U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:56 PM

6,227 posts, read 5,562,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
We moved from Garnet Valley several years ago, but I never thought of it as nouveau rich then so was surprised to see the above comment. I looked it up in Zillow and had a hard time finding many houses over $500,000. Garnet Valley PA Real Estate - 79 Listings - Zillow There are lots of larger houses on little lots, but not the crazy big expensive ones.
Well real estate prices have calmed down a bit, more like 500-600 for a toll house. And there is a definitely a new money presence there. I know many people from that area, everyone is very nice, but that area is the epitome of an over done upper middle class suburb.

I guess Glen Mills is more of the 800k range because there are a lot more custom homes and communities there than in Garnet Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 09:08 PM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Well real estate prices have calmed down a bit, more like 500-600 for a toll house. And there is a definitely a new money presence there. I know many people from that area, everyone is very nice, but that area is the epitome of an over done upper middle class suburb.

I guess Glen Mills is more of the 800k range because there are a lot more custom homes and communities there than in Garnet Valley.
Another way to think of it though is that because there are so many people that move to both Glen Mills and Garnet Valley from other places that there are a lot of people willing to make new friends. They aren't towns where everyone is related to each other and where the majority have lived there their whole lives. Affluent yes, but I don't really think snobby. For many people there, they work hard for their money and want to spend it on what they consider nice, new houses. Different strokes....

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:38 AM

1,567 posts, read 2,663,137 times
I drove down Route 3 yesterday from the Philly line all the way through to Chester County. The differences from end to end are striking and the transition from dense urban to pseudo-countryside was interesting to observe. My favorite areas were the ones right next to the city (Upper Darby) and also the far western areas i found to be kind of scenic with lots of hills and trees. I found the middle parts just bland suburbia with ugly shopping centers.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:31 AM

364 posts, read 619,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
I drove down Route 3 yesterday from the Philly line all the way through to Chester County. The differences from end to end are striking and the transition from dense urban to pseudo-countryside was interesting to observe. My favorite areas were the ones right next to the city (Upper Darby) and also the far western areas i found to be kind of scenic with lots of hills and trees. I found the middle parts just bland suburbia with ugly shopping centers.
Agreed. I love Llanerch, but there are also some great expansive fields after you pass Ridley Creek and the Edgemont Country Club. Unfortunately a lot of those expanses are being filled in with new housing and retai.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:10 PM

177 posts, read 306,228 times
Default The REAL DL on Delco

RCdelco, I'm sorry but this is just unbelievably inaccurate. As somebody who is from a more working class part of the county and has been in every single part of it at one point or another and knows people from all over it, I feel that I need to correct your misinformation here.

I'm going to do this by sections rather than alphabetically because it paints a more accurate picture of the county and of the relationships between different places in the county, their influence on each other, and their future going forward.

We'll start with Main Line Delco: Not much needs to be said, though if anybody would like to give more info it would be appreciated.

Ardmore: May be "working class" for the Main Line but it's not working class. It's in two excellent school districts and really doesn't face the kind of problems that legitimately working class places in the county do. Has its own "downtown" area and places like Suburban Square. Despite all of this, it is underrated compared to other parts of the Main Line and has a lot of unfulfilled potential.

Haverford: Main Line. Really nothing more to say. Served by the Norristown High Speed Line from the 69th Street Terminal in Upper Darby.

Radnor: Main Line. The richest, nicest part of the entire county. Home to the prestigious and growing Villanova University, some of the most expensive, nicest houses in the metro and maybe even the country, and multiple office parks. Part of the (Main-Line) Radnor School District. Served by the Norristown High Speed Line.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:12 PM

Default Eastern

Eastern: The places in this section of the county either border Philadelphia or are close to it. They tend to be walkable, well-served by public transportation, have older, varied architecture, are built almost on a grid along older, more urban thoroughfares, and either have an urban town square/downtown area or the potential for one. The places in this section of the county are underrated and have a ton of unfulfilled potential.

Aldan: Is like Clifton Heights-lite at the most. Kids from Aldan love to pretend they're from Clifton but really it's just a more suburban (for that section of the county) area that happens to be in a bad school district. It used to share a high school with just Lansdowne before the poorly thought out consolidation of districts in the 70s-80s. The fact that it borders places like Clifton Heights, Collingdale, Darby, and is close to Yeadon are the only problems Aldan has.

Clifton Heights
: Actually has quite a few "stand-out" homes, from tiny, non-airlite row homes to plenty of the "West Philly" style rowhomes to old homes built for the middle-management of the mills and other factories to the big, old homes built for the people of means. It even has the same suburban homes that go for much, much more in the nicer, more suburban parts of the county. Has creeks, woods, plenty of history, and its own "downtown" area, multiple parks including Kent Park under the bridge, used to have its own high school and until recent interference from outsiders had its own waterfall, and is much more like any other smaller, industrial PA borough than it is any of the other places in the county. Has always had problems that come with being built around industry, and the problems it's facing now are a result of the loss of most of its industry, Section 8, and kids from the suburbs coming there to buy drugs. Is known locally for producing some standout athletes despite its small size.

Collingdale: Also has some standout houses and the exact same kind of "West Philly" rowhomes that go for a ton of money all over West and parts of northern SW Philly. Like Clifton Heights, a working class, proud community that has really suffered due to the fact that it borders Darby, Yeadon, and Sharon Hill, and the fact that it's in one of the worst school districts in the state. Has definitely seen better days, but is still not as bad as Darby.

Colwyn: Becoming an extension of Darby. Lost its Delco-League baseball team (along with Clifton Heights and virtually everywhere else in the eastern part of Delco) a few years ago, and is definitely in trouble overall, given that it borders Darby and an increasingly bad part of SW Philly (mostly Eastwick). When far SW Philly saw huge white flight in the 90s-early 2000s, places like Colwyn, Darby, Sharon Hill, Darby Township, etc lost their buffer from the "bad" parts of SW at the time.

Darby borough: The most urban part of the county outside of Chester city, even in its depopulated state it still has over 10,000 people in less than a square mile. One of the oldest parts of the county, its Main Street used to be a bustling, urban center, and it used to feature a fairly large (for the time) ballpark named Hilldale Park. Has always been a tough, working class industrial sort of place but the loss of most of its industry and especially the damage by Hurricane Floyd really sent Darby downhill quickly, and the problems of the Elmwood section of SW Philadelphia that it borders have spread through Darby and are now really moving outwards towards the places it borders. The documentary "The Borough" really tells the tale of how Darby came to be the way it is now. Still, if you drive through parts of Darby, you'll think it's pretty nice and probably won't even realize you're in Darby. Has without a doubt the most colonial architecture outside of Chester and Media, as well as the most regular Philly-style rowhomes outside of Media and Chester.

Drexel Hill: Really has only one "bad" part, and that's the area directly across the creek from Clifton Heights/Westbrook Park, the former Kellyville area with St. Charles Church and the school that is now Charles Kelly Elementary, and even that's simplifying that section a bit. Other than that, everywhere outside of the rowhomes and apartment buildings in Drexel Hill is either solid, nice, or really damn nice. The airlite rowhomes and old apartment buildings in parts were mostly either infill developments for returning GIs or redevelopment of former industrial sites or the tenements that went along with them. Has a "downtown" area near Garret, Burmont, and State Rds that has a ton of little mom & pop businesses, restaurants and other places most people on this board have probably never heard of, housed in old, urban buildings as well as some fairly large apartment complexes. Has some of the most varied architecture in the county, and if you actually pay attention to it when you're there then you'll notice a ton of architecture you never actually realized was there nor would you expect to be there. In every section except Pilgrim Gardens, Drexel Hill is actually a lot more urban than it gets credit for, given the apartments above many of the older commercial buildings, the many large apartment complexes, the somewhat grid layout, and its access to bus routes and to two trolley lines. Tends to be nicer north of Garret Rd in general, but there are still plenty of very nice, impressive old houses and other architecture south of Garret as well. Very connected and walkable in general.

East Lansdowne: A mix of Drexel Park, Lansdowne, Yeadon, and the nearby part of Upper Darby (Beverly Hills). Really block by block, with some streets being safe, quiet, and very well kept with amazing older architecture and others not so safe, quiet or nice with smaller, more working class houses. A pretty diverse community in every way possible, with everybody from medical professionals and other high-earning people, to college students, to immigrants, to working class old-timers living there. Has its own downtown, around Baltimore and Pembroke Aves, that most scared suburbanites have never actually seen. Its biggest problems are the fact that it borders Yeadon to the south and the somewhat notorious Long Ln section of Upper Darby to the northeast, and the fact that it's in an awful school district. If it weren't for the huge cemetery to its east, East Lansdowne would directly border the Cobbs Creek section of West Philadelphia.

