U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 04:35 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,521,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke81 View Post
Thank you for all your answers. Thank you apartmentnomad, actually I'm no plannin to stay a year, but permanent if like it. Of course I can return if I do't, but I'd prefer to get stay in America. I have always loved this counry, but when 've been here previouslyI never realised how any problems it has.

I read the articles about school violence, and it seems shocking but those are single events and not normal, are they? It isn't like all students in Austria are blond and blue eyed angels, right now I work in a school where 65% of all students are muslims in one of he poorest neighborhoods of vienna, and we have problems here too, and I know how to deal with them, although I never heard about a teacher being seriously physically hurt.

I believe that good teachers can make a diferene, and I do want to make a difference, but I don't want to risk my life I really feel like Philadelphia is a truly great place and if it wasn't with all the criminality and decay I only see good sides. OK weather, close to NY,Washington, the beach, beautiful historic neighborhoods, good public transpot, relatively cheap, a lot of history, great museums, lots to do... I cannot afford to just make a short trp in spring and then decide the flight to there and back is 600 dollars. I could just go there and return after a year if I really hate it, it's an adventure
Did you ever look at Nashville? It's not all country western gomer pyles you know! It's up and coming cheap and kinda weird in a nice way...it's a city willing to take chances to redefine itself...killer bungalows from the 1920's are still affordable here...low taxes, etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 10:55 AM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
You will like living here. Just choose your neighborhood and school wisely. Because in the US violence is spelled with a capital v and guns are for everybody, not just law enforcement.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,749 times
hey luke,

I am german and lived in philly for 3 years in the course of a long stretched law case as a lawyer. I read this forum regularly because I love philly and want to keep in touch with this city even if I don t live there anymore. As a european that faced the same situation as you are going to face I can tell you, yes, you will definitely feel alienated the first 2 weeks from your "european life", but as soon as you get used to the "vibe" of philly you ll love it. Sure, there is crime, and yes, you have to be what they call "street smart" in certain areas (evaluate your surroundings well, don t go to areas you have no information on, never walk with blaring earphones on etc..). But I can honestly tell that I never felt unsafe during my stay in philly, and yes, I frequented some areas where I shouldn t have gone as I was told, but I think if you approach philly opnen minded, a smile on your face to the ppl you get to know, you ll be just as fine as anywhere else.

cultural and nightlife in philly surely rival paris or london, its a city of great contradiction in my opinion, very very poor ppl living just 5 miles away from extremly rich ppl. Still, I love philly and always will, and I saw the bad parts of the city too..

As far as your postings go, you are a smart guy with admirable ambitions, so you will do fine in philly I d say, just the kind of ppl philly needs and welcomes ^^

well, just my impression of philly

Soli

Old 03-22-2008, 06:49 AM

16 posts, read 89,561 times
This is a little off-topic...but I have to admit, reading some of the posts here are making me nervous about visiting Philadelphia. This is orginally why I just wanted to go for a long weekend, and not a week. I still wanna go, but I honestly doubt I'll go back.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:02 AM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeboe View Post
This is a little off-topic...but I have to admit, reading some of the posts here are making me nervous about visiting Philadelphia. This is orginally why I just wanted to go for a long weekend, and not a week. I still wanna go, but I honestly doubt I'll go back.
Don't believe the bad things you read. This is a great city. Come with an open mind.

Last edited by newmarlig; 03-22-2008 at 07:16 AM..

Old 03-22-2008, 08:36 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
how would you compare the level of sophisitcation between NYC and Philly ie the more esoteric stores and such in tribeca versus Philly? Is Philly real estate more than Boston? Also what suburbs are the most upscale close to Philly? Thanks!
well, nyc's sophistication is on another lever (comparable to london, paris). philly, although it has a bit of sophistication, has been known to be more of a blue-collar, grunge, grass-roots arts city. which suits me fine. the last time i visited manhattan, i noticed the lack of grass-roots anything anymore. both the east & w. villages have lost a lot of character that i knew living there. all the lofts are being bought up by celebrities & ultra rich new england people. the more i visit, the more i hang out in brooklyn or queens.

i think some folks here know the affluent suburbs nearby to philly better than i do. i know that moorestown, haddonfield, voorhees are good area across the river in jersey.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:38 AM

3,485 posts, read 8,318,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeboe View Post
You don't know what a place is like until you've spent some time there. Philadelphia will be considerably different than Austin or southwestern U.S. cities; Philly and for that matter all the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic cities tend to look a little rougher/blue collar even in many of the "good" areas (not the CBD, but the neighborhoods) compared to the newer cities in the Southwest because the NE/Mid-Atlantic cities have been around for a long time. The Italian Market area in south Philly definitely fits this description, but to my knowledge it is a safe area. The two things you need to do if you are unsure about the safety of a neighborhood are A) only go there during daylight hours and B) be aware of your surroundings in general, especially at night.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:14 AM

30 posts, read 134,630 times
I am not Philly native and would take NYC or Washington anyday over Philly but now live in Philly metroplex and:

On balance Philly is a good place to live. If you want ocean- 1 hour away. If you want mountains (east coast version) one hour away.

I don't find the people rude.

The mainline out to the western suburbs is a beautiful area with rolling hills and beautiful scenery. Valley Forge- heaven!

The view coming in from the south (95 by the airport) is perhaps the fugliest view of any city I have visited outside of Garry. If that is all you see you will have a bad impression. Same with driving down 95 from NYC.

But come down one of the river drives (Kelly or East River Drive- I guess called MLK now) and it is beautiful.

Center city: not into city living anymore- used to be- but Rittenhouse square area is better than most cities you will visit. The whole Center City area is great.

Crime- come on- big city- big crime. You need to be careful where you live and how you live but how is that any different from NYC, Wash or Baltimore?

I know many families that are raising there kids in the Philly suburbs- Haddonfield, Moorestown, Bala, Haverford, Haddon Heights, Media- and they say they would not live anywhere else.

I, like many folks outside of Philly, have a love hate relationship with the city. But much of that is my increasing desire to get out of the Northeast altogether and move farther south like NC or SC.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:36 AM

11 posts, read 35,810 times
Thumbs up The pros outweigh the cons...

It's true about the homeless population, though. It's definitely rampant. My run-ins with homeless people have varied; ranging from different degrees of annoying and pushy to (only once or twice) aggressive. But I've never felt that I was in danger. When I was younger and new to the city I gave tons of money away (well tons to me, considering I was barely making ends meet). I felt it was my responsibility and I was trying to be a good person. I later learned that I was just being scammed. I've struck up conversations with several individuals that hang around the bus/train stations and tell fabricated sob stories to sympathetic tourists about some awful chain of events that left them stranded and they "just need $5 more to buy a ticket back home". A dollar here five dollars there. You can make $300 on a really good day in the summer! I'm not suggesting a career change but wow, can you believe that? So now I just acknowledge their presence (they are fellow human beings after all) and ignore their requests...because apparently they have the potential to make more than I do. I guess the difference is I don't spend my entire income on booze or crack so I really can't be envious. Anyway, yes, the subways smell like urine. Yes, there is crime- so stay away from dangerous areas. I've always felt completely safe @ all hours in Center City, even unaccompanied. And with $900/month you can DEFINITELY afford a nice apartment in center city. In Queen Village or Bella Vista you'll get more space for your money but you could probably afford a smaller place in Rittenhouse. Also I've seen beautiful lofts listed on Craigslist in Chinatown for around $900 and that is personally my favorite area. It really depends on where exactly you will be working. I am 24 and very liberal, so yes we do exist... and in great numbers here I do believe. I love Philly..except in the winter...there are stretches of greyness that I do not deal with well along with the cold. That's all I've got!
Good luck!

Last edited by Pigheart; 03-27-2008 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: overlooked something

Old 03-28-2008, 01:09 PM

717 posts, read 629,161 times
I dont want ot hear any more Philly NYC comparisions. It is not even close. IF a New York fan goes to a philly sporting event they get spit on, bottles thrown at, punched then thrown out of the game by Philly security. You city is filled with dirtballs. New York has some population that is educated and civilized. I hope your city never wins a Championship again.. The fans get what they deserve!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or