U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 01:12 PM

3,260 posts, read 4,877,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
The NY invasion of Philadelphia really began after the 9/11/2001 attacks, and accelerated with the housing bubble. Initially people were looking for an area that is safer and less likely to be attacked so you had a trickle of people who didn't have to be in NY, particularly immigrants. Then when word got out, more immigrants poured into Philly looking for a less expensive big city to settle in. I think the best time to have come here and buy real estate here was at the beginning of the 1990s when the city looked hopelessly lost. Everything was dirt cheap then.
Of course, in the beginning of the 90's you could still have bought dirt cheap real estate in now-fancy areas of NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 01:28 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Quote:
The NY invasion of Philadelphia really began after the 9/11/2001 attacks, and accelerated with the housing bubble. Initially people were looking for an area that is safer and less likely to be attacked so you had a trickle of people who didn't have to be in NY, particularly immigrants. Then when word got out, more immigrants poured into Philly looking for a less expensive big city to settle in. I think the best time to have come here and buy real estate here was at the beginning of the 1990s when the city looked hopelessly lost. Everything was dirt cheap then.
Though its not just poor immigrants moving in . It seems to be a wide ranging influx of all races and economic classes.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:41 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,429,306 times
I say WELCOME! Philly can always use a little more flavor. That's the whole reason why I left in the early 90s to live in NYC. Some extra swagger can't hurt!

Old 08-05-2013, 02:03 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,695,391 times
I'm convinced that a percentage of those who choose to move to NY would have found Philly was what they were really looking for. That or it would have provided what they cared about for cheaper.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:48 PM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
Quote:
there's always been a tremendous amount of give and take between the cities, though for a time Philly was always giving and when people moved back, they rarely moved back into the city. what probably changed wasn't 9/11 so much as gentrification of immigrant areas of nyc. dominicans, cubans, etc found they could live in philly much more cheaply and still be close to family...and yes, I think the trend is strongerin the lehigh valley. in my experience, Philly is also drawing from all NEPA and NJ.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:08 PM

58 posts, read 162,414 times
Many New Yorkers may be relocating to the Philadelphia area, and Pennsylvania in general, because of 2 of the most obvious reasons, close proximity and lower cost of living. I personally know plenty of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans from New York who have moved to Philly.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:29 PM

259 posts, read 322,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllStarSun View Post
Many New Yorkers may be relocating to the Philadelphia area, and Pennsylvania in general, because of 2 of the most obvious reasons, close proximity and lower cost of living.
How much lower?

I know that the City's "temporary" additional 1% on the sales tax became permanent, so the aggregate sales tax is now 8%. NYC's is now 8.875%. People on the Philly boards also talk (and complain) about the wage tax; I wonder whether there is a significant difference between that and, say, NYC's resident income tax.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:45 PM

3,260 posts, read 4,877,400 times
The cost of living is only lower if you can get the same job with the same salary in Philly that you had in NY. This is just not true for many people.
I've had the "I love Philly, but I could never move there because [insert job/career reason here]" conversation with a lot of people in NYC.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:46 PM

177 posts, read 306,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
The cost of living is only lower if you can get the same job with the same salary in Philly that you had in NY. This is just not true for many people.
I've had the "I love Philly, but I could never move there because [insert job/career reason here]" conversation with a lot of people in NYC.
It's also cheaper because it's a place where you can work a normal job and not have to live in some shoebox, even in decent neighborhoods. Think of how big Manhattan is compared to Philadelphia, and how much more accessible many parts of Philadelphia that fall within roughly the same area are when compared with how expensive Manhattan is.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:15 PM

259 posts, read 322,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1oozne View Post
It's also cheaper because it's a place where you can work a normal job and not have to live in some shoebox, even in decent neighborhoods. Think of how big Manhattan is compared to Philadelphia, and how much more accessible many parts of Philadelphia that fall within roughly the same area are when compared with how expensive Manhattan is.
That also works if one can find similar employment at a comparable salary. I know that if I were to take a similar job at a similar employer in this area, that'd mean a pay cut. It would offset the lower cost of living.

Don't more people in Philly have cars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or