U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 05:55 AM

3 posts, read 4,793 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating from Houston for a job in Pottstown. I'm not very familiar with the area and would like some help on where to live. It sounds like commuting from Philadelphia would be brutal because of the back up on 422 (too bad, I was hoping it would be a reverse commute and be ok).

Where do people recommend? I am a female in my low 30s, no children. I am big into running and triathlons, and am hoping to find somewhere that I can get into a group for that and also have great restaurants and things to do. My sister lives in Carlisle and that feels small, but has a cute downtown area, so something like that would be ok...but I was hoping for a little bigger.

What is KOP like other than the mall? West Chester? Phoenixville? How are all those commutes? Where else should I be looking? And what is Pottstown like (I'll be up visiting in a couple weeks, but read not to live there). I appreciate any help possible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 06:49 AM

2,377 posts, read 2,695,391 times
Commuting to pottstown would be hard even if you had a regional rail stop right outside your work place. I'd recommend using this job as a way to get into the area and look for a job in the city proper. This is more less what I did.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:13 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,124,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elc182000 View Post
I am thinking of relocating from Houston for a job in Pottstown. I'm not very familiar with the area and would like some help on where to live. It sounds like commuting from Philadelphia would be brutal because of the back up on 422 (too bad, I was hoping it would be a reverse commute and be ok).

Where do people recommend? I am a female in my low 30s, no children. I am big into running and triathlons, and am hoping to find somewhere that I can get into a group for that and also have great restaurants and things to do. My sister lives in Carlisle and that feels small, but has a cute downtown area, so something like that would be ok...but I was hoping for a little bigger.

What is KOP like other than the mall? West Chester? Phoenixville? How are all those commutes? Where else should I be looking? And what is Pottstown like (I'll be up visiting in a couple weeks, but read not to live there). I appreciate any help possible!
Phoenixville would be good - about 20-25 minutes via 422 or PA724, it has a reasonable selection of restaurants, and is ideal for cycling.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:00 AM

93 posts, read 178,445 times
Phoenixville would be a good commute. Maybe Collegeville too, easy access to the Perkiomen trail for biking which connects to the Schuykill River Trail through Philly as well. All these areas are pretty close the Limerick Nuclear Power Plant. The towers dominate the landscape in a few areas around Pottstown which scares some people off.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:43 AM

22,381 posts, read 33,159,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Phoenixville would be good - about 20-25 minutes via 422 or PA724, it has a reasonable selection of restaurants, and is ideal for cycling.

422 isnt actually bad with the direction you would be heading for the commute (the traffic is a nightmare heading east in the morning and west in the afternoon (you would be doing the opposite and it moves well actually)

The issue with Philly porper would be 76 which is bad from Philly to KOP (or vice versa) both morning and night. It can be done but you need to give yourself at least 60 minutes and more likely closer to 90 minutes for this daily (unless you leave early - afternoon rush back to the city can start as early as 3 and is especially bad on Fridays (summer shore traffic or if there is Phillies game (they play 82 homes games a year))

Pheonixville isnt bad, and West Chester (albeit would require more back roads to Pottstown) may be an option.

Another thing you may want to consider would be places like Wayne on the main line (good commuter rail access to Philly and a decent DT plus all the other main line towns), Chesterbrook (a planned community more akin to many things in Houston, sort of like a small woodlands if that makes sense and right on Valley Forge Park), or even Conshohoken (good rail access some nightlife and a small DT but may be a tad younger).

Also if you are looking for an apartment (not sure what you are looking for) there is two sets of apartments called Riverview Landing and the Lofts at Valley Forge that are right on the river trail with literally 10s of miles of running and biking trails and an easy commute up 422 and very close to KOP.

KOP is sort of like the Galleria area without highrises if that makes sense.

Also check into the many meetup groups in the area (am positive there is a running group)

Best of luck on your search!

And welcome to the Philly area

Old 08-04-2013, 08:22 AM

3 posts, read 4,793 times
Thank you! Very helpful information!!

Old 08-04-2013, 01:18 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elc182000 View Post

You might want to research Welcome to Philly Runners!.. Philly is a terrific running city thanks to Kelly Drive/Forbidden Drive/Fairmount Park. Visit the city if you can. Sound like you would enjoy visiting Center City, Chestnut Hill and Manayunk,

Closer to Pottstown. Valley Forge National Park has a wonderful running biking loop trail.

Agree with those that say to concentrate on the King of Prussia/Valley Forge/Collegeville areas close to 422. Also like Phoenixville for a commute to Pottstown.

Good luck.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:28 PM

283 posts, read 366,892 times
I think Phoenixville is your best option. Definately the best commute of the places you listed, and it has a very nice downtown, comparable (although not quite as nice as West Chester I have to admit painfully as a Phoenixville native). While you would be closer to 422 north of the Schuylkill in Collegeville, you won't find anything close to the downtown Phoenixville has on that side of the river between Norristown and Pottstown. Rent is also much cheaper in Phoenixville than it is in West Chester. KOP will put you close to the mall, but it's not very walkable and you'll have to drive everywhere if you want something. Phoenixville offers you the option to walk downtown to do some of your eating and shopping. Of course I'm biased but I really do think Phoenixville is your best option and I would love to see more people come and contribute to this up and coming town. I found a recent article about some serious development that will be going on in the Ville soon. Fox Realty Co. to partner on Phoenixville development - Philadelphia Business Journal Phoenixville puts you close to Pottstown but keeps you close to Philly as well. I would recommend a visit. Welcome to the area, and happy choosings!

Old 08-04-2013, 07:48 PM

2,913 posts, read 4,726,196 times
Phoenixville is a great little town that's just getting better and better. (Time for me to trot out my Classic Towns info. )

Phoenixville | Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia