U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 01:30 PM

28 posts, read 67,708 times

Advertisements

My point is the while Swarthmore and Wallingford provide nice houses and good school districts - the main like provides nicer and houses and better school districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 02:22 PM

581 posts, read 1,243,376 times
Wallingford, Swarthmore, the Main Line are all great places, with great schools and beautiful homes. I looked at all of these areas during my home search. That said, when I saw Aronimink - there was something special about that little area. I went to a number of open houses and felt like I was in a time warp. There were tons of kids outside playing, ALL of the neighbors seemed to know one another. (The open houses were packed with neighbors coming out to show their support. I may have been the only actual home buyer in attendance!). I suppose I just hadn't experienced that strong neighborhood feel since I was a kid; the sort of feel where the neighbors likely look out for each other and the neighborhood kids. I can see why professional people will choose to live there even when "better" neighborhoods exist. The architecture of the homes is also beautiful!

Old 07-30-2013, 02:42 PM

7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gophils09 View Post
My point is the while Swarthmore and Wallingford provide nice houses and good school districts - the main like provides nicer and houses and better school districts.
The Main Line is also priced accordingly (if anything the cost premium is somewhat overstated). Swarthmore and Wallingford provide a better value.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:45 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,752,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
The Main Line is also priced accordingly (if anything the cost premium is somewhat overstated). Swarthmore and Wallingford provide a better value.
I agree. However, it needs to be said that though Wallingford's taxes are pretty high for Wallingford proper (which is why many young families move to Garden City), Swarthmore's are outrageous. If one doesn't mind that, the town itself is just lovely. There are some beautiful homes; it sits right on a train line, fun to wonder around Swarthmore campus which also offers concerts and other entertainment, a couple of nice eateries, a food co-op, a dynamite produce and catering place, very friendly people and still has a small-town feel.

When I lived in Garden City, I was in Swarthmore often.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:50 AM

76 posts, read 171,544 times
gophils09 - I can see why you would think a bit of redistricting would be a good thing. But, in all actuality, it's sections like Drexel Park and Aronimink Estates that are keeping Upper Darby Township afloat! If your heart is set on the area, but school districts are one of your main concerns - I would suggest looking at Pilgrim Gardens. Yes, your kids could attend Haverford High School while still maintaining a Drexel Hill zip code, but you'd definitely have to make some sacrifices. The homes in Pilgrim Gardens have a lot less character and grandeur than the homes in the 2 areas you're considering. For the most part, they all look the same (brick, 2 floors, etc.)

I would definitely encourage you to move to Drexel Park or Aronimink Estates - especially given the current market. Homes are for sale for a fraction of what they will cost a few years down the line. Good luck! and feel free to DM me if you have any more questions or concerns.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCdelco View Post
I would suggest looking at Pilgrim Gardens. Yes, your kids could attend Haverford High School while still maintaining a Drexel Hill zip code, but you'd definitely have to make some sacrifices. The homes in Pilgrim Gardens have a lot less character and grandeur than the homes in the 2 areas you're considering. For the most part, they all look the same (brick, 2 floors, etc.)
What's the point of living somewhere to maintain a certain zip code? Pilgrim Gardens looks no different from most of the early postwar prefab sections of Havertown.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:06 AM

76 posts, read 171,544 times
I agree with you, HeavenWood. It just seems that gophils09 is concerned with living in Drexel Hill. So, if they wanted to still be considered a resident of Drexel Hill but wanted a different school district - Pilgrim Gardens is the way to go. Personally, I'd choose Havertown over Drexel Hill but I am not a fan of any of the postwar prefab sections of anywhere. I personally just feel like it lacks character. Not sure on gophils09's take of the situation though.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I agree with you, HeavenWood. It just seems that gophils09 is concerned with living in Drexel Hill. So, if they wanted to still be considered a resident of Drexel Hill but wanted a different school district - Pilgrim Gardens is the way to go. Personally, I'd choose Havertown over Drexel Hill but I am not a fan of any of the postwar prefab sections of anywhere. I personally just feel like it lacks character. Not sure on gophils09's take of the situation though.
Isn't Pilgrim Gardens fairly cut off from the rest of Drexel Hill, though?

Old 08-01-2013, 10:13 AM

28 posts, read 67,708 times
I didn't think so. It's right near the Aronimink Swim Club in St. Dorothy's parish. It borders Havertown, but that's the same case as the Aronimink section.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:04 AM

177 posts, read 306,228 times
Quote:
I would suggest looking at Pilgrim Gardens. Yes, your kids could attend Haverford High School while still maintaining a Drexel Hill zip code, but you'd definitely have to make some sacrifices. The homes in Pilgrim Gardens have a lot less character and grandeur than the homes in the 2 areas you're considering. For the most part, they all look the same (brick, 2 floors, etc.)
I'm not sure where this started but it's only partly true. The part from the Aronimink Swim Club and Pilgrim Gardens shopping center to the Springfield border is in the Upper Darby School District. This is also the part that doesn't have nothing but the same two story brick houses. There's plenty of beautiful old stone homes, some ranchers and other small homes, and even some huge homes like this one on Pilgrim Ln by the woods. Here is an outline of Pilgrim Gardens, from this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Isn't Pilgrim Gardens fairly cut off from the rest of Drexel Hill, though?
Definitely. It has more in common with Springfield and maybe Havertown than anywhere else. Most of the streets don't even connect with anything, except the ones that connect with Havertown, and the ones in the UDSD section are on hills and cul-de-sacs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia