acme. Even after so many rounds of closings over the years, awful Acmes like the one in Maple Shade NJ (NOT the one on Lenola near Moorestown), Audubon NJ, Clayton NJ, Roxborough, Oxford, and several in Wilmington have managed to survive. And logically, the next Super Fresh to close should be the one in New Castle DE, which has hardly changed since being an A&P over 30 years ago, but this store has outlived many that opened later. Same with the stores run by Super Fresh in Wynnewood and Gladwyne, but Giant now has stores in Wynnewood and Wayne, which were formerly Genuardis, so that will likely change soon. Super Fresh also has stores in Newark DE and the Branmar section of Wilmington which are also antiques. And the Super G in Wilmington is also a store that has held on despite being orphaned by all its twins in PA and NJ, along with the Safeway in Wilmington (was Genuardis) and the Genuardis in Audubon PA near Norristown, which just happens to neighbor the Wine & Spirits store with the LCB Montgomery County headquarters. Strange to think that around the same time this Genuardis closes in the next year or two, state stores may also vanish right around the same time.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
If this is true then it just happened but I wouldn't be surprised. The way Giant has blanketed our area, it seems like every intersection has one and consumers don't have much choice. If you are lucky you have a Wegmans or a Shoprite close by, otherwise it's Giant or starve.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
If this is true then it just happened but I wouldn't be surprised. The way Giant has blanketed our area, it seems like every intersection has one and consumers don't have much choice. If you are lucky you have a Wegmans or a Shoprite close by, otherwise it's Giant or go hungry.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:57 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Giant is just the best of a bad lot. There are more things to a grocery store than price (that being said, there's still no earthly reason to shop at Acme, LOL).

I never thought I'd miss Genuardi, but I do.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-02-2013 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: rude/off topic

Old 07-01-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Giant is just the best of a bad lot. There are more things to a grocery store than price (that being said, there's still no earthly reason to shop at Acme, LOL).
I have always thought that people who shop at Acme have probably never shopped anywhere else and have no idea how much they are being ripped off (although it doesn't take much to figure it out. Just a little comparison shopping.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:48 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monicapies View Post
I was hoping some of the former Genuardis could end up as Pak N Save discount supermarkets, which have been a Safeway tradition in California for over 20 years now. The size of the Genuardis in Glen Mills would have been perfect for this concept, but it would have been a very poor fit for the center, which now has a Whole Foods. Also, having a Pak N Save in Springfield instead of two Giants a mile or two apart would have been better for variety.

Most of the Genuardis are not in areas where a Pak N Save is necessary, that seems like a very low end store.

Im glad your aware that Glen Mills is not the prime location for a Pak N Save, especially that shopping center. I dont think many people in Glen Mills would head over to Pak N Save after shopping at Banana Republic and Benjamin Lovell Shoes....

Old 07-02-2013, 10:27 AM

197 posts, read 280,197 times
Pak N Save is nothing like Save-A-Lot, Amelias, Bottom Dollar, Aldi, etc. Here are some pictures of a Pak N Save store inside: Photos for Pak N Save | Yelp

It reminds me a lot of the old Newtown Square and to a lesser extent, Springfield Genuardis. The one in Newtown Square was in awful condition when it closed.

So it really is just a Safeway without all the newer bells and whistles like Starbucks, gourmet peanut butter, etc. But it still is far from a bare grocery store with no deli, bakery, etc that are already found in the Philly area.

And cpomp, could you read my last post on the Aston thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia