U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2009, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia,New Jersey, NYC!
6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
Reputation: 2669

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
hmmm, the topic was the negatives and positives of philadelphia, not other places, so i was listing the Negatives--if you all think racism is a positive then hey no wonder it is still here

and juniper you are right, thats why i put it in the Negative column for Philadelphia(we arent talking about Nebraska or DC)
i'm not yelling at you. i supporting you....i just know that i've faced a lot
of racism myself in the nyc area. i guess its all about frame of reference. sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2009, 08:33 AM
 
3,042 posts, read 8,202,159 times
Reputation: 1154
yes and if the question was about NYC, I would have said one of the negatives there is Racism also.

i know you were yelling, i just dont know why people get off topic as the topic was the Negatives and Positives of Philly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 PM
 
6 posts, read 17,647 times
Reputation: 12
Sounds like a great place for law-abiding citizens to start carrying firearms.

Remember, if you take away guns from the law-abiding citizens, only the crooks will be armed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2009, 11:19 PM
 
Location: South Philly
1,943 posts, read 6,301,861 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJSKI View Post
I'm black and my husband is white. We dont really experience any racism overt or hidden in Hatboro, but when we are in Philly, all eyes are on us. It doesn't stop us from visiting though.
are all eyes on you because it's novel? because people think it's cool? or you hear people whispering and making rude comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 07:51 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,836 times
Reputation: 10
I moved here a couple years ago so my wife sould be closer to her family. I lived in NYC (a REAL city) and Boston (much like philly only WITH class). I have found Philly to be a crude palce loaded to the brim with uneducated and unaccepting trashy people. I guess they gather all the trash and dump it here? The native population is completely JARHEADED and unwilling to accept outside thought or progress.

Philly really is a little bubble - actually more like an infected pimple. I regret every single moment I have lived in this hole of a place.

I can say one thing - I enjoyed coming into Philly for their whopping 4 square blocks of inhabitble city scape years ago and even those places have gone terrible like the rest of this HOLE of a city and the ignorant people. OH - and the accent makes the people sound like a group of hillbillies that highjacked a popluated area.

This town is a joke and is in need DESPERATELY of a re-do. Let's go back like 300 years and try again. This is like Newark NJ - only south.

Philly is a degenerate city AT BEST.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 08:36 AM
 
2,943 posts, read 3,906,970 times
Reputation: 3582
Positives:

Cost: This is a very cheap city to live in considering we're smack in the middle of DC and NY. Not just in the rent sense, but taxes and general Cost-Of-Living expenses are very much doable compared to much of the rest of the country.

Location: Like I said, we're two hours from DC and an hour from NY. The Beach is on one side and the Mountains on the other. Can't beat it

Weather: This one is subjective, but for me I have to have seasons. From heat to snow to crisp to breezy we get a taste of everything during the year. That said, we're largley spared from the Hurricanes/Tornados/Extremes that plauge much of the rest of the country

Homley: Philadelphia just feels more "comfortable" than some of the more cosmopolitan cities. Not as much pretense to daily life as just people simply doing whatever.

Beauty: From Lancaster to the covered bridges to the murals, Philadelphia definetly can offer up some pretty visual sights from time to time

Negitives:



The People: This one is going to probably bring on the flames, but in my time here I have come to the conclusion that the biggest thing that works against Philadelphia is Philadelphians. Despite two Ivy League universities within our area and a wealth of history, I have never seen such a pervasive and ingrained mentality of ignorance amongst a populace. The level of litter, even in the burbs, is a stark symbol of this. As someone with special needs, the level of hostility often brought by total strangers is disturbing. I've actually had projectiles and obscenites thrown at me from passing motorists from the local douchebag set. People here worship violence and often your arrest record is more a ticket to popualrity than say, being talented at something. As far as class and race goes, you can cut the hostility in the air with a knife. The markers and divides between rich, poor, black, white are deep and omnipresent. Being reactionary and angry is the overriding emotion in the civic sphere and fear of anything outside ones little bubble shapes many people's mindset. Everything from crime to corruption to the lack of progress in many areas all stemm from a region which confuses ignorance with authenticity. Does all this apply to everyone? No. But it's a large enough subset to color the entire vibe of the Delaware Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 09:21 AM
 
119 posts, read 547,725 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTandLTsvillePA View Post
I moved here a couple years ago so my wife sould be closer to her family. I lived in NYC (a REAL city) and Boston (much like philly only WITH class). I have found Philly to be a crude palce loaded to the brim with uneducated and unaccepting trashy people. I guess they gather all the trash and dump it here? The native population is completely JARHEADED and unwilling to accept outside thought or progress.

Philly really is a little bubble - actually more like an infected pimple. I regret every single moment I have lived in this hole of a place.

I can say one thing - I enjoyed coming into Philly for their whopping 4 square blocks of inhabitble city scape years ago and even those places have gone terrible like the rest of this HOLE of a city and the ignorant people. OH - and the accent makes the people sound like a group of hillbillies that highjacked a popluated area.

This town is a joke and is in need DESPERATELY of a re-do. Let's go back like 300 years and try again. This is like Newark NJ - only south.

Philly is a degenerate city AT BEST.



I have an Idea. Why don't you, your failures, your ridiculous NYC/Boston accent, your attitude and complex get the first train ticket outta here. Moderator Cut............People like you are the reason why Philadelphians get a bad name and your not even from here. In all reality we have the same problems that plague most all cities. Boston really classier then Philly.........Never mind I won't stoop to your... perception.

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-20-2010 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: The passion is understandable but a bit personal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 09:25 AM
 
119 posts, read 547,725 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Positives:

Cost: This is a very cheap city to live in considering we're smack in the middle of DC and NY. Not just in the rent sense, but taxes and general Cost-Of-Living expenses are very much doable compared to much of the rest of the country.

Location: Like I said, we're two hours from DC and an hour from NY. The Beach is on one side and the Mountains on the other. Can't beat it

Weather: This one is subjective, but for me I have to have seasons. From heat to snow to crisp to breezy we get a taste of everything during the year. That said, we're largley spared from the Hurricanes/Tornados/Extremes that plauge much of the rest of the country

Homley: Philadelphia just feels more "comfortable" than some of the more cosmopolitan cities. Not as much pretense to daily life as just people simply doing whatever.

Beauty: From Lancaster to the covered bridges to the murals, Philadelphia definetly can offer up some pretty visual sights from time to time

Negitives:



The People: This one is going to probably bring on the flames, but in my time here I have come to the conclusion that the biggest thing that works against Philadelphia is Philadelphians. Despite two Ivy League universities within our area and a wealth of history, I have never seen such a pervasive and ingrained mentality of ignorance amongst a populace. The level of litter, even in the burbs, is a stark symbol of this. As someone with special needs, the level of hostility often brought by total strangers is disturbing. I've actually had projectiles and obscenites thrown at me from passing motorists from the local douchebag set. People here worship violence and often your arrest record is more a ticket to popualrity than say, being talented at something. As far as class and race goes, you can cut the hostility in the air with a knife. The markers and divides between rich, poor, black, white are deep and omnipresent. Being reactionary and angry is the overriding emotion in the civic sphere and fear of anything outside ones little bubble shapes many people's mindset. Everything from crime to corruption to the lack of progress in many areas all stemm from a region which confuses ignorance with authenticity. Does all this apply to everyone? No. But it's a large enough subset to color the entire vibe of the Delaware Valley.


I've read a lot of your posts and you make some valid points but you come off as someone who suffers from a very fragile ego and is easily offended by the most trivial of things. Perhaps the big city isn't for you especially a city in the N.E.......JMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 10:21 AM
 
2,943 posts, read 3,906,970 times
Reputation: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickvic277 View Post
I've read a lot of your posts and you make some valid points but you come off as someone who suffers from a very fragile ego and is easily offended by the most trivial of things. Perhaps the big city isn't for you especially a city in the N.E.......JMHO
\



Yes, anyone who doesn't like Philly obviously is the one with the problem. It's not like it's dropped from 3rd to 6th place in population since 1950 or anything.

I think I'll ignore your psychological assesment thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 11:52 AM
 
8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Reputation: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
\



Yes, anyone who doesn't like Philly obviously is the one with the problem. It's not like it's dropped from 3rd to 6th place in population since 1950 or anything.
To be fair, I think it's more the fact that the Phoenix and Houston metro populations have come on strong - let alone that each city proper is much bigger - than a significant drop in the Philly metros. And I suspect that Phoenix, which is suffering through one of the more challenging busts, may be slipping back down in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top