U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 07:51 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,301,323 times

Advertisements

Anybody see the nonsense(signs) regarding the Zimmerman trial hanging from the Frank Rizzo statue today? What did he have to do with anything?
I asked a well-dressed, 50-something, seemingly intelligent black woman about it and she snarled "He dropped a bomb on a rowhouse ..." I replied "That was Wilson Goode." To which she replied "You're choosing to ignore the truth!" HAHA!

Old 07-15-2013, 05:38 AM

7,780 posts, read 19,141,678 times
Welcome to Philadelphia ..

Old 07-15-2013, 05:47 AM

10,051 posts, read 14,657,992 times
he waa notorious for his treatment of minorities so while i dont agree with the sentiment of the sign it is an appropriate place to hang it. i always found it fitting his statue is in front of msb. (since he killed the city to give it away to city unions) but ironic since most of the workforce is now black. (people he didnt treat with much respect).

Old 07-17-2013, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
he waa notorious for his treatment of minorities so while i dont agree with the sentiment of the sign it is an appropriate place to hang it. i always found it fitting his statue is in front of msb. (since he killed the city to give it away to city unions) but ironic since most of the workforce is now black. (people he didnt treat with much respect).
I was told Frank Rizzo was very fair, but tough. Especially tough on those who didn't want to behave in a civilized manner.

A cuppa tea?

Old 07-17-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
I was told Frank Rizzo was very fair, but tough. Especially tough on those who didn't want to behave in a civilized manner.

A cuppa tea?

And there is nothing wrong with that. He kept the city in check, unlike the Mayor of today

Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,346,631 times
Quote:
I've always thought the same thing. What better place for a statue of him than in front of a building that to me is symbolic of Philadelphia's bloated, inefficient government.

Of course many Rizzo backers like him simply because he was Italian ("He's one of us"). Yet many of these same people don't realize that he gave everything, including the kitchen sink, to the unions, helping to ruin the city. These same Rizzo-backers bemoan the city and its problems but their hero was instrumental in causing more than a few of them.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:16 PM

10,051 posts, read 14,657,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post

A cuppa tea?
the same guy who promised both not to raise taxes and huge raises to employee unions if they got out the vote, then passed the largest tax increase in city history, ushering in a period of population decline not seen since? rizzo was fair and tough so long as you weren't black or gay or anything like that.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
the same guy who promised both not to raise taxes and huge raises to employee unions if they got out the vote, then passed the largest tax increase in city history, ushering in a period of population decline not seen since? rizzo was fair and tough so long as you weren't black or gay or anything like that.
Nobody's perfect ... except, of course, Obama. LOL! Everybody relax.

Last edited by Larry Bowa; 07-17-2013 at 03:49 PM..

Old 07-17-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:

Wrong. I lived it.... Did you?? Rizzo was fair to everyone. Just did not cower down to the minorities.. thats all. He did not take crap from any color person.. The blacks just screamed "Racism!" when he did not take their crap..
Do you see any Wilson Goode or John Street statues? Nope.. Whats that tell ya?

Old 07-17-2013, 06:42 PM

3,260 posts, read 4,938,115 times
Plenty of people who lived it don't feel the same way as you, Frank. But I'm sure you know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or