Havertown: A CDP within Haverford township and slightly within Upper Darby township as well. There really is no bad part of Havertown, and it's really laughable that anybody would actually think there is. The part with rowhomes closer to Upper Darby might not be as upscale as the rest of Havertown but it's certainly not "bad". Has a "downtown" area near West Chester and Eagle Road. Ranges from typical suburban homes to amazing, older homes and even to old, large stone homes similar to the ones in the Drexel Park and Aronimink sections of Drexel Hill. Very similar to Upper Darby and Drexel Hill in parts with the way it can feel somewhat urban and the way it is somewhat on a grid in parts. Housing is more expensive than neighboring Drexel Hill but a bargain compared to how much housing like that can go for in the actual Main Line and other more pretentious parts of the county. Given the bargains to be had on its amazing older homes and the fact that it's in a Main Line school district that is one of the best, there is not a better bargain you'll find anywhere in the county.

Lansdowne: Anybody who says Lansdowne is anything but on the up-and-up doesn't have a clue what they're talking about. Has a mix of hipsters/young professionals, young families, immigrants/people moving up from Philly or elsewhere, and old-timers. A "No Place for Hate" community, by far one of the most tolerant parts of the county since it's been relatively diverse for over a decade now. Has two regional rail stops, a downtown along Lansdowne and Baltimore Aves, complete with one of the best restaurants in the entire metro in Sycamore, a restored movie theater, an indie theater, and various mom and pop businesses and other establishments. In a bad school district but it has the private Lansdowne Friends School, and used to have its own Catholic school in St. Philomena's (which Larry Mente is an alumni of). Has been named both a Classic Town of Greater Philadelphia and a Best Place to Live by Philadelphia Magazine. It's got some problems near the East Lansdowne border that often make sheltered suburbanites think all of Lansdowne is like that yet Lansdowne features things like movie nights in the warmer months at Hoffman Park as well as a farmer's market. A very underrated place that could have a very bright future someday.

Millbourne: Without a doubt the smallest municipality in the county, one of the most urban, and definitely one of the densest. It is a very diverse community in every way, from young professionals and others who love the quick ride to Center City on the El to all different kinds of immigrants to old-timers. I believe it's the only municipality in the country with an Asian majority or something along those lines. Given the fact that it used to be considered a financially distressed municipality by the state, its relative safety and stability when compared with similar parts of neighboring Upper Darby is more than a little impressive. Was the site of the first mills in the state, formerly very industrial. Part of the Upper Darby school district.

Upper Darby: Is as varied and diverse as Philadelphia in pretty much every way. Has sections that are very working class and were built around industry (Cardington, Stonehurst, Kellyville), sections that are more lower-middle to middle class (Westbrook Park, Bywood, the parts of Drexel Hill and elsewhere with airlite rowhomes), sections that are middle class (what's considered "normal" Drexel Hill, outside of Drexel Park, Pilgrim Gardens, Aronimink, but also outside of Kellyville), and sections that are upper-middle class and even upper-class (Beverly Hills, Highland Park, Drexel Park, Aronimink, Pilgrim Gardens). By far the most diverse place in the metro outside of Philadelphia, and that can't be disputed. Diverse in every way really, from architecture to neighborhood features, to level of urbanity, to income level, ethnicity, profession, and socioeconomically. Has multiple immigrant enclaves and continues to add more, as well as an improved downtown with a brand new H&M, Ross, and Burlington Coat Factory, and the best, most varied ethnic restaurants and businesses outside of the city. Housing really is a steal throughout, and Upper Darby has solid Catholic schools, a solid Catholic high school, and one of the best private schools in the county in Holy Child. The school district and high taxes hold Upper Darby back, mainly due to funding issues and the loss of Upper Darby's tons of industry even into the 2000s. Has problems in parts but mostly just closest to West Philly, specifically the Long Ln area. If Upper Darby could fix its schools, it would be one of the best places in the metro without a doubt.

Yeadon: Used to be where the upper-middle class and upper-class lived at one point. Became highly African American within the past decades, but is mainly middle class African Americans, with people coming over in recent years with less money than others, and has really seen problems due to bordering Kingsessing and Darby/Colwyn. In one of the worst school districts in the state. Has some of the most impressive architecture in the county though, on par with Lansdowne, Drexel Park, East Lansdowne, etc.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:14 PM

Default Southeast Delco

Southeast Delco: Includes every part of the Southeast Delco school district except Collingdale. The fact that parts of this section of the county have rail lines running through them helps but really this is mostly a working class area and probably will be for a long time in the future.

Darby township: Used to include the majority of the eastern part of the county before many places broke off and formed their own municipalities. Has really seen better days and is in an awful school district. Not all of the township is the same, as places like Briarcliffe are much different than the parts closer to SW Philadelphia and other not-so-great places. Would be a solid place if it weren't for its location and the school district it's included in.

Folcroft: A mix of working class and lower class people, with a lot of white trash. Borders a part of SW Philly that is getting worse, and is in one of the worst school districts in the state. Has a good amount of industry and has suffered from problems related to pollution from said industry over its history.

Sharon Hill: A working class area that has seen a lot of problems due to the part of Southwest Philly it borders as well as the fact that it borders Darby, Colwyn, Collingdale, and Folcroft, plus loss of industry and being in one of the worst school districts in the state. Is the end of the 102 Trolley Line from the 69th Street Terminal in Upper Darby and is home to a campus of DCCC. Still has industrial parks, and is full of tough, proud working class people, otherwise it probably would've gone much further downhill by now.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:16 PM

Default Southern

Southern Delco: Places in this section of the county either straddle I-95 or have I-95 run through them, and are served by the Wilmington/Newark Regional Rail line. This section has been divided and negatively impacted by I-95 and other highways built within the past half-century, especially Chester, but is still walkable, urban, and has varied, older architecture. This area should really benefit from the expansion of the Philadelphia International Airport and its runways if that ever happens. Places in this section also are either along or close to the Delaware River.

Chester city: Really can't be compared to the other places in the county. By far the most urban part of the county, it's a city which used to have a downtown that was much larger than its current one but that has been torn down, fallen into disrepair, and really just ruined by the state and county for things like I-95, which cut Chester in half. They could actually cap the highway and connect Chester again given that it is below the ground level of the two halves of the city but they probably never will. It's currently by far the most dangerous, violent part of the county, and the most poor. It was formerly one of the most important cities in the early days of this country, as a county seat and a major city that was heavily involved in the military and Navy. Once it lost its status as the county seat, it was majorly revived by industry and ended up annexing its former neighbors and eventually swelling to 66,000 people in roughly 5 square miles. Is much more complex than many scared suburbanites realize, still has museums, historical sites, and some beautiful old parks, as well as some sections with some damn nice houses. It also boasts the most colonial (and even pre-colonial in parts) architecture in the county outside of Media and Darby borough, as well as the oldest continuously used courthouse in the country. The oldest city in PA, and one with a storied history in every sport from football to basketball to baseball, and now soccer. Boasts a nice waterfront park near the bridge, a growing Widener University, a racino by Harrah's, and a Major League Soccer stadium. At one point, Chester was considered a bigger city than Wilmington. This site is really the only thing that can give you an idea of what Chester used to be: Historic Chester, PA

Chester Township: Not quite Chester but it's definitely not in great shape either. Part of the Chester/Upland School District.

Lower Chichester: Borders Marcus Hook, Linwood, Boothwyn, Upper Chichester, and the state of Delaware. Part of the Chichester School District, which isn't great but isn't as bad as the three worst in the county for sure, and is boosted by Boothwyn and Upper Chichester.

Eddystone: A generally working class area that borders Chester on one side and Ridley on another. Formerly the home of industry such as the Baldwin Locomotive Works, which was where the Walmart now is. The two office highrises on the site are still standing. Contrary to the popular belief on this website, Eddystone isn't a part of Ridley. Eddystone just sends its kids to Ridley schools. Eventually will be one of the areas that holds up the Ridley School District.

Linwood: I really don't know anything about Linwood except the fact that it's in the Chichester School District.

Marcus Hook: A very proud, working class, industrial borough. Has had its problems but is NOWHERE near being anything like Chester. Has a downtown area with all kinds of different little establishments, a park along the river, historical sites such as the supposed house that Blackbeard visited often, and has a proud sporting history that produced the greatest baseball player to ever come out of the county in Mickey Vernon. Has a long history of refining oil, but other industry as well. Borders Trainer but also borders the state of Delaware. Is in the Chicester School District.

Norwood: Very much like neighboring Prospect Park and Tinicum. Has some nice, older architecture in parts, especially the older working class/middle management houses. Part of the fairly-solid Interboro School District.

Parkside: In between Upland and Brookhaven, literally and figuratively. Luckily is in the solid Penn-Delco School District. Seen better days for sure, but not quite down for the count.

Prospect Park: Very much like neighboring Norwood and Tinicum. Another older, mostly lower-middle class to working class borough, with some nice older architecture in parts. In the Interboro School District.

Ridley Park: A hidden gem of an area that was built by a competing railroad to rival the railroad town of Bryn Mawr. Amazing older architecture in parts but also places like contemporary apartment buildings. Has a nice little downtown area, and is a place that hipsters/young professionals/young families are moving to due to its amazing older architecture in parts, its solid school district, and its easy access to both PHL and Philadelphia. Will increasingly be one of the parts that holds up Ridley School District in the future.

Tinicum: One of the oldest parts of the county, is home to the Lazaretto (a predecessor to Ellis Island), the birthplace of the Stromboli, a park on the Delaware River waterfront, and most importantly Philadelphia International Airport (and many hotels and business parks related to it). In danger of having large parts of it bulldozed for the extension of PHL's runways. A pretty tight, working class community with prideful people and some nice older architecture in parts. Also home to a few strip clubs near the airport (if that's your thing) and other places.

Trainer: A working class community that is having major problems due to neighboring Chester. Home of one of the most important refineries on the East Coast, borders Chester but is nowhere near as bad as Chester. Luckily is in the Chichester School District and not Chester-Upland.

Upland: Site of the original Swedish colony, as well as Fort Upland. Borders Chester but isn't anywhere near as bad as Chester, though things aren't looking good. Home of the Crozer-Chester Medical Center. Is unfortunately in the Chester-Upland School District, the worst and probably poorest in the state.

Southern Ridley Township: The part of Ridley that stretches from just above I-95 down to the Delaware river, this is the part that has potential in the future due to its proximity to PHL, its being along the Wilmington-Newark line and I-95, and being along the Delaware River and Darby Creek.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:18 PM

Default Southwestern Central

Southwestern Central Delco: A mix of older, walkable communities (mostly along a train or trolley line) and newer suburban sprawl. Originally built because of Chester city, whether as a suburb of it or as an outlying town. Places in this section tend to be in great school districts and have walkable, urban downtown or town center areas.

Aston Township: There is no low-income housing in Aston. It's a middle to upper-middle class area, with a solid school district, that boasts a movie studio and a growing Neumann University. A mixture of worn suburban housing, large new tract home communities, and some older architecture in parts.

Brookhaven: Typical older suburb, in the same school district as Aston but also Parkside, which it borders. Used to have its own middle school but that got closed down and sold to The Christian Academy. Neighbors Parkside but isn't really guaranteed to become anything like Parkside, let alone Upland, let alone Chester. Also borders Aston, which is definitely a plus. Time will tell which way Brookhaven and the Penn-Delco school district as a whole will go.

Media: The most urban place outside of Chester and Darby, with a fairly large downtown area, all different kinds of rowhomes, and probably the most colonial architecture and regular Philly-style rowhomes in the entire county. A bustling, urban center, Media is by far the center of Delaware County at this point, besides being the county seat. Its downtown has the most restaurants in the county by far, as well as numerous unique and even upscale shops in parts and plenty of boutiques. Tons of apartments in parts but also some of the best housing in the area architecturally, too. I take back what I said about Havertown being the best bargain in the county. Media is, because it's in an excellent school district but at the same time the borough has housing in parts that would go for much more in more pretentious areas. Not as crazy liberal as has been made out to be, is very diverse in every way really, and becoming moreso every day. Has everything from working/lower-middle class people to college students to hipsters/young professionals, to families of all ages and types. Very walkable borough with parks and nature throughout. Served by rail, trolley, and multiple bus lines. Basically, if DCCC was a four-year school, Media would be West Chester.

