U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 05:36 PM

76 posts, read 171,544 times

Advertisements

I wish something could be done about UD school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 10:42 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,752,720 times
Funny...growing up in Springfield, the thoughts were that Broomall was a clear cut above, with wealthier people living there, nicer homes, etc. I worked at the Lawrence Movie Theatre all 4 years of high school, and the Marple kids always had the nicer cars, bigger homes, etc. My well-to-do relatives lived in a lovely section north of WC Pike, and I can remember a large, stone, multi-level home somewhere off of Malin Rd. (Bella Drive, I think).

That said, I always disliked the actual Lawrence Park area with that maze of streets near the industrial park, but I sure wouldn't mind living off of 320 near the Cemetery with their pretty stone ranchers which are well over $350K (not the California "cliff" homes with the flat roofs, but the other mid-century ranchers). The area around Paxon Hollow CC is nice, too.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:46 AM

76 posts, read 171,544 times
Paxon Hollow is a gorgeous area. Broomall is a great area, just not my preference in terms of housing stock.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1oozne View Post
No problem, always happy to help. I agree with your rankings for Central and Upper Central but I definitely disagree with your rankings for other sections.

Let's start with Eastern Delco:

1) Havertown (so does Pilgrim Gardens except for the part behind Pilgrim Gardens shopping center, by the way)
2) the parts of Drexel Hill outside of Kellyville
3) Lansdowne
4) the nicer parts of Upper Darby, such as Beverly Hills, Highland Park, etc/The middle class sections such as Westbrook Park, the section of Drexel Hill-Upper Darby along and near Lansdowne Ave filled with rowhomes, and the Bywood section of Upper Darby
5) Millbourne
6) East Lansdowne
7) Clifton Heights/the Kellyville section of Drexel Hill
8) Aldan
9) Collingdale
10) Yeadon
11) the less nice parts of Upper Darby, like the Long Lane section
12) Colwyn
13) Darby borough

Upper Darby really isn't a subpar district. It just has problems due to lack of funding and the problems caused by the more troubled parts of the district. It's mostly people being scared of the high school that come from the nicer sections of the township in the half that goes to Drexel Hill Middle School that ends up leading to this false idea that you can't get an education in Upper Darby that's every bit as good as you can in Springfield or Ridley. I also really don't understand your love for Aldan. It's pretty much the Glenolden of Eastern Delco. Kids from Aldan use the excuse of being in the William-Penn School District to act and talk like Aldan is so hard and so ghetto even though it isn't even as bad as Clifton. I've actually heard people from Aldan claim that Aldan is worse than Philly. Aldan is like if Lansdowne was almost entirely downscale (note: downscale does not mean working class, it means smaller homes and an overall feel to it, without actually being working class) and was full of people who would rather pretend to be ghetto than forge together as a community and try to fix things. That's exactly why places like Aldan, Glenolden, Springfield, etc have problems is because the people there don't give a crap about community, love to pretend to be ghetto, and can't handle adversity, so the second they get any even remotely real problems, their area starts going downhill.

Southeast Delco:

1) Darby Township (really just because it's always been more middle class and suburban than the others)
2) Sharon Hill (the people there seem to be a lot more resilient and less inclined to give in to acting lower class just because they have some major urban problems)
3) Folcroft (complete opposite of Sharon Hill)

Southern:

1) Ridley Park
2) Tinicum
3) Prospect Park/Norwood
4) Lower Chichester
5) Marcus Hook (because it has been dealing for decades with the problems that Eddystone and Southern Ridley are recently dealing with and yet is still a strong, proud community)/Linwood
6) Southern Ridley township (specifically talking about one of the worse parts of Ridley)
7) Eddystone
8) Parkside
9) Trainer
10) Upland
11) Chester Township
12) Chester city

I'm not sure why you think Interboro is so bad. It's like Southeast Delco (minus Darby township) before Southeast Delco went to crap, which only happened because of decline from Southwest Philly and from Darby. If you ask somebody from Southeast Delco, they will probably tell you that it was just fine until Southwest Philly and then the more stable parts of Darby went downhill, which only happened because Hurricane Floyd decimated entire sections of Darby. That happened to directly coincide with Elmwood and Eastwick losing the vast majority of their industry, effectively removing Southeast Delco's buffer of relatively safe and stable neighborhoods that had existed for decades if not a century or more. If those factories and other industrial places in Elmwood and Eastwick were still open, Southeast Delco would still be just fine even now. I think the Lower Northeast and Southest Delco (including Darby, Colwyn, and Collingdale in this) are very similar in that regard, because they both had buffer neighborhoods that separated them from the actually bad neighborhoods to the south (in the case of the Lower Northeast) and to the west (in the case of Southeast Delco) of those buffer neighborhoods. The other thing that really hurt Southeast Delco was that all of Southeast Delco either shared a school district (Collingdale, Folcroft, Sharon Hill, Darby township) or was in one that was declining as well (Darby borough, Colwyn).

Interboro however is pretty much isolated from Southeast Delco. Tinicum is separated from Folcroft by the Darby Creek and the wildlife refuge, which are large barriers, and the only parts that border legitimately bad neighborhoods are Glenolden and Norwood, and as bad as Folcroft is, it's still nowhere near as bad as Eastwick or Elmwood. There's a major difference between city neighborhoods and even working class ones that border the city. Southeast Delco and William Penn, as bad as they are, still have nothing on the schools in Southwest Philly, and as bad as Folcroft, Darby, and Colwyn might be, they don't have actual public housing projects like Eastwick and Elmwood have for decades, even when they were stable communities. Anybody who thinks Interboro is the next Southeast Delco doesn't understand how the situations just are not even remotely the same.

Southwestern Central Delco:

1) Media (Because it's such a small borough yet is becoming almost its own city at this point, and is leaps and bounds bigger than anywhere else in that general area or in most of the county)
2) Swarthmore (Because it's definitely the most old money, wealthy part of that area and because of Swarthmore College)
3) Wallingford (Second to Swarthmore when it comes to most everything but in the same excellent school district)
4) Rutledge (in between Wallingford and Morton in many ways)
5) Nether Providence
6) Middletown
7) Aston (though you could possibly switch Aston and Middletown)
8) Morton
9) Brookhaven

I want to make it clear that my rankings aren't personal. They're based on current conditions and potential in the future based on different things.

Hi, Im very unfamiliar with the area and need feedback. I'm thinking of purchasing in Pilgrim Gardens Drexel Hill. Any thoughts on this area? Upper Darby seems pretty undesirable and the Gardens are so close...

Old 10-30-2014, 12:32 PM

13 posts, read 13,717 times
Pilgrim gardens is far enough away from the bad areas of Upper Darby and buffered by Township line and Drexel Hill. I believe it will remain a good place to raise a family. You also avoid sending your kids to the Upper Darby School district.

The Schools are the main problem with Drexel Hill. People living in Aronimink cannot send their kids to upper Darby High School today. This is the man reasons homes prices are so low in Drexel Hill. Many people are also moving out because they do not want to send their children to Upper Darby High School.

On average the homes in Drexel Hill are bigger and nicer than those in Havertown. But while Havertown homes cost about $90,000 more they have lower property taxes and better schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia