U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:38 PM

64 posts, read 280,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgiants View Post
i dont want ot hear any more philly nyc comparisions. It is not even close. If a new york fan goes to a philly sporting event they get spit on, bottles thrown at, punched then thrown out of the game by philly security. You city is filled with dirtballs. New york has some population that is educated and civilized. I hope your city never wins a championship again.. The fans get what they deserve!!
thats bull the knick games and the jets games are just like that i worked at the medowlands and they threw beer bottles at a little boy... A little boy? Thats ruthless. We have bad fans here with our suckish teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 09:22 AM

3,299 posts, read 10,753,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
I dont want ot hear any more Philly NYC comparisions. It is not even close. IF a New York fan goes to a philly sporting event they get spit on, bottles thrown at, punched then thrown out of the game by Philly security. You city is filled with dirtballs. New York has some population that is educated and civilized. I hope your city never wins a Championship again.. The fans get what they deserve!!
Maybe you should check out a Jets game sometime. I've heard of women being heckled to flash and when they don't take off their clothes they get hit with bottles. Now that's class...

Old 09-15-2008, 11:36 AM

160 posts, read 740,559 times
I think for someone looking for a diversified area with plenty of opportunity, yet less intimidating than NYC or LA, Philadelphia might be the place. Within a 30 minute drive from CC, there are plenty of major universities as well as public schools for teachers. There are various restaurants offered. There is plenty of shopping in CC, but a short 30-45min drive can put you in one of many different malls(king of prussia, willow grove, montgomeryville, other outlets). In CC I would imagine it would be difficult to find a nice apt for 900/month, but consider a roomate or another area. Manayunk and East Falls are full of young professionals and rental opprtunity. Also check out Chestnut Hill or nearby Wynnewood and mt Airy(or consider a roommate). All offer train/bus access to get into CC in about 30min I would say.If parking is not an issue, than you may drive. I live in Mt.Airy/Chestnut Hill and I typically am parked at a restaurant in CC in about 25min without traffic, via lincoln Dr/Kelly Dr/76 etc. Philadelphia in general is a liberal city, so I wouldn't be worried about that. Tons of nightlife,tons of young people. The weather varies and we have all 4 seasons, so be prepared for snow and hot and humid.As for crime, it seems it can happen anywhere here, from CC to a nicer area to a not-so-nice area, even to the suburbs. I've been pretty fortunate to never have any problems that I can really recall(my car has been broken into twice, but anyone from Philly knows this is almost comical). Don't(as a woman)travel alone at night to any questionable area, and always be aware. I'm the same in the city and outside and I would never be alone at night in ANY city, not just Philly.I can't guarantee the type of people you will be(no yuppies, etc)but be assured, there's plenty to choose from.The transportation I think is relatively easy to use and inexpensive.I know people in Philly who don't own cars or even have a license and they have "survived" for years this way, so it's up to you and depends on your location.Good luck!

Old 09-15-2008, 11:38 AM

160 posts, read 740,559 times
just a little addition-I wouldn't say Philly is filled with "dirtballs" simply because of SOME people's conduct at sports events. I've been to plenty of Phillies,76ers and Flyers games with no trouble at all. For the Eagles fans, I'm sure there are stories, but everyone knows Philly fans are notoriously umm, "passionate!" And by the way, I am educated!

Old 09-16-2008, 12:35 PM

718 posts, read 2,148,021 times
+ Philadelphia the city
- Philadelphians

Old 09-16-2008, 08:35 PM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times
I'm glad this thread was resurrected because I had a good Philly experience yesterday and would like to share. My oldest son is doing a study abroad in England and his English University recommended that the international students get visa's. This will also allow him to work a bit during the week if he wants to. So he applied for a visa a few weeks ago and then waited and waited for it to come. Oh, when you get a visa, they put it in your passport so he was also without a passport. Last week I was on another bb and read that there was a backlog for getting UK Visa's. Long story short(er), we decided to declare his passport lost and get another one in person.

Yesterday we took a quick trip to Philly to get the passport and encountered several helpful people, all at the Customs house where the US passport agency is located. First off were the security guards who told me to relax when we got to the Customs house just a bit late and that our 12 noon appointment was not a hard and fast time. Next off were the two very friendly workers behind the counters who processed our paperwork and assured us that we would be able to get the passport that day and that yes, they had been getting quite a few people who had their US passport held hostage by the UK consulate and that the Visa would still be okay. Even nicer was the staff person's reaction when after just about finishing the whole transaction, my son checked his e-mail on his IPhone and found out that the visa and passport had just been shipped from NY! She was genuinely happy for us and immediately shredded our application.

Overall, service was fast and friendly. For a government agency in a city, I was happily surprised at how well our experience turned out.

Yes, the Visa and passport did come today and son is presently in the air..... looks like just over CT. right now....

Old 09-17-2008, 08:32 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Thanks for sharing, toobusy! I trust your son will arrive safely and have a "jolly old" good time.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:57 PM

59 posts, read 235,497 times
Good-

Terrific Food- The Food quality here is unbeatable, thanks in no small part to our Amish neighbors to the north.

Culture/History- Philadelphia has plenty of culture all throughout the city, not just Center City. And of course it is one of the most Historically significant cities in America, also being the first Capital of the US.

Brotherly Love?- Contrary to popular opinion, Philadelphia actually has plenty of friendly people. Just don't ask stupid questions around Football time.

Up and Coming- Out of all the cities on the East Coast, Philadelphia is undergoing the most development. A lot of developers refer to the city as "The New New York" because of all of the building thats going on and is planned to go on. EVERY neighborhood is undergoing some type of development within the next 5 to 10 years. More jobs are coming to the city which means more people.

Bad-

Corrupt Officials- Philly has had a bad history of having corrupt Mayors which has affected the city all the way down to the corrupt Police.

Crime/Murder- While Philly isn't as bad as some other cities when it comes to crime, it is top on the list of murders. The only two cities I can think that may possibly top Philly in the murders category is Detroit and New Orleans. Not really something to boast about.

Poverty- While there will be numerous jobs coming to the city within the next couple of years, at the present moment, there is a lot of abject poverty throughout the city. You want to know why people are so angry all the time in Philly? You want to know whats driving the murder rate?? It isn't because "ghetto people are monsters!" like a lot of you theorize but because a lot of people are POOR. This isn't the fault of the people, and it really affects your mindstate if you are living in poverty for a while. I know, because it took me a whole year of not finding a job to finally turn to selling drugs. Luckily I found another avenue out, but a lot of people are not so lucky.

So there you have it from a native Philadelphian.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:33 PM

12 posts, read 41,768 times
Philadelphia

Cons - frumpy women, the most ignorant, classless sports fans on the planet.

Pros - the history, some very good restaurants.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:22 PM

3,299 posts, read 10,753,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BERGEN68 View Post
Philadelphia

Cons - frumpy women
Ouch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or