Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 10:13 PM

10 posts, read 23,452 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a new student at Temple University, and after spending some time on campus I am interested in learning more about the conditions of the surrounding neighborhood. The hood gets seems to get a bad rep from students, but it seems to me that most of the students at Temple are from surrounding suburban areas and are totally not used to living in a majority black, working-class neighborhood. I am not trying to downplay the presence of crime in the surrounding area, but it seems that looking at the hood as this evil dangerous place to be avoided unfairly stigmatizes the people who live in the area. In my limited experience, people I dealt with were generally friendly and respecful. Even while walking around the area late at night with a group of people, anyone we ran into minded their own business and didn't cause any trouble. I am not so familiar with poor black urban culture, so what are some things I should look out for to distinguish real trouble from the average person in the area? Maybe my assumptions are naive, but I just think that too many students (white kids from the surrounding burbs) unfairly assume the worst because it is a poor black neighborhood with worn down housing stock. Can anyone give me some real insight into the neighborhood and its inhabitants? It is something I am interested in especially since I will be living around here for the next four years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 01:38 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,400 times
I just graduated from Temple in May. The whole thing is REALLY overblown. There are some really bad areas of North Philly, but they're not exactly in Templetown. There is certainly crime in the area and criminals who target students, but as long as you're smart, you will be fine. Basically be aware of your surroundings, especially people following you. I wouldn't worry too much if you're staying in the vicinity of campus.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:00 AM

What can you tell me specifically about the neighborhoods that border campus to the north, south, east, and west? I drove around and checked out the neighborhood between Susquehanna and Lehigh and saw a lot of families and activity going on. The old bright colored houses look cool too. I'm kinda interested in all that urban planning and architecture and socioeconomcis stuff.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:19 AM

364 posts, read 732,358 times
There's a serious and dramatic safety decrease as you move west and north. 16th and 17th, Cecil B to Diamond? Sure. 18th gets freaky at night and past that is a danger zone, and it's practically devoid of students. My then-girlfriend lived around 19th and Montgomery and that was not a fun walk at night because it was empty and dark.

So yes, Templetown is cute and its issues are overblown, but realize that Templetown is only really maybe a dozen blocks in area.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:02 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,565,963 times
I always found that neighborhood to be way overpriced for what you got.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:50 AM

584 posts, read 1,424,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakersdozen95 View Post
Even while walking around the area late at night with a group of people, anyone we ran into minded their own business and didn't cause any trouble. I am not so familiar with poor black urban culture, so what are some things I should look out for to distinguish real trouble from the average person in the area? .
I'm not sure how anyone would really distinguish this.

I agree with others that Temple is not the warzone that some make it out to be. However, I also believe that when you get too comfortable and stop practicing some common sense street smarts, you are more likely to find yourself in trouble. I see students walking around, alone at night, distracted by texting, or oblivious to what's going on around them b/c they have ear buds in and music up high.

If you're going to live off of campus and in the surrounding area - vigilance and some common sense are required. Pay attention to what's going on around you, lock your doors (it surprises me how many students have told me they don't always lock their doors so that there friends can come and go), be a good neighbor (keep the noise down, don't litter, be respectful of the people on your block who live there full-time), walk with other people, and don't stray into neighborhoods where you really have no business being in the first place.

Also sign up for TU Alert (info provided in the second link below). TU Alert will text/call/email you when there is suspicious activity on campus.

Below is a link to the campus patrol map. All things considered, the closer you stay to campus, the better off you'll be.

http://www.temple.edu/safety/core/fi...npatrolmap.pdf

Frequently Asked Questions | About Us | Campus Safety Services | Temple University

As an FYI: I have had students who were victims of crime. But the vast majority haven't had any bad experiences (except for with other students).

Old 07-10-2013, 08:21 AM

49 posts, read 92,303 times
^ Very good advice there. I lived by 11th and Diamond. If you are smart and use common sense you are less likely to be a target. I got so pissed at my roommates when they would leave our front door unlocked. Our group of houses was pretty good and we never had any trouble. Although our neighbor's son did bash a pizza delivery guy with a baseball bat for a couple bucks and 4 pizzas. We didn't know later that night when the police showed up...this was after we ate the pizza he gave us that was "extra".

Overall just be smart, walk with friends whenever possible. When alone, just keep alert. The text message can wait 5 minutes til you get home. Act like you know where you are going and not like a lost sheep. Highly suggest not listening to music when walking around, at least at night.

If you stay within a few blocks of campus you won't have any problems, but if you wander off campus area alone, you just become an easy target.

There are plenty of nice people around, its just a shame there are some bad apples that really bring a negative view of Temple and surrounding areas.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:16 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times
Diamond Street always seemed to be the "border line" as far as Temple went.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:59 PM

If I were to look into living off campus, which direction offers the most favorable area? Would it be better to live off campus in a totally different neighborhood? People have told me they feel trapped living nearby off campus because they do not want to walk around very far to and from public transportation. What are some hoods that Temple students like living in?

Old 07-10-2013, 05:38 PM

364 posts, read 732,358 times
Port Richmond and any affordable part of Nolibs. Nothing's more relaxing than a short bike ride home after a long day, and a little bit of morning exercise will force you to be a little more awake in early classes without any stimulants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia