U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 07:26 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,443,110 times

Advertisements

^ Is that much hate really necessary though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 09:14 AM

162 posts, read 633,618 times
Just a reality check guys, crime isn't isolated to US cities, my nephew is an olympic world class speedskater who travels through Europe by himself sometimes or will others. My sister stresses about some gang of skinheads getting their hands on him. You know the argument goes both ways. I love Philly though and hope you have a good experience.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:00 PM

4,745 posts, read 7,845,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
I dont want ot hear any more Philly NYC comparisions. It is not even close. IF a New York fan goes to a philly sporting event they get spit on, bottles thrown at, punched then thrown out of the game by Philly security. You city is filled with dirtballs. New York has some population that is educated and civilized. I hope your city never wins a Championship again.. The fans get what they deserve!!
Because we all know Yankees fans are the epitome of class when they're up against the Red Sox...

Let's be honest. Although I fully admit that Philly fans can be overzealous, sporting events don't necessarily bring out the classier side of people, no matter where they're at and which teams are playing.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:01 AM

19 posts, read 90,813 times
Good thing about Philly, good cheesesteaks

Bad things about Philly, restaurants who THINK they make a good Cheesesteak

Old 04-03-2008, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 6,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
well, nyc's sophistication is on another lever (comparable to london, paris). philly, although it has a bit of sophistication, has been known to be more of a blue-collar, grunge, grass-roots arts city. which suits me fine. the last time i visited manhattan, i noticed the lack of grass-roots anything anymore. both the east & w. villages have lost a lot of character that i knew living there. all the lofts are being bought up by celebrities & ultra rich new england people. the more i visit, the more i hang out in brooklyn or queens.

i think some folks here know the affluent suburbs nearby to philly better than i do. i know that moorestown, haddonfield, voorhees are good area across the river in jersey.
I was born and raised in Voorhees, NJ and it is one of the safest places you will find around the Philadelphia area. Everyone there is fairly affluent and the school systems in the area are the best around (Morrestown, Cherry Hill, etc). A lot of my friends grew up in suburbs of Pennsylvania and also felt their towns were very safe. The only comment I would make about Voorhees is that in comparison to PA suburbs there is a lot less parks and open areas. In the last 20 years it has been very built up, and in comparison to family I have living in Pennsylvania I just tend to notice less fields, parks, etc. I know NJ has them, especially in the Pine Barrens, but just less in general than PA. Further up in NJ in Burlington County the opposite is true, it is all fields, farms, etc but is further from Philly.

To comment about Philadelphia, I would have to say that I've been visiting Philadelphia for years, but recently have found it to be a lot more crime-ridden than in the past. I go out in the Rittenhouse Square area fairly often, and recently had shoplifters run out of a store and push me over. Also, a friend that lives in Rittenhouse Square saw someone rob a car outside her house. I wouldn't let this keep you from visiting, Philadelphia, however! My friends that live in Philadelphia love it there, but just make sure not to leave things in a car or go outside at night by yourself. It is pretty much common sense. I do love Philadelphia's vibe because it has great concerts, shopping, culture, etc and is so close to NYC, Baltimore and DC. The location can't be beat!

Old 05-01-2008, 02:38 PM

20 posts, read 52,603 times
Just live in a nice part of Philadelphia - avoid the inner city - becuase it's too much crime...yes, we have the best cheesesteaks.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:45 PM

718 posts, read 2,148,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Because we all know Yankees fans are the epitome of class when they're up against the Red Sox...

Let's be honest. Although I fully admit that Philly fans can be overzealous, sporting events don't necessarily bring out the classier side of people, no matter where they're at and which teams are playing.
Not as bad as Red Sox fans when the Yankees are in town.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:30 AM

2,937 posts, read 3,161,915 times
Here's something postitive: Its May 2 and the PHILLIES have sole posession of first place in the NL East!

Old 05-02-2008, 10:07 AM

45 posts, read 243,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Not as bad as Red Sox fans when the Yankees are in town.
You said what I was thinking!... Red Sox fans are truly the worst!

Old 05-02-2008, 10:21 AM

2,937 posts, read 3,161,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

According to ESPN, New York fans are "passionate" when they boo (they recently called Mets fans "passionate" for booing their own player, Carlos Delgado). But when Philly fans boo, we're called a bunch of neanderthals and drunken jackasses, and they conjure up the stories of Eagles fans booing a skinny drunken Santa Claus in the 1960's...

The stories about Philly fans are exaggerated.....its no worse in Philly than other places, especially New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or