Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 10:26 AM

28 posts, read 85,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
Every town has it's good parts and bad parts. People rave about Springfield, but I'd say it's the most overrated town in "Delco". The price you pay for houses and taxes in Springfield is insane.

Ridley is still a great area to live and a lot of good young families move in. They have a strong tradition that keeps people there and moving in. Sure it has it's trash (primarily because of Woodlyn, Eddystone, Crum Lynne), but like I said it's everywhere.
I'm not so sure if I'd consider Springfield entirely overrated. IMO, the houses with the higher prices are decidedly worth it, and taxes are notoriously high throughout most of Delaware County. Springfield has quite a few pricer, new construction homes as well as a gorgeous selection of homes along Rolling Road. Comercially speaking, Springfield is almost like a miniature version of KOP with all of the shopping there is to be had, plus a gym, country club, mall, hotel, movie theater, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 09:05 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gophils09 View Post
I'm not so sure if I'd consider Springfield entirely overrated. IMO, the houses with the higher prices are decidedly worth it, and taxes are notoriously high throughout most of Delaware County. Springfield has quite a few pricer, new construction homes as well as a gorgeous selection of homes along Rolling Road. Comercially speaking, Springfield is almost like a miniature version of KOP with all of the shopping there is to be had, plus a gym, country club, mall, hotel, movie theater, etc.
AGREED! Springfield beats out Ridley any day of the week; some stunning architecture, particularly along THe Rolling Hills section, Windsor Circle and the older sections around the high school and Library. While there is an overabundance of brick colonials, these little pockets of Mazino homes give it an "Old_World" feel. Yes, the taxes have risen, but so have Ridley's. My only complaint about Springfield is that they have raped so many of the beautiful woods for newer development.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirk View Post
Agreed 100%. That's why Lawnsdowne is sort of becoming a haven for the Subaru Outback college-educated DINK types. Nowhere else can one find a decent condition Vic for around $225. Even Ridley Park's dilapidated Victorians go for twice that.

I also agree that Ridley SD has turned south VERY quickly over the last five years and it ain't getting better.
Uh-OH I Drive a Subaru Outback and am college-educated...but what's a DINK??????

Old 10-15-2013, 09:38 AM

712 posts, read 701,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Uh-OH I Drive a Subaru Outback and am college-educated...but what's a DINK??????
Double Income No Kids

Old 10-15-2013, 09:54 AM

76 posts, read 203,350 times
I agree, Springfield is not overrated. However, I don't think Ridley is underrated either. I think it has quite an accurate reputation.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:55 AM

And when I said Springfield isn't overrated, I'm really talking about the rolling hills section (which borders Drexel Hill if you are unfamiliar with it)

Old 10-15-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
Double Income No Kids

HA!!!! That's great! Guess I'm a SINK then!!

Old 10-15-2013, 11:42 AM

80 posts, read 113,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The majority of Delaware County is middle and good chunk upper middle class so there really is no negative element right in front of my face. Of course when I was younger I was sheltered, now I am well aware of what happens outside of my parents humble enclave near Media.
You seem to be confusing class and behavior. Let me assure you that the upper classes have plenty of "negative element".

Quote:
I didn't mean to come off as condescending in any way by my blue-collar comment. In fact, most Delaware County residents DO have money, especially when you take into account the very high cost of living in the area. Places in Delco that are a part of the Main Line (Radnor, Ardmore, Haverford) are obviously upper middle class, there is no arguing that.

But I will argue against the fact that it's the blue-collar middle class communities in Delco that hold the area together or stay stable when crap gets thrown their way.

Take Havertown, for example. It's borders include 2 main line towns (Ardmore and Haverford) but it also borders some not-so-nice parts of Upper Darby. What keeps Havertown nice and solidly middle class (with a few upper middle class enclaves)? Maybe the fact that it borders some great areas, maybe it's because it has a great school district.

What about Drexel Hill? There are definitely some run-down parts. The Upper Darby School District is hanging on by a thread. There's tons of crime in neighboring Upper Darby. What keeps the wealthier enclaves of Drexel Hill (such as Pilgrim Gardens, Drexel Park and Aronimink) afloat? I think it's the brilliant period architecture and the types of people who are investing the money to buy these gorgeous homes. I know several people who grew up on the Main Line and then bought their first home in Drexel Hill simply because of the historical value of their homes - some really, really stunning architecture there.

Springfield has a mix of very nice homes. This is why Morton gets a bad reputation on these boards. Morton is more comparable to places like Ridley and Glenolden, but because it's lumped in with Springfield is pales in comparison. The majority of Springfield has beautiful period architecture, convenient and accessible shopping, and an above average school district. Also, having a country club, the top rated gym facility in suburban Philadelphia (the Healthplex) and the brand new Marriot Hotel doesn't hurt.

Now let's look at the blue-collar middle class community of Ridley Township

Ridley has some gorgeous Victorians. However, there are only a handful of them and most of them are in various states of disrepair. Ridley Park (the area surrounding the former St. Mad's Catholic elementary school) has gorgeous homes as well. So why is Ridley Township going downhill? Maybe it's because areas like Crum Lynne, Eddystone and Woodlyn are seeing higher crime rates, possibly to do with the fact that they practically border Chester. It could also be because of their below average school district. And how about the homes that aren't Victorians? Most of the housing stock is 1 1/2 story brick Cape Cods. If that's your thing, great. But the fact of the matter is that those are simple, small homes and tract housing like this simply doesn't appeal to the majority of people.

Obviously I think housing stock/residential architecture of certain areas has a lot to do with why they may be going downhill. It's all about wanting "good people" to move into your neighborhood for generations to come to prevent it from going down the tubes. This is why, in my humble opinion, places like Havertown, Drexel Hill and Springfield are a step above the blue-collar middle class communities of Ridley, Glenolden, Folsom, Prospect Park, etc.
You can argue against it all you like but you'd lose that argument. Those areas shouldn't have stayed stable as long as they did but they did because of the people there. The more suburban areas can't match that.

As for Havertown and Drexel Hill, well I'm not really arguing that. I'm talking moreso about middle/lower-middle class Drexel Hill, Springfield, Marple, Ridley/Secane, Glenolden, Aldan.

You don't seem to see that Ridley and Springfield are not all that different or far apart socioeconomically.

I really wouldn't include Springfield with Havertown and Drexel Hill personally. A tiny part of it, sure, but the majority is no different than Ridley or the others you mentioned. Prospect Park at least is older and in a better school district than the others you mentioned as well.

Quote:
That's not the majority of Springfield though.

The majority looks a lot like Ridley/Secane.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:37 PM

So, the majority of Springfield is overrated, true. But I still feel that when people are referencing Springfield as "a nice place to live" of "an upper middle class community" they're thinking of the Rolling Hills section.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:28 PM

[quote=.

The majority looks a lot like Ridley/Secane.[/QUOTE]

It ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT!! Most people - particularly those who never lived in "Springfield - only know the areas off the main roads like BP and 320. Most of the Springfield I know, even outside of Rolling Hills, hasa good deal of beautiful, unique homes, particularly behind and around the high school and library. Some of the streets off of Powell, Saxer and Leamy are just lovely, an entirely different vibe than Ridley or Secane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia