U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2007, 02:16 PM

5 posts, read 14,909 times

Advertisements

My husband is looking for jobs in Reading. We are coming from NJ, but don't take that as we have money. We are looking for somewhere decent to live in or near Reading. . .We can't really afford living in. We are a young couple, with 3 kids. My husband just graduated last year from college, so he is brand new to working. Our daughter will be starting school next year, so that is an important factor. We would prefer a newer house as we have been fixing up houses for 7 years, and are kind of tired of it. I like being able to take the kids to the park or an ice cream shop once in a while. I love the small town feel where everyone knows everyone. It would be nice to get a 4 bdrm home, but we are looking to keep it under 200k, so we can deal with a 3 bdrm. Any help would be nice. Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 05:47 PM

20,324 posts, read 18,322,261 times
You can get a 4 bdr home for under 200K, easily, but it might not be newer or in certain desired areas. Areas with higher taxes( Reading, Antietam, Mount Penn) have lower prices. Housing sales are still good in Berks, prices are flat but haven't gone down. Most Berks schools are good or better... Reading being the worst, in the bottom third of Pa public schools, Wyomissing being at the very top. Oley and Exeter are nice, Oley being very rural, Exeter being suburbs but still having some farmland although the schoolboard and township supervisors want to build on whats left, apparently . Amity is pretty much the same.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:13 AM

5 posts, read 14,909 times
Thanks, that helps in my search. I have been able to find a bunch that works for us. : )

Old 11-12-2007, 10:44 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
You may get even more responses in the general Pennsylvania forum. Reading is about 60 miles from Philly, about the same distance as Atlantic City. That's close enough to claim our sports teams but not quite enough to claim metro status (although exurban sprawl as well as the would-be Schuykill Valley Metro train service might change that in the next decade or two).

Old 11-12-2007, 11:35 AM

4,744 posts, read 7,845,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
You may get even more responses in the general Pennsylvania forum. Reading is about 60 miles from Philly, about the same distance as Atlantic City. That's close enough to claim our sports teams but not quite enough to claim metro status (although exurban sprawl as well as the would-be Schuykill Valley Metro train service might change that in the next decade or two).
Technically, Berks County was added to the Census Bureau's definition of the Philadelphia MSA in 2005. While I agree that may have been a little presumptuous, it's definitely telling of commuter trends that are already in place and what I'm sure is in store for the future in terms of sprawl.

Delaware Valley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-12-2007, 12:31 PM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Technically, Berks County was added to the Census Bureau's definition of the Philadelphia MSA in 2005. While I agree that may have been a little presumptuous, it's definitely telling of commuter trends that are already in place and what I'm sure is in store for the future in terms of sprawl.

Delaware Valley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ah ok. Well I'm sure there are plenty of people from Reading heading over to King of Prussia and such so I guess that's how the Census people came to that conclusion already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia