U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 07:39 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gophils09 View Post
I only included Wallingford on that list because I felt that a lot of the homes in Drexel Hill were as nice as if not nicer than the homes in Wallingford (although that is obviously subjective based on personal preference), the taxes are astronomically high in both Wallingford and Drexel Hill, but Wallingford's close proximity to Chester and the "seedy" section of Wallingford known as Garden City really put me off to the area.
Overlooked mainly due to school districts.

In regards to Drexel Hills comparison to Wallingford ?

Wallingford kids go to one of the top 10 school districts in the region. Wallingford-Swarthmore

Drexel Hill kids go to one of the bottom 10 school districts in the region. Upper Darby

And the surrounding areas? Chester is a relatively small isolated city (30,000) with the worst of the city kind of self contained below I-95. Neighboring communities especially Wallingford rarely if ever interact with Chester. Wallingford is 99.9% residential there are no businesses for anyone to patronize. No outsiders/visitors to be concerned about.

Drexel Hill is much more integrated with the best and worst of society. It's part of Upper Darby(pop 80,000) adjacent to W + SW Philly(Population of 200,000)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 05:41 AM

177 posts, read 306,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Overlooked mainly due to school districts.

In regards to Drexel Hills comparison to Wallingford ?

Wallingford kids go to one of the top 10 school districts in the region. Wallingford-Swarthmore

Drexel Hill kids go to one of the bottom 10 school districts in the region. Upper Darby

And the surrounding areas? Chester is a relatively small isolated city (30,000) with the worst of the city kind of self contained below I-95. Neighboring communities especially Wallingford rarely if ever interact with Chester. Wallingford is 99.9% residential there are no businesses for anyone to patronize. No outsiders/visitors to be concerned about.

Drexel Hill is much more integrated with the best and worst of society. It's part of Upper Darby(pop 80,000) adjacent to W + SW Philly(Population of 200,000)
That's not the only reason. The suburban people on this site don't know much of anything about Upper Darby and Drexel Hill, with the exception of a handful of people. Actually, that goes for most places that aren't middle to upper-middle class.

One of the top-ten districts because they have money. Do you have any idea how much money Drexel Hill and Upper Darby used to have?

Upper Darby's nowhere near as bad a district as you all love to make it out to be. It's raised its scores for years, despite the state continuously slashing its funding and forcing the township to raise taxes. Also, schools like Aronimink are every bit as good as any in the more suburban parts of the county.

Wallingford and Swarthmore don't actually border Chester. It's not the same thing.

People on this site look down on Upper Darby/Drexel Hill and spread tons of misinformation because those places are mixed and aren't some middle to upper-middle class or even upper-class enclaves. By the way, outside of Drexel Park, no other part of Drexel Hill is impacted by West or Southwest Philly, and the only impact on Drexel Park is typical "city" crime that happens in even the nicest part of cities and is easily prevented with common sense. I'll go into this in more detail later. Oh, and "the worst in society" are everywhere. I've come across plenty from the nice, safe suburbs.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:28 PM

10 posts, read 14,337 times
If you drive south down Providence Road through Wallingford, you cross into Chester...if that's not bordering it, I don't know what is....

Old 08-07-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csquared_sr View Post
If you drive south down Providence Road through Wallingford, you cross into Chester...if that's not bordering it, I don't know what is....
Bordering it is bordering it, the way eastern parts of the county border places almost on a continuous grid.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:59 AM

76 posts, read 171,544 times
FWIW, my coworker lives in the Aronimink section of Drexel Hill and says that it's sort of a self-contained bubble. To him, Drexel Hill is the Aronimink section and the Aronimink section only. He would never think to associate his neighborhood with Upper Darby. Now, I know this view is incorrect, but I'm just using it to point out that any kind of crime or trash from Upper Darby doesn't find it's way to the Aronimink neighborhood. Although a bit ignorant, he assumed everyone living in Drexel Hill made an average of 100k/year and had a house worth approximately 300k (just like him). It really is a cool little upper middle class enclave within Drexel Hill that truly is quite isolated.

That being said, Upper Darby School District is not a bad school district. Let's focus on Upper Darby High School, because I assume that's what most people are referring to when they say that UDSD has problems. I've never heard anyone even attempt to argue that Aronimink Elementary and Drexel Hill Middle School were anything less than great public schools. Taxes in Drexel Hill are through the roof, that's no secret. Upper Darby Township is huge. Upper Darby High School is the most populated high school in the entire state of PA. Of course it's going to run into problems- funding, behavioral, etc. Not to mention, the people who live in nearby West Philadelphia who lie about their address in order to attend UDHS have really muddled the system and screwed residents of UD Township. However, they are REALLY cracking down on this. Go to the DelcoTimes website and do a quick search for UDHS. You'll see that Chitwood has been seriously enforcing the residential requirements. They've put a rule in place that requires students to submit substantial proof that they are living within the township and are legally attending UDHS. If they can't prove it or their proof is inadequate, they're kicked out. This has led to hundreds of students being kicked out of UDHS. Good on Chitwood. Hopefully this school will continue to improve. It's truly not a bad school.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:14 AM

271 posts, read 1,306,275 times
Re: Upper Darby HS - it's a very large, very diverse school that does the best it can with what it has to work with (i.e. both $ and student motivation or parental support). IMO, that's what most schools try to do - do the best with what they have. But other schools with stronger financial support & better student/parental motivation, will usually have better results.
Good motivated students from UDHS taking a college prep schedule will graduate and will go on to post secondary education; but there are a bunch of students in each grade who will not have the same outcome.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:24 AM

76 posts, read 171,544 times
UDHS- 3,762 students
Springfield High School- 1,200
Ridley High School- 2,067
Interboro High School- 1,272
Academy Park High School- 1,250

Just to give everyone an idea of how much more UDHS has to deal with than high schools in the surrounding areas. If you put close to 4,000 students in any of the other aforementioned high schools, they'd sink- FAST. UDHS has done a damn good job with the hand they were dealt.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCdelco View Post
UDHS- 3,762 students
Springfield High School- 1,200
Ridley High School- 2,067
Interboro High School- 1,272
Academy Park High School- 1,250

Just to give everyone an idea of how much more UDHS has to deal with than high schools in the surrounding areas. If you put close to 4,000 students in any of the other aforementioned high schools, they'd sink- FAST. UDHS has done a damn good job with the hand they were dealt.
Well Academy Park already has sank, but yeah exactly. That high school is crowded, too. It needs much bigger hallways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia