Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2006, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,740 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm moving to Philly with my wife to run a Post-Doc project at Upenn .
Prices at University City do not fit my budged , and I have heard bad news about safety in North and West areas (maybe it is because that the apartments I found there are cheaper). I would love to hear some advice about were to find an affordable student-like small apartment for me and my wife (let's say in the USD 600-800 range) . I would like also to have an appreciation about the quality and time to travel along the city using public transportation (since my budget will not allow having a car...). Kind greentings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2006, 10:11 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,585,480 times
Go to phillyblog dot com and post there. You will get more responses. Try the Germantown/Mt.Airy/Chestnut Hill thread. You can probably find affordable housing, it is a very diverse area and has excellent access to Penn. (Train to 30th Street and either a nice walk to Penn or The Frankford El (elevated subway system).

If that doesn't work, try Fishtown. Not as pretty or diverse, but transportation is good. (Either Frankford El straight to Penn or bus to center city and then Frankford El)

You can also look in Northeast Philly. The rents are lower there, transportation would be a bus to the Frankford El and then the El to Penn. It would be a longer ride on the El, but convenient.

Last edited by newmarlig; 09-16-2006 at 11:35 PM..

Old 12-01-2006, 02:33 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
for safe, educated neighborhoods with great apartments , food cooperative and progressive people try Chestnut Hill and Mt Airy, the best hoods in the city. Diverse, large jewish, ethnic, black and gay neighborhoods, and tons of great clean, substantial and affordable apartments

Old 12-01-2006, 03:08 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazilian_at_upenn View Post
Hello. I'm moving to Philly with my wife to run a Post-Doc project at Upenn .
Prices at University City do not fit my budged , and I have heard bad news about safety in North and West areas (maybe it is because that the apartments I found there are cheaper). I would love to hear some advice about were to find an affordable student-like small apartment for me and my wife (let's say in the USD 600-800 range) . I would like also to have an appreciation about the quality and time to travel along the city using public transportation (since my budget will not allow having a car...). Kind greentings!
Have you checked at PENN? There may be on-campus housing available and if not, the relo office can help.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:15 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
check out Chestnut Hill Local google; click on classified>>and find affordable apartments to rent. the people pay alot for housing here for some reason, but in Chestnut Hill and Mt Airy, at least it is worth it for the quality of life you have.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:14 PM

8 posts, read 60,169 times
If you want to be outside Philly with a 25 minute train ride to UPenn, call Media Real Estate in Media and look for an apartment in Swarthmore. Super-educated community, small town with a great college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: