U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 07:47 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,534,953 times

Advertisements

Yuengling is another thing I miss like crazy. You're right, our beer is great. Has anyone mentioned snack foods (chips and pretzles)? I totally took for granted living in the chip and pretzel capital of the world. Down here in Houston there is ZERO selection...I get to pick between Frito Lay brands and Cape Cod chips. Seriously. I miss Utz, they were my favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 08:02 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,301,861 times
I had some clown from New York (who wanted everyone to know he was from New York - as if anyone here is impressed with that sh**) who was chowing down at the table of free food and talking rah-rah about Philly soft pretzels, while eating one, and saying how New York pretzels were so much better . . . I cut him off and said "dude, New York pretzels are awful. They taste like burnt. Even when they don't they're like a hard pretzel that someone forgot to cook all the way. Terrible. Besides, we do it right because they come from here. Last time I checked there's no Germantown in New York."

Then some other lady, from North Jersey maybe, said in a really dismissive tone, "Tomato pie . . . I don't get it, must be a Philly thing."

I said to the woman across the table from me, "really? tomato pie? I'm pretty sure it's an Italian thing but i don't know, that's just what I heard."

Old 09-28-2008, 08:07 PM

Tomato pie!! Another thing I miss. There is a huge lack of decent Italian food in Houston, due to the lack of Italians! Tons of TexMex, asian, and other stuff though.

Actually I had a tough time finding really good tomato pie even in my area of the western Philly burbs.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
Actually I had a tough time finding really good tomato pie even in my area of the western Philly burbs.
really? The tomato pie in question was from Conshohocken. Delicious!

Old 09-28-2008, 08:32 PM

Well it's not like I was looking THAT hard, but I ordered "tomato pie" off the menu at Valley Forge Pizza once and I got a small, thin crust pizza with cheese and tomato slices on it. Not tomato pie!

Old 09-28-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Well it's not like I was looking THAT hard, but I ordered "tomato pie" off the menu at Valley Forge Pizza once and I got a small, thin crust pizza with cheese and tomato slices on it. Not tomato pie!
haha. yeah, this was definitely the real deal, sicilian style. there, you did it, i'm headed to the kitchen now.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:31 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,393,875 times
Another negative thing: Inconsiderate,loudmouth neighbors late at night...(makes me glad when winter comes).

Old 09-29-2008, 06:03 AM

23,615 posts, read 10,782,374 times
Quote:
Seriously. I miss Utz, they were my favorite.
Yep, met too. PA is called the potato chip belt due to areas like Hanover and there is also Herr's in Nottingham (Chester County). We always had Herr's growing up or Charlie's, but Utz is my favorite. You can also get a bizillion types of hard pretzels in PA. Not so in other part of the country.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:58 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
not a cheesesteak guy, but soft pretzels are the bomb

Old 09-29-2008, 06:12 PM

12 posts, read 41,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
I had some clown from New York (who wanted everyone to know he was from New York - as if anyone here is impressed with that sh**) who was chowing down at the table of free food and talking rah-rah about Philly soft pretzels, while eating one, and saying how New York pretzels were so much better . . . I cut him off and said "dude, New York pretzels are awful. They taste like burnt. Even when they don't they're like a hard pretzel that someone forgot to cook all the way. Terrible. Besides, we do it right because they come from here. Last time I checked there's no Germantown in New York."

Then some other lady, from North Jersey maybe, said in a really dismissive tone, "Tomato pie . . . I don't get it, must be a Philly thing."

I said to the woman across the table from me, "really? tomato pie? I'm pretty sure it's an Italian thing but i don't know, that's just what I heard."

Tomato pie originated in Trenton, I believe, and is known as sheet pizza outside of the Trenton/Philly area. Since the 'traditional' pizza in NY and northern Jersey is the best in the States no one really bothers with tomato/sheet pizza.

Yeah, Philly pretzels are 100 times better than NY pretzels but, it is a pretzel. Personally, I can't get too excited about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or