U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:23 AM

4,101 posts, read 7,869,465 times

Advertisements

Overall, a great city but it has drawbacks, The natives do not know how to speak properly. They tend to be very abrasive. Most of these types live in South Philly or the Northeast. The cool people you meet actually are not natives. The natives are generally barbarians who paint their face green and scream at Tvs as their loser football team loses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 10:00 AM

35 posts, read 177,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Overall, a great city but it has drawbacks, The natives do not know how to speak properly. They tend to be very abrasive. Most of these types live in South Philly or the Northeast. The cool people you meet actually are not natives. The natives are generally barbarians who paint their face green and scream at Tvs as their loser football team loses.
outsiders will never understand!!!! LOL

Old 11-14-2007, 10:42 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post

awesome! lol

Old 11-14-2007, 12:53 PM

3,653 posts, read 4,623,558 times
Philadelphia sucks. The ghetto chaos overflows throughout the city.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:08 PM

4,745 posts, read 7,845,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Philadelphia sucks. The ghetto chaos overflows throughout the city.
Didn't you just say the other day how it really depends on the neighborhood in which you live? I'm not saying you don't have a right to an opinion, but I think the point of this thread is to try to justify the reason for Philly having these conflicting images of being both a city with "ghetto chaos" and one with beautiful and pleasant neighborhoods in which to reside. I think most that know the city from personal experience would say it's both, but if you don't describe this difference, it can come off very misleading to potential transplants -- let alone how they interpret inconsistent opinions from the same poster. I only pick on you because you come off as a pretty seasoned Philadelphian.

Last edited by Duderino; 11-14-2007 at 03:19 PM..

Old 11-14-2007, 06:44 PM

Yes, I'm oversimplying. I had a bad day today, and am taking it out on the city (but the bad day is related to what I'm saying). Seriously though, there are ways in which anti-social behavior spills out into public spaces all over the place.

If a mod. wants to delete my post because it's not really on-target with the theme of thread (giving more detailed examples of pros and cons), that would be okay.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 14,906 times
I'm a native philadelphian and am looking to leave for san diego. I've only lived in DC for 4 years, so I don't have much to draw upon but overall Phila is a very working class city. There are gentrified areas like center city, northern liberties, fairmount, etc but much of the neighborhoods are ethnic enclaves and like one poster said very ghetto. I work at one of the local universities and many of the graduate students who come here like it, so I think outsiders may enjoy it, especially if they come from the Northeast US or mid-atlantic. So, there is definitely more than one perspective.

I guess what I don't like about the city principally is the native population. People are downright rude, are uneducated, have bad attitudes and do not care about improving their surroundings. There has been a big out-migration of population and a big brain drain, which the city has long tried to solve, but to no avail. Also, there is a big culture of corruption in city government.

I'm just presenting one perspective, but this is something that you will definitely see should you move here.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:24 PM

1,943 posts, read 7,906,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke81 View Post
Hi! I am most probably going to move to the USA next summer to work thereas a German teacer, but I haven't yet chosen a city to go to. Philadelphia seems like a great place, and I heard so many good things about it, but on the other hand I also heard very negative things. Do the positive or the negative things prevail? I have some questions. Center City seems like a great place, but could you find an apartment there for about 900 Dollar a month? If not where could you find a place like that close to Center City, with good public transport? Wat is public transport like in Philadelphia?Can you live without a car? How liberal is the city, the more liberal the better Is the nghtlife ok, and are there a lot of people in my age (late 20s) who are fun and intelligent but no yuppies? How bad is the crime. In this forum I read some people complaining crime is horrible, others said it's like everywhere else and contained to certain areas. What about the weather. I can live with both heat and cold, but I really hate fog and overcast skies for weeks at a time (I had that now for 26 years in Austria from December to February..) Winter is fine, rain is fin, heat is fine, clouds are fine, but not for days or weks without seeing the sun. This is not a major argument though.
Thanks a lot in advance.

I will answer as much as I can:

1-You might be able to find an efficiency for about $900- my girlfriend had one for $700, but she also got lucky, AND this was 2 years ago...and not on the best street (hookers on the corner and living across the street from her)
2. Public transportation is all over Philly, so yes, you can live without a car...now, wherever you are going is whether or not you WANT to take public transportation- like to a bad neighborhood, but the answer is yes- you can live without a car.
3. Yes, the nightlife is great, and Philly has a variety of people- no need to worry about that!
4. Crime is awful, and not contained to certain areas. Of course specific areas have more crime than others...but it is all over. I had lived in the better part of Philly...and my husband's car was broken into, mine was stolen, my mother's house was broken into; I found dime bags on my front lawn (NOT MINE)...my friend who lived in center city got mugged, the restuarant I worked for in a better part of NE PHilly got held up; I was held up, along with other employees, by 5 nice individuals holding shotguns...got hit in the head with a gun...thrown into a freezer...
5. I guess there are smoggier cities...but having been out of Philly...when I visit it...I am just amazed at how...gray it looks to me.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:26 PM

7 posts, read 9,435 times
Default English Only

When you leave Germany and come to the US you will find narrow minded, insular people who believe we should all speak the same language because it's patriotic to do so. And that language is English in their minds.

They don't actually tell us which form of English we're all supposed to speak. Olde English. British English. Southern English. Perhaps it's Pittsburghese.

In any case, the country is full of people like this and it can be quite shocking coming from Europe where people pride themselves on speaking many languages, since it's a sign of education and intelligence.

Whatever you do, don't speak Spanish when you come here. Someone might just turn you into Border Patrol.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:54 AM

Since I never actually answered this question. Sure, Philadelphia might be worth visiting for a summer (although, as you, the OP, mention in other posts, the weather can get uncomfortably hot and humid in the summer).

Crime is a problem, but although it isn't strictly limited to this or that neighborhood, the bulk of the violent crime does happen in particular neighborhoods. (Property crime tends to be a different issue altogether. The only time I was ever burglarized was when I was living with my parents in a "nice" suburban area.) You will need to learn the relative risks of different neighborhoods, but that shouldn't be too hard to pick up from locals.

You might be able to find an apartment in your price range, maybe not a 1BR, but a large studio. (I had a large studio in Center City for $450 as recently as seven years ago--around 21st & Arch--but it definitely had its problems. Also, I guess seven years ago is already a long time ago. It just doesn't feel that long ago to me.) I can't help you too much with neighborhoods where rents might be cheaper because I have stuck to Center City and the Art Museum area.

You can definitely live without a car here. Although we ***** and moan about our public transportation system (which does have exceptionally high fares), it's good enough that you can depend on it for getting around in, in most cases. Also, if necessary, it's usually pretty easy to get a taxi.

Philadelphia is pretty solidly liberal politically (more than 80% of the voters are registered Democrats*), and relatively liberal and accepting socially (e.g., there is an officially designated "Gayborhood"). There is a large concentration of colleges and universities here, so there are plenty of young people around because of that. The night life seems good to me, although if you aren't used to clubs shutting down at 2AM, that could be a problem. (People who are used to clubs being open all night, followed by after hours morning clubs at 6AM, do complain about such things.)

*Moderator cut: link

Edit: Where are you planning to teach? Some of the public schools here can be pretty rough--for teachers as well as students. I would be sure to ask a lot of questions about violent incidents in any particular school where you are offered a position. I may have an exaggerated idea of how bad the discipline is in public schools, but there have definitely been some problems with some of them. Here's a link to some of the bad news:

Philadelphia School Violence | Philadelphia Inquirer

When I originally read your post, I mistakenly got the impression that you were just staying here for the summer, rather than for an entire year. I thought maybe it was just for a special summer teaching program of some sort. I can't really recommend the Philadelphia public school system as a place to work, unless you can get into one of the better "magnet" schools.

Last edited by Yac; 12-21-2007 at 12:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or