U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2015, 06:43 AM
 
38 posts, read 32,022 times
Reputation: 38

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
It's not statewide, and the system is in no way in need of a bailout. On average the state schools perform quite well.
I wasn't talking about performance, I was talking about funding. From the article that rotodome linked to, there are districts across the entire state that are talking about taking enormous loans to make payroll.

Meanwhile...

Mastery gets $9.6m federal grant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2015, 12:44 PM
 
38 posts, read 32,022 times
Reputation: 38
Also, if you're really interested in fixing Philadelphia's public schools, please attend this meeting:

Philly SRC to hear from parents about charter conversion plans

It's tonight, Thursday 10/15.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2015, 01:41 PM
 
633 posts, read 492,096 times
Reputation: 1109
Quote:
Originally Posted by theTimmy View Post
I wasn't talking about performance, I was talking about funding. From the article that rotodome linked to, there are districts across the entire state that are talking about taking enormous loans to make payroll.

Meanwhile...

Mastery gets $9.6m federal grant
you mentioned the federal auto bailouts, which muddled your point a little. Let me be clear here.

The auto bailout was a situation where the auto companies were forced to seek federal funds and declare bankruptcy due to circumstances beyond their control- a big one was that the worldwide financial market meltdown led to a drastic tightening of credit. Both GM and their suppliers require credit to run their business, and consumers need access to credit to buy what GM was selling. Lock the credit market down and the entire system seizes up. The housing market ran into the same problem. Another was gasoline spiking to near $140 a barrel (it's about $46.00 right now) causing SUV and Pickup sales to crater- and SUVs and Pickups were making up the majority of US auto company profits. Your average sedan had a profit margin of around 3%, compared to 15-20% for a larger vehicle.

Nothing the auto companies could have done could have prepared them for either of these things. Their business was perfectly sustainable (though possibly expensive for them re: pensions which is a separate issue) prior to 2008.

The schools? different story. Schools can't make payroll and are taking loans simply because the general assembly and the governor won't pass a compromise budget. There's nothing unsustainable or uncontrollable about PA's financial situation. it's perfectly solvent and PA is constitutionally banned from running a deficit year to year as the federal government does. Were the general assembly not completely opposed to the concept of tax increases this wouldn't be happening. There is no reason for the federal government to step in and "bail out" anyone, PA can easily fix this itself- harrisburg just doesn't want to.

Last edited by Burger Fan; 10-15-2015 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2015, 01:58 PM
 
38 posts, read 32,022 times
Reputation: 38
Totally agree, but to play devils advocate, isn't:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
There's nothing unsustainable or uncontrollable about PA's financial situation.
similar (but obviously not equal) to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
[the auto companies] business was perfectly sustainable
Both systems are, at their base, economically sustainable. However, where the auto industry felt the pinch of tightening credit, the federal government steps in and bails them out. When the public school systems have felt the pinch of Harrisburg's underfunding for the last decade, the federal government does nothing (besides give millions to charters).

Just saying that an argument could be made...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2015, 02:11 PM
 
633 posts, read 492,096 times
Reputation: 1109
Quote:
Originally Posted by theTimmy View Post
Totally agree, but to play devils advocate, isn't:



similar (but obviously not equal) to:



Both systems are, at their base, economically sustainable. However, where the auto industry felt the pinch of tightening credit, the federal government steps in and bails them out. When the public school systems have felt the pinch of Harrisburg's underfunding for the last decade, the federal government does nothing (besides give millions to charters).

Just saying that an argument could be made...
No, it's not at all. The commonwealth (and all states) are sovereign entities. The federal government can't just "step in" to write a budget FOR them, and states cannot declare bankruptcy under federal law. (municipalities like detroit CAN however).

The state's problems are entirely manufactured and of it's own making. The state is in a position where it is perfectly capable of generating the revenue it needs, it just won't for ideological reasons. There's nothing the federal government can do here, because there is no outside crisis for it to solve.

The analogy here would be Ford going bankrupt because it refuses to charge consumers what it actually costs for a car, and instead is selling them at a 90% loss because "that's the price henry ford would have wanted." There would have been no bailout, the federal government would have told them to stop being idiots and taking a loss on product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 01:53 PM
 
38 posts, read 32,022 times
Reputation: 38
More bad news:

Philly schools forced to borrow more because of Pa. budget impasse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2015, 11:46 AM
 
38 posts, read 32,022 times
Reputation: 38
And some good news! Hopefully the next mayor will continue Nutter's proposed changes...

Mayor: Dissolve the School Reform Commission | Philadelphia Public School Notebook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2015, 03:10 PM
 
Location: back in Philadelphia!
3,260 posts, read 4,879,753 times
Reputation: 2051
Quote:
Originally Posted by theTimmy View Post
And some good news! Hopefully the next mayor will continue Nutter's proposed changes...

Mayor: Dissolve the School Reform Commission | Philadelphia Public School Notebook
I wonder what the odds of the School District getting its HQ building back are?
It was such a bummer when that went empty. Across the street from the Franklin Institute is(was) the ideal spot for the School District.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2015, 07:28 PM
 
10,277 posts, read 5,943,675 times
Reputation: 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I wonder what the odds of the School District getting its HQ building back are?
It was such a bummer when that went empty. Across the street from the Franklin Institute is(was) the ideal spot for the School District.
Wasn't that converted to rentals or condo units?

Can't see them leaving Broad St.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2015, 08:32 PM
 
Location: back in Philadelphia!
3,260 posts, read 4,879,753 times
Reputation: 2051
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Wasn't that converted to rentals or condo units?

Can't see them leaving Broad St.
I thought they were leasing office space in there?
It's such a classy building though. I remember going there to get some award in highschool and being very impressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top