Middletown: Often mistaken for Media because it has the same zipcode, a very suburban township that features the Granite Run Mall, multiple shopping centers/strips, especially along Baltimore Ave, the Rocky Run YMCA (one of the nicest, biggest, newest ones in the area), Penn State University at Lima, and basically just a host of suburban and exurban things, but also things like the expanded Riddle Hospital and apartment complexes in parts. Becoming more and more accessible to middle class and lower-middle class people, which makes suburbanites think it's going down when it isn't. In the excellent Rosetree-Media School District, but probably the most-increasingly accessible part of it. One of the areas, along with Aston, that should become a lot more diverse in the coming decades.

Morton: There are no public housing projects in Morton. I'm not sure where people heard there were but there aren't. Furthermore, Morton has housing stock in parts that isn't exactly cheap, is in both the Springfield and Wallingford-Swarthmore School Districts, and may be 25% African American but is a middle-class African American enclave in the parts that are. A CDP within Springfield Township. Is working and lower-middle class in parts but no part of it is the least bit shady. Its downtown has seen better days but it has great "bones" as they say, and a few assets still. One of the places that will eventually hold up Ridley School District because it's actually walkable, along transit, somewhat urban, and has varied architecture.

Nether Providence
: Another one of those places that's a combination of newer and older suburbia. Similar to Middletown. Is in the excellent Wallingford-Swarthmore School District.

Rutledge: A small borough that borders Springfield, the Folsom section of Ridley, Darby Township, and Morton, and is near Swarthmore. Part of the excellent Wallingford-Swarthmore School District.

Swarthmore: Beautiful old architecture that doesn't come cheap. Has a nice downtown area and one of the most prestigious small colleges in Swarthmore. Part of the excellent Wallingford-Swarthmore School District. Home to a mix of families, college students, and young professionals.

Wallingford: A CDP within Nether Providence Township, very similar to Swarthmore but without its downtown. In the excellent Wallingford-Swarthmore School District.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:20 PM

Default Central

Central Delco: The most suburban part of the county, this is the area that is most often referred to as "Delco". The places in this section tend to be postwar suburbia, malls, strip malls/shopping centers, "town centers", and was built around the automobile. Has varied, older architecture in parts, mostly along current or former rail lines. This section of the county continues to become more and more worn and urban without actually becoming more walkable or connected, which is only going to be more and more of a problem in the future. This section will become much more diverse in the future than it's ever been as housing prices continue to fall.

Glenolden: Really not the least bit working class, except maybe in a handful of parts. Mostly a worn, older suburban area that has seen better days. Suffers from a lot of the same "wannabe" thugs running around as Aldan does, except Glenolden is actually in a fairly solid school district, Interboro. Glenolden does border some worsening areas though, for sure. The most downscale part of Central Delco.

Marple: A middle to upper-middle class area, very similar to Springfield but with a better school district and parts that are a bit more upscale. A mix of the areas it borders, it's served by multiple bus lines and has a "downtown" sort of area around West Chester Pike. Part of the Marple-Newtown School District.

Ridley: A very varied but largely suburban area. The section nearest Chester (especially Woodlyn) is definitely "a mess", and Folsom isn't looking great, but the middle area of Ridley is still somewhat solid. Used to be middle class with pockets of possibly upper-middle class but is definitely becoming lower-middle class with pockets of middle class these days. Has great, older architecture in parts but also many airlite rowhomes and boring typical suburbia in other parts. School district used to be solid and considered the best of the Southern part of Delco by far but now is falling below Interboro. Could really have a lot of potential for TOD if they ever turned the CSX freight line running through Ridley into passenger rail, and has the potential for a "downtown" area along MacDade Boulevard.

Springfield: A middle to upper-middle class suburban area. Has architecture that varies from smaller old houses/duplexes to apartment buildings to typical suburban houses to old, large houses, to huge new tract homes. Home to a country club with a Marriot Courtyard Hotel and a restaurant and bar, a swim club, a hospital with the Healthplex, the Springfield Mall, AMC Marple10, multiple shopping centers and strip malls along multiple strips but especially Baltimore Ave, multiple Catholic schools and a Catholic high school, and the prestigious Rolling Green golf club. School district is better than Ridley and Interboro but not even as good as Marple-Newtown let alone the best districts in the county. Has older, impressive architecture either along or near the Route 101 trolley, as well as multiple town center areas and the potential for more as well as for TOD development. Kids in the section closest to Clifton Heights like to pretend they're from Clifton and pretend to be something they're not but really that and kids from Springfield being bored or going to Clifton and elsewhere to buy drugs and becoming addicts are the only problems Springfield has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia