U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 02:56 PM

11 posts, read 82,608 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I just got ticketed today. I was in the middle of an intersection trying to turn left. Of course I am waiting for the opposite traffic. At the time I have a chance to turn, it was yellow already, and red at the time I push my gas.

A police was waiting there and stop me. She was being nice and telling things I need to do if I think I am not guilty. I know that by signing the ticket, it does not say I am guilty.

Can anyone here comment about this situation? Am I 'technically' guilty or not? If I am behind the pedestrian crossline and try to make a left turn when it is yellow/red, I know that it is my fault, but in my case? I have been trying to find this situation online but could not find any articles about this.

I am going to fill a not guilty plea to the court. Please advice/comment on this. Thank you in advance.

Hadi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 07:36 PM

511 posts, read 1,793,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yphs_mst View Post
Can anyone here comment about this situation?
Hadi
Yes I can, you need to be through the intersection by the time it turns yellow. If you don't think you can make it, you should wait. You were wrong.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:26 AM

Yes, I am sure that half of my car is in the intersection already when it was green (the back of my car may be still on the pedestrian crosswalk). If I stop, I think I am going to annoy the cross traffic, correct?

The reason that I do not want to back off is that I do not want to hit people crossing the street. That's why I am going forward.

If I am in the middle of the intersection and going thru, I should not be guilty, correct? I have been trying to find info about this anywhere. Oh, thank you for the reply. I appreciate it.

Hadi

Old 11-12-2007, 06:06 AM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times
The PA drivers manual is on-line. PENNSYLVANIA DMV Did you look there? My understanding is that what you did was correct - you had to clear the intersection as soon as you could and what happened was that the cars that you were waiting for themselves went through very yellow lights. Your fault was that it was probably a busy intersection and if there wasn't a very good chance of making it through on the green arrow or on the green light, then you should have waited through the next cycle until the green arrow came on again. If it was very busy and there was no green arrow then it was probably frustrating to wait.

If I have to turn left at a busy intersection and I can see that there is too much traffic to make a left turn reasonable at a light, I will instead get into the right lane, turn right and then make a (legal, like into a store parking lot) u turn and then go straight through the intersection.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:57 AM

511 posts, read 1,793,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yphs_mst View Post
Yes, I am sure that half of my car is in the intersection already when it was green (the back of my car may be still on the pedestrian crosswalk). If I stop, I think I am going to annoy the cross traffic, correct?

The reason that I do not want to back off is that I do not want to hit people crossing the street. That's why I am going forward.

If I am in the middle of the intersection and going thru, I should not be guilty, correct? I have been trying to find info about this anywhere. Oh, thank you for the reply. I appreciate it.

Hadi
Instead of posting on an internet forum, you ought to just call the municipality where the offense occured. In my opinion, and I'm sure in theirs, you should have been fully through the intersection and on your way instead of lingering through the Yellow light. If you didn't think you could do it you should not have attempted it, especially with an officer near by.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:30 PM

Thank you for your opinions.

Quote:
The PA drivers manual is on-line. PENNSYLVANIA DMV Did you look there? My understanding is that what you did was correct - you had to clear the intersection as soon as you could and what happened was that the cars that you were waiting for themselves went through very yellow lights. Your fault was that it was probably a busy intersection and if there wasn't a very good chance of making it through on the green arrow or on the green light, then you should have waited through the next cycle until the green arrow came on again. If it was very busy and there was no green arrow then it was probably frustrating to wait.

If I have to turn left at a busy intersection and I can see that there is too much traffic to make a left turn reasonable at a light, I will instead get into the right lane, turn right and then make a (legal, like into a store parking lot) u turn and then go straight through the intersection.
I did check the PA driver's manual. If I didn't skip any, page 38 is the only part mentioning about this condition that I should not get caught in the mid of intersect because I can block the other traffic (on page 38). It means, I have to clear my way and I can't back off either since I might hit a little kid (yes, that area is school area). Oh BTW, thank you for the little tip ... ! I never thought that way before.

Quote:
Instead of posting on an internet forum, you ought to just call the municipality where the offense occured. In my opinion, and I'm sure in theirs, you should have been fully through the intersection and on your way instead of lingering through the Yellow light. If you didn't think you could do it you should not have attempted it, especially with an officer near by.
The reason i am sharing this in internet forum is also sharing it to everyone else who are looking for comments/opinions for the same situation. Thank you for your comments. It is true that on few intersection ahead, I saw a lot of police car (1 car in the next 5 intersections !!!). I was just unlucky I guess.

I will go to the court later, I hope things go well and I can get my point back.

Thank you for sharing everyone, I appreciate it!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:09 AM

33,068 posts, read 61,890,891 times
The irony is that four cars traveling straight through the intersection probably ran the red light, but you got ticketed.

Be sure and argue that you'd have presented a traffic hazard if you had not proceeded through the intersection.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:00 PM

23 posts, read 76,869 times
I would request a hearing. If you were stopped in the intersection waiting for cars to pass in the other direction so you could make a left turn, the proper thing to do is to clear the intersection when you are able.

Many times, they feel that a person may just pay the ticket and be done with it. If you feel that you were far enough into the intersection that you would have been blocking traffic if you would have stayed there, absolutely request a trial and plead your case. Even if the judge thinks you may have been at fault, many times, he can / will reduce the fine amount or reduce or eliminate any points. It's always worth it to request a trial.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:53 PM

Thanks for the comments ...!! I appreciate it so much!

I paid this online a long time ago and waiting for any mails about the hearing. It's been 2 months and didn't come! Hmm ... I guess I should call them and make sure when I should be in the court. Very annoying >_< ...

Hadi

Old 12-29-2007, 09:34 AM

20,322 posts, read 18,322,261 times
I once wanted to fight a parking ticket but you can't. You have to not pay and then face contempt charges which doubles the fine. Then you can request a hearing. In my case it would have doubled the fine to over a hundred bucks. I guess it evens out since I once beat a traffic ticket in court. At least you didn't block the intersection by being in it and then not being able to move forward. people who do that do deserve tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or