U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 12:02 PM

11,942 posts, read 10,818,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1oozne View Post
I brought it up to show that somebody could live as close to a job in Center City distance-wise as they did to their old job in New York, and live for much, much cheaper. I always see comparisons between Center City and Manhattan but that's not really an accurate way to compare Philadelphia and New York given how much larger Manhattan is. So no, that's not why I was saying it, you just seemed to take it that way. Anybody who says that Center City is a cheaper version of Manhattan is being generous. Philadelphia is its own city with its own thing going on. It doesn't have all of what Manhattan, let alone New York does but it has things all its own. It depends on personal preference.

I didn't reaffirm that though, because it isn't the case. The idea that you need to be making the exact same amount of money as you did in New York for the cost of living to not be offset by a lower salary is absurd. Think for a second about just how expensive it is to live in New York, something you know from personal experience. What I said was it depends on your profession and what lifestyle you want to live. You can live in a relatively safe neighborhood within the same distance to Center City as many people live from their work in Manhattan, for much cheaper. That's not saying that you can live the "same exact lifestyle in the same exact type of place" for cheaper. I wasn't comparing Philadelphia and Manhattan. I was comparing Philadelphia and New York. I started that off by showing how big Manhattan is in comparison to Center City, so that people would understand that to get Brookyln, Queens, the Bronx, etc, you'd have to go pretty damn far into other parts of Philadelphia and even into its suburbs, most of which are also connected to Center City by rail. The wage tax is a problem I will admit, but the much cheaper residential options should more than make up for that. Unless you're some very highly paid professional, there is no way the drop off in salary should be that severe. People in professional jobs that are more ordinary shouldn't see such a severe drop in their salary. You can't tell me that somebody making $50,000 or more a year won't be able to live pretty comfortably in Philadelphia. Now if it's a family, well obviously other things get taken into consideration but you also have possibly two salaries, which should help.

Personally, I would never want to live in Manhattan. I would much rather live in Center City because it's vibrant and has a lot to do but it doesn't jump out at you all the time like Manhattan does. I'm glad Center City isn't Manhattan.

I'm fine with agreeing to disagree about this.

I'd say living further out in the outerboroughs is still very different than living in say the Far Northeast. When I lived in The Bronx I was still located on a subway line with 24 hour access to the entire West side of Manhattan. It may have taken a half hour+ to get to Penn Station but the accessibility to "the city" is still much better than what it would be in the Far Northeast.

Of course, it is also much easier to own and drive a car in the further out sections of Philly and money goes much, much further. There are also still affordable areas that have much better access to "the city" than Far NEAST.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 12:31 PM

259 posts, read 322,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
The topic of NY transplants moving to Philly is a little bit interesting.
I agree. When I read this article in Philadelphia Magazine last year, I wondered how representative was the author's description of the "NY-Delphians" to the trend of New Yorkers moving to Philly as a whole.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:05 PM

177 posts, read 306,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
You know, I did actually "think about" what I said from my own experience living in both cities for many years - but thanks for giving me the non-benefit of the doubt.

I'm not sure what we're agreeing to disagree about. You so far have not actually contradicted anything that I said, and no one aside from you has said anything about their personal preferences.

Other people seemed to understand what I said, so that will have to do.
The topic of NY transplants moving to Philly is a little bit interesting. But yet another "Philly vs NY" thread is definitely not.
I'm not making this a Philly vs NY thing. You are. I wasn't talking about quality of life or anything other than cost of living. I contradicted your saying that the lower cost of living is only not offset by lower salary if you get a similar job and a similar salary. I stand by my comments to the contrary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I'd say living further out in the outerboroughs is still very different than living in say the Far Northeast. When I lived in The Bronx I was still located on a subway line with 24 hour access to the entire West side of Manhattan. It may have taken a half hour+ to get to Penn Station but the accessibility to "the city" is still much better than what it would be in the Far Northeast.

Of course, it is also much easier to own and drive a car in the further out sections of Philly and money goes much, much further. There are also still affordable areas that have much better access to "the city" than Far NEAST.
I was talking specifically about geographical area. I only mentioned the fact that Manhattan alone is as big as the majority of the city east of the Schuylkill and east of the Northwest so that people who might not know the city as well or who might not know how New York's geographical size relates to Philadelphia's. I don't think it sinks in very often for people just how large Manhattan alone is and how much of Philadelphia it would take up if it were dropped in the city, and I've only seen it mentioned by johnstarks.

Like I said, whether or not the lower cost of living offsets the lower salary depends on your profession and what kind of lifestyle you want to live. If you are making $50,000+ a year and don't need to do expensive things fairly often then you should be able to live very comfortably in many parts of the city that are within the same geographical area as Manhattan, let alone the outer boroughs. At least you got what I was saying though.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:32 PM

5,292 posts, read 5,843,522 times
That is serious insight!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1oozne View Post
I'm well aware of that. No other city in the country is like New York. No other city has mini-cities like New York does in Long Island City and the downtown part of Brooklyn, let alone independent boroughs that are physically removed from the central business district and center of the city, especially not boroughs that individually have more population than almost every city in the country. I'm saying that unlike Manhattan, there are parts within the same area (as in the form of measurement, not as in "the same area as each other") that are much cheaper than anywhere in Manhattan and even anywhere near Midtown or Lower Manhattan, including the parts of Brooklyn and Queens closest to it. Also, Philadelphia has aspects to it that New York doesn't, like the Schuylkill River and University City, which is more like what Cambridge, Mass is to Boston than it is like any part of New York. Personally