U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-11-2013, 04:56 PM
 
76 posts, read 171,544 times
Reputation: 38

Advertisements

I think that's what I'm talking about actually. Some of them really are huge they just look so out of place with the area. Hahaha. I do remember when Bishop Hill was considered "elite" ... So funny to look back on now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2013, 08:06 PM
 
10 posts, read 26,737 times
Reputation: 12
Thanks for all of you who have given me better ideas about nice places in Delaware County to live in. That's really helpful and I can't stop saying THANK YOU ALL.

By the way, someone has mentioned something about my budget. I am looking for $1000 monthly payment house. If that is going to give you an idea of areas I can look for, that's fantastic.

All the best!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2013, 11:56 AM
 
28 posts, read 67,708 times
Reputation: 27
Places like Ardmore, Radnor and Villanova hardly classify as Delco. Okay, sure, geographically they are lumped in with Delaware County but anyone who has spent a considerable amount of time in any of these areas know that it is a completely different vibe from other delco towns.

When I think of Delco I think of blue-collar communities. Glenolden, Ridley, Folsom, and even parts of Springfield really exemplify this stereotype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2013, 12:44 PM
 
Location: New York City
6,227 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Reputation: 3325
Quote:
Originally Posted by gophils09 View Post
Places like Ardmore, Radnor and Villanova hardly classify as Delco. Okay, sure, geographically they are lumped in with Delaware County but anyone who has spent a considerable amount of time in any of these areas know that it is a completely different vibe from other delco towns.

When I think of Delco I think of blue-collar communities. Glenolden, Ridley, Folsom, and even parts of Springfield really exemplify this stereotype.

The same could be said for Media, Upper Providence, Glen Mills, Garnet Valley, Chadds Ford, Newtown Square, Swarthmore, Wallingford.

I hardly consider any of these towns "Delco" I actually cannot stand that term, and I do think it coincides with the older working class portions of the county rather than the towns I just mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2013, 10:58 AM
 
364 posts, read 619,744 times
Reputation: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The same could be said for Media, Upper Providence, Glen Mills, Garnet Valley, Chadds Ford, Newtown Square, Swarthmore, Wallingford.

I hardly consider any of these towns "Delco" I actually cannot stand that term, and I do think it coincides with the older working class portions of the county rather than the towns I just mentioned.
When I meet somebody from the county we're talking about, I (somewhat-jokingly) ask, "Are you from Delco or Delaware County?" The responses are as you'd expect.

Really I like the term 'Delco.' Its name itself represents the schism between the blue-collar towns and the well-to-do enclaves and border developments (I wouldn't call Glen Mills a town).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2013, 10:40 PM
 
Location: New York City
6,227 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Reputation: 3325
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirk View Post
When I meet somebody from the county we're talking about, I (somewhat-jokingly) ask, "Are you from Delco or Delaware County?" The responses are as you'd expect.

Really I like the term 'Delco.' Its name itself represents the schism between the blue-collar towns and the well-to-do enclaves and border developments (I wouldn't call Glen Mills a town).
I always say Delaware county, delco is more of a joking way to say it. Glen Mills has its own zipcode, very small, but I would consider it a town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2013, 10:52 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Reputation: 4755
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I always say Delaware county, delco is more of a joking way to say it. Glen Mills has its own zipcode, very small, but I would consider it a town.
19342/Glen Mills is 19.5 square miles and home to over 18,000 people--hardly small. I also wouldn't consider its patchwork of sprawl a "town," but that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 11:21 AM
 
Location: New York City
6,227 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Reputation: 3325
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
19342/Glen Mills is 19.5 square miles and home to over 18,000 people--hardly small. I also wouldn't consider its patchwork of sprawl a "town," but that's just me.
A large portion of Glen Mills is considered Concordville, a part also in Middletown, hence why Glen mills itself is very small. Nit pick with words, but I would consider it a town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 03:13 PM
 
73 posts, read 88,637 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gophils09 View Post
Places like Ardmore, Radnor and Villanova hardly classify as Delco. Okay, sure, geographically they are lumped in with Delaware County but anyone who has spent a considerable amount of time in any of these areas know that it is a completely different vibe from other delco towns.

When I think of Delco I think of blue-collar communities. Glenolden, Ridley, Folsom, and even parts of Springfield really exemplify this stereotype.
That's funny because none of those places are legitimately working class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The same could be said for Media, Upper Providence, Glen Mills, Garnet Valley, Chadds Ford, Newtown Square, Swarthmore, Wallingford.

I hardly consider any of these towns "Delco" I actually cannot stand that term, and I do think it coincides with the older working class portions of the county rather than the towns I just mentioned.
That's also funny because it's the middle and upper-middle class places that exemplify the Delco stereotype.

Not the working class places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 04:19 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Reputation: 4755
Quote:
Originally Posted by 058057 View Post
That's funny because none of those places are legitimately working class.
To be fair, he did say "blue collar," which includes blue collar professionals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 058057 View Post
That's also funny because it's the middle and upper-middle class places that exemplify the Delco stereotype.

Not the working class places.
What would you say makes the middle/upper-middle class DelCo stereotype distinct from Philly's other middle/upper-middle class suburbs? Not questioning your authority, just curious as to your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top