Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 23,855 times

Advertisements

My wife, my child, and I will be moving out east for my job. I will be making 70k plus bonuses (anywhere from 0-30k), she will be making 45k as she has a job offer lined up. Also, we have no car or gas payments as we both will have company vehicles. Looking for sugesstions on areas with good school districts that are affordable on 115-145k household income. We want to be within 30 minutes of the city. We are looking to rent for 1 year and then purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 09:54 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,156,008 times
Given the age, traffic and compactness of this region the better/newer apartment communities and school districts are more than 30 minutes from the city. Anywhere from 30-75 minutes out to get the combination of good/great schools and newer housing.

You can find incredibly quaint towns and good schools close in but you will probably renting in a red brick box that was built in the 1960's or 70's. Media/Swarthmore/ The Main Line Towns which there are a bunch

If you can stretch the commute

Garnet Valley/Glen Mills/Chadds Ford

West Chester

Malvern/Chesterbrook

Chester Springs

Valley Forge

Collegeville/Skippack/Blue Bell

Doylestown

Good luck

Old 08-03-2013, 04:01 PM

9,333 posts, read 9,189,560 times
All of those towns are very nice and wonderful for families, but I would not classify them as affordable. Sure you can find a cheap house anywhere, but lets say you want to live in Chadds Ford, 150k will find you a pretty average house.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
All of those towns are very nice and wonderful for families, but I would not classify them as affordable. Sure you can find a cheap house anywhere, but lets say you want to live in Chadds Ford, 150k will find you a pretty average house.
pomp I believe OP gave an annual income of $150 K not housing price of $150 K.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:02 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,778,711 times
Look at Haddoenfield NJ. You will love it there. old world town that is spotless with stellar schools. 20 minites from Center city too.. The closest burb that is worth your time..

Haddonfieldnj.org - A website all about Haddonfield, New Jersey, featuring updates on Haddonfield events and happenings as well as important community information.

What Haddonfield looks like..

https://www.google.com/search?q=hadd...w=1440&bih=733

Old 08-04-2013, 10:54 AM

9,309 posts, read 12,898,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Look at Haddoenfield NJ. You will love it there. old world town that is spotless with stellar schools. 20 minites from Center city too.. The closest burb that is worth your time..

Haddonfieldnj.org - A website all about Haddonfield, New Jersey, featuring updates on Haddonfield events and happenings as well as important community information.

What Haddonfield looks like..

https://www.google.com/search?q=hadd...w=1440&bih=733
LOL at Haddonfield being "affordable."

Old 08-04-2013, 02:04 PM

Its not the closest burb worth your time either.

You can make it from parts of Lower Merion Township to Center City(Bala Cynwd, Merion,Wynnewood,Narberth,Penn Valley in 10 minutes.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:31 PM

9,309 posts, read 12,898,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Its not the closest burb worth your time either.

You can make it from parts of Lower Merion Township to Center City(Bala Cynwd, Merion,Wynnewood,Narberth,Penn Valley in 10 minutes.
Those aren't really affordable either.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:22 PM

512 posts, read 1,013,078 times
what about Collingswood Nj, Merchantville NJ, or Riverton NJ.... NJ burbs are nicer closer in than the avg PA Burb plus Philadelphia wage tax is deductible from NJ income tax.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:13 PM

177 posts, read 354,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
what about Collingswood Nj, Merchantville NJ, or Riverton NJ.... NJ burbs are nicer closer in than the avg PA Burb plus Philadelphia wage tax is deductible from NJ income tax.
... from eastern Center City and other eastern parts of the city. Not from the rest of the city, except South Philly.

Excellent school districts, well there's Haverford (If you live in Havertown, it's much more affordable than other parts of the township and not that far out from the city), Radnor, Rose Tree-Media (can take the train into Center City from Media in around a half hour to 45 mins, less for closer in parts of the district), Wallingford-Swarthmore, Lower Merion, and I don't know Montgomery County all that well so I can't go any further than that. I wouldn't classify any Jersey districts as "excellent" but that's just me.

By the way rainrock, they never said anything about newer housing. Also, new apartment buildings are everywhere. They build them all the time. Even Chester has apartment buildings from the '90s. Obviously you don't want to live in them but the point stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia