U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 11:32 AM

1,638 posts, read 2,704,363 times

Advertisements

When are you moving? Late August/Early September
Where are you coming from? Lansdale (lived out of state before this), just moved to PA in March
Why are you moving? My corporate housing lease is up, and this place is kind of boring.
Where will you be working?Lansdale
Have you been here yet? Only in a few areas, such as Lansdale, North Wales, Ambler, Norristown, Consh, etc.

Will you buy or rent?Rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?Prefer to keep it between 750-900
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Prefer walk up, but I am flexible.

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA, within 20-25 minutes of Lansdale.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single, no kiddos, I'm in a long distance relationship currently, but would be living alone for now.
Do you prefer public or private schools?Doesn't matter
Do you have pets?No
Do you want or need a yard?Would be nice, but no
Are you keeping a car?Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?A happy medium, I prefer to be near a town (nothing like KOP or Conshy) but able to sleep at night. I want to be closer to Philly than I currently am in Lansdale, but not so far to where driving to work is inconvenient. I work an 8-5.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work 20-25 minute drive.
ShoppingMeh
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)Somewhat, but I do a lot of my grocery shopping after work/the gym, so this isn't all that important.
Nightlife Not all that important, I can go out on weekends if need be.
Train or subway stations Would be very nice, but I can drive to and park my car if I need to take the SEPTA on weekends.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? I can deal with diversity, it doesn't bother me whatsoever, I enjoy it. I would like a "quieter" neighborhood where I don't have to worry about going for a jog, but I don't need to live in luxury either.

I'm a female in her mid 20's making around 60K/year. I'm somewhat new to the area (less than 6 months). I would love to live alone, but I think I'm being VERY unrealistic about rent. My financial situation is quite decent. I have around 11K in cash (some to be used for my move obviously), no debt besides an 11K car note at 0%.

I've never had to pay my rent to anyone but my employer before (it was subsidized by my employer for a few years), so I have no idea what the going rate should be for my salary, I'm sincerely asking for help here. I contribute about 15% of my salary to my 401K each month and like to save at least 500-1000/month cash. If anyone is in a similar situation and can tell me a realistic number for the area, I'd be so grateful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 05:48 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,968,132 times
Conshy sounds like it would be perfect for you . . . but sounds like you have already ruled it out? Have you checked out places likeMedia, Collingswood, Manayunk?

Old 07-27-2013, 06:00 PM

2,856 posts, read 2,068,478 times
If you find Lansdale boring, then most of Montco will be the same as far as that goes. If you want quick access to both Lansdale and Philly I would say somewhere off 309. Perhaps Fort Wash or Ambler? You like to jog there is a nice park with a jogging track on Susquehanna road right near 309.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:07 PM

I was considering Norristown actually, Consh I am ruling out because I have done the drive at rush hour and it took me over 40 minutes. I'm thinking of doing a test drive to Norristown this week around my rush hour commute to see how it goes.

Any opinions on Curren Terrace or Norris Hills apartments?

Old 07-28-2013, 06:47 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,740,351 times
Philadelphia Apartments for Rent | Philadelphia PA Apartments | Philadelphia Pennsylvania Rentals is the best site of it's kind for information including rents

Old 07-28-2013, 08:39 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,406,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Conshy sounds like it would be perfect for you . . . but sounds like you have already ruled it out? Have you checked out places likeMedia, Collingswood, Manayunk?
Media/Collingswood to Lansdale during rush hour isn't recommended and Manayunk has a Philly wage tax.

The North end of Norristown by East Norriton is alright. But as mentioned somewhere off 309 would be your best bet.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:05 AM

7,476 posts, read 10,242,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Media/Collingswood to Lansdale would make for a god-awful commute, and if Conshy is too far for the OP, Manayunk would be even worse.

How about Glenside, Ambler, or Doylestown?

Old 07-28-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Media/Collingswood to Lansdale would make for a god-awful commute, and if Conshy is too far for the OP, Manayunk would be even worse.

How about Glenside, Ambler, or Doylestown?
Yes, I would never consider Manayunk working in Lansdale. I had a coworker tell me it was one of the worst decisions he ever made.

I'm going to look at apartments in all those places this week, actually!

In terms of traffic, how would 202 going north to Lansdale be around 7am? Coming back around 5-6pm? If I were to leave from Norristown/East Norriton. I'm going to test drive it, but was just wondering anyone else's experience who has maybe actually done it?

Old 07-28-2013, 06:15 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,968,132 times
Sorry, for some reason I thought you were working in Philly. Since you work in Lansdale, the only other place i could really think of would be Doylestown. You'd might as well just stay in Lansdale rather than moving to Ambler or Lansdale.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:00 PM

7,780 posts, read 18,927,795 times
Like Angus said. Doylestown.. Excellent town...

http://www.doylestownpa.org/

//www.city-data.com/city/Doyles...nsylvania.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or