U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2013, 05:54 PM
 
73 posts, read 88,637 times
Reputation: 33

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
To be fair, he did say "blue collar," which includes blue collar professionals.


What would you say makes the middle/upper-middle class DelCo stereotype distinct from Philly's other middle/upper-middle class suburbs? Not questioning your authority, just curious as to your thoughts.
I know but when he said "blue collar", I knew what he meant.

What I consider "Delco" is the mostly middle class communities in the center of the county and including Ridley. It's pretty much interchangeable with Bucks County, Jersey, Montgomery County, etc. Places that were pretty much entirely built as suburbs.

When I think of "Delco", I think of the stereotype of being white trash or acting like it. I'm not saying that people from the working class parts of the county are all well behaved and everything but the difference is their neighborhoods have stayed mostly stable despite all of the adversity they've been through over centuries yet the second the places that more exemplify "Delco" start seeing any problems, they just fold. I consider "white trash" to be people who act below their class, who embrace a certain lifestyle even if they have better opportunities than that, and that's exactly what I see those communities as exemplifying. They tend to produce the addicts, the kids get pregnant underage despite knowing better, they all get drunk and act like animals, and they just give the county that stereotype it has among counties who have these delusions of superiority over us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2013, 08:44 PM
 
Location: New York City
6,227 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Reputation: 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 058057 View Post
That's funny because none of those places are legitimately working class.

That's also funny because it's the middle and upper-middle class places that exemplify the Delco stereotype.

Not the working class places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 058057 View Post
I know but when he said "blue collar", I knew what he meant.

What I consider "Delco" is the mostly middle class communities in the center of the county and including Ridley. It's pretty much interchangeable with Bucks County, Jersey, Montgomery County, etc. Places that were pretty much entirely built as suburbs.

When I think of "Delco", I think of the stereotype of being white trash or acting like it. I'm not saying that people from the working class parts of the county are all well behaved and everything but the difference is their neighborhoods have stayed mostly stable despite all of the adversity they've been through over centuries yet the second the places that more exemplify "Delco" start seeing any problems, they just fold. I consider "white trash" to be people who act below their class, who embrace a certain lifestyle even if they have better opportunities than that, and that's exactly what I see those communities as exemplifying. They tend to produce the addicts, the kids get pregnant underage despite knowing better, they all get drunk and act like animals, and they just give the county that stereotype it has among counties who have these delusions of superiority over us.

So Radnor, Newtown Square, Media, Glen Mills, Swarthmore, etc. are white trash?
Think what you want, but growing up in a nice part of delaware county I rarely ever heard people throw around the term "Delco" unless it is repeating what someone had said, or it was in a joking matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 09:12 PM
 
73 posts, read 88,637 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
So Radnor, Newtown Square, Media, Glen Mills, Swarthmore, etc. are white trash?
Think what you want, but growing up in a nice part of delaware county I rarely ever heard people throw around the term "Delco" unless it is repeating what someone had said, or it was in a joking matter.
I didn't say they were. They're not middle class places.

Sure but then people who grow up in the nice part of Delco are sheltered and don't see what's right in front of their faces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 10:16 PM
 
Location: New York City
6,227 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Reputation: 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 058057 View Post
I didn't say they were. They're not middle class places.

Sure but then people who grow up in the nice part of Delco are sheltered and don't see what's right in front of their faces.

The majority of Delaware County is middle and good chunk upper middle class so there really is no negative element right in front of my face. Of course when I was younger I was sheltered, now I am well aware of what happens outside of my parents humble enclave near Media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2013, 05:23 AM
 
364 posts, read 619,744 times
Reputation: 305
Ridley is just as "Delco" as Folcroft or Glenolden. Have you driven down MacDade lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2013, 05:00 PM
 
28 posts, read 67,708 times
Reputation: 27
I didn't mean to come off as condescending in any way by my blue-collar comment. In fact, most Delaware County residents DO have money, especially when you take into account the very high cost of living in the area. Places in Delco that are a part of the Main Line (Radnor, Ardmore, Haverford) are obviously upper middle class, there is no arguing that.

But I will argue against the fact that it's the blue-collar middle class communities in Delco that hold the area together or stay stable when crap gets thrown their way.

Take Havertown, for example. It's borders include 2 main line towns (Ardmore and Haverford) but it also borders some not-so-nice parts of Upper Darby. What keeps Havertown nice and solidly middle class (with a few upper middle class enclaves)? Maybe the fact that it borders some great areas, maybe it's because it has a great school district.

What about Drexel Hill? There are definitely some run-down parts. The Upper Darby School District is hanging on by a thread. There's tons of crime in neighboring Upper Darby. What keeps the wealthier enclaves of Drexel Hill (such as Pilgrim Gardens, Drexel Park and Aronimink) afloat? I think it's the brilliant period architecture and the types of people who are investing the money to buy these gorgeous homes. I know several people who grew up on the Main Line and then bought their first home in Drexel Hill simply because of the historical value of their homes - some really, really stunning architecture there.

Springfield has a mix of very nice homes. This is why Morton gets a bad reputation on these boards. Morton is more comparable to places like Ridley and Glenolden, but because it's lumped in with Springfield is pales in comparison. The majority of Springfield has beautiful period architecture, convenient and accessible shopping, and an above average school district. Also, having a country club, the top rated gym facility in suburban Philadelphia (the Healthplex) and the brand new Marriot Hotel doesn't hurt.

Now let's look at the blue-collar middle class community of Ridley Township

Ridley has some gorgeous Victorians. However, there are only a handful of them and most of them are in various states of disrepair. Ridley Park (the area surrounding the former St. Mad's Catholic elementary school) has gorgeous homes as well. So why is Ridley Township going downhill? Maybe it's because areas like Crum Lynne, Eddystone and Woodlyn are seeing higher crime rates, possibly to do with the fact that they practically border Chester. It could also be because of their below average school district. And how about the homes that aren't Victorians? Most of the housing stock is 1 1/2 story brick Cape Cods. If that's your thing, great. But the fact of the matter is that those are simple, small homes and tract housing like this simply doesn't appeal to the majority of people.

Obviously I think housing stock/residential architecture of certain areas has a lot to do with why they may be going downhill. It's all about wanting "good people" to move into your neighborhood for generations to come to prevent it from going down the tubes. This is why, in my humble opinion, places like Havertown, Drexel Hill and Springfield are a step above the blue-collar middle class communities of Ridley, Glenolden, Folsom, Prospect Park, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2013, 05:54 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Reputation: 4755
Ardmore is upper middle class/wealthy at the very top and adjacent to Merion CC. Most of the rest is both blue collar and middle class, with a couple of lower middle/upper working class pockets as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2013, 06:08 PM
 
28 posts, read 67,708 times
Reputation: 27
Thanks for the clarification, HeavenWood!

My main point was that people frequently use factors such as school district, convenient/accessible shopping centers, walkability, taxes and "general vibe" to argue why certain areas in Delaware County are better than others. I just wanted to bring up the importance of the architectural history in different neighborhoods because I feel like that also plays a major role in both the quality and longevity of those communities. It just seems like common sense to me. If there is only a handful of "standout" homes that exude incredible curb appeal in a given area, potential home buyers are probably going to look elsewhere if things like curb appeal and historical architecture are what's important to them. If I want to buy an English Tudor Revival, I'm not going to be buying one in a neighborhood where it stands alone in its architectural grandeur, I'm going to look for communities that have varied period architecture and a specific aesthetic.

Now, this is pretty specific to Delaware County, but people who can afford a 1960s Rancher or Cape Cod are not (generally) going to be moving into the same neighborhoods as those with the money to purchase 2 1/2 or 3 story Tudors, Colonials, Craftsmen, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2013, 06:54 PM
 
364 posts, read 619,744 times
Reputation: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by gophils09 View Post
Thanks for the clarification, HeavenWood!

My main point was that people frequently use factors such as school district, convenient/accessible shopping centers, walkability, taxes and "general vibe" to argue why certain areas in Delaware County are better than others. I just wanted to bring up the importance of the architectural history in different neighborhoods because I feel like that also plays a major role in both the quality and longevity of those communities. It just seems like common sense to me. If there is only a handful of "standout" homes that exude incredible curb appeal in a given area, potential home buyers are probably going to look elsewhere if things like curb appeal and historical architecture are what's important to them. If I want to buy an English Tudor Revival, I'm not going to be buying one in a neighborhood where it stands alone in its architectural grandeur, I'm going to look for communities that have varied period architecture and a specific aesthetic.

Now, this is pretty specific to Delaware County, but people who can afford a 1960s Rancher or Cape Cod are not (generally) going to be moving into the same neighborhoods as those with the money to purchase 2 1/2 or 3 story Tudors, Colonials, Craftsmen, etc.
Agreed 100%. That's why Lawnsdowne is sort of becoming a haven for the Subaru Outback college-educated DINK types. Nowhere else can one find a decent condition Vic for around $225. Even Ridley Park's dilapidated Victorians go for twice that.

I also agree that Ridley SD has turned south VERY quickly over the last five years and it ain't getting better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2013, 07:07 AM
 
347 posts, read 974,985 times
Reputation: 282
Every town has it's good parts and bad parts. People rave about Springfield, but I'd say it's the most overrated town in "Delco". The price you pay for houses and taxes in Springfield is insane.

Ridley is still a great area to live and a lot of good young families move in. They have a strong tradition that keeps people there and moving in. Sure it has it's trash (primarily because of Woodlyn, Eddystone, Crum Lynne), but like I said it's everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top