U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 01:16 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,520,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
but most whites or most blacks are not running towards each other to date, mate or marry and or move next to one another
That's entirely one's prerogative...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 10:35 AM

3,042 posts, read 8,202,159 times
yes and so is their racism in philly as well, their prerogative

Old 01-22-2009, 01:42 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,752,720 times
Quote:
84% for Obama, but still philly is segregated by race, economics, ethnicity and the people still are quite intolerant and racist on the street--i know i live downtown as an AA and get it all the time. they voted against bush and against the last 8 years, but most whites or most blacks are not running towards each other to date, mate or marry and or move next to one another-so racism is still a major issue even in most democratically run cities.
Hope you don't mind my joining this discussion. I think the people of my generation (I'm an old lady of 50) are simply more comfortable in homogeneous groups. But I certainly think younger people are much more diversity-oriented. One of my nieces is married to an African American man; another is married to an African American/American Indian man. They are very happy; their children are positively edible and comfortable in both black and white cultures. And they grew up in the middle class burbs of Hatboro. I would think the city would be even more comfortable with diversity. Sorry to hear that it is not.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:34 PM

well wiht respect for you soulsurv, it seems most people in my generation (in my early 40s) and younger in Philadelphia still remain in homogenous groups

my wife is white and i am black, we are one of very few interracial couples in center city and when we lived in mt airy and chestnut hill still the same.

segregation, institutional or otherwise is still segregation and a form of racism

Old 01-22-2009, 05:58 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
yo - i'm indian an bought a house over here in queen village. and i've lived 6 yrs in nyc. if there's racism, its due to any city with a high minority population. that's life! you don't think queens got racism?

i hear you man, if racism is a problem move to nebraska - have fun baby

oh wait, im sorry - carolina!!

Old 01-22-2009, 06:02 PM

587 posts, read 1,461,670 times
There is racism everywhere. I've lived in PA and TX and I've seen it both places, same words, same level of ignorance. It's ugly wherever you see it.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:04 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,752,720 times
Quote:
well wiht respect for you soulsurv, it seems most people in my generation (in my early 40s) and younger in Philadelphia still remain in homogenous groups

my wife is white and i am black, we are one of very few interracial couples in center city and when we lived in mt airy and chestnut hill still the same.

segregation, institutional or otherwise is still segregation and a form of racism
I don't get into the city much these days. Of course, I believe you, jack...I'm just rather stunned by it. Has time stood still? What is up with that?

Old 01-23-2009, 07:20 AM

3,299 posts, read 10,753,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
I don't get into the city much these days. Of course, I believe you, jack...I'm just rather stunned by it. Has time stood still? What is up with that?
It's not just Philly. DC is very segregated in many areas, so much so that my dad always asks me "where are all the black people?". NW is overwhelmingly white, NE and SE outside of Capitol Hill are overwhelmingly black. SW (where I live) is a little mixed in my neighborhood, probably due to its proximity to downtown and the Capitol, but all black once you cross the Anacostia River.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:20 AM

21 posts, read 86,803 times
Philadelphia is an extremely segregated city. I was born and raised here. I moved to Hatboro when I was 24. I'm black and my husband is white. We dont really experience any racism overt or hidden in Hatboro, but when we are in Philly, all eyes are on us. It doesn't stop us from visiting though.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:30 PM

hmmm, the topic was the negatives and positives of philadelphia, not other places, so i was listing the Negatives--if you all think racism is a positive then hey no wonder it is still here

and juniper you are right, thats why i put it in the Negative column for Philadelphia(we arent talking about Nebraska or DC)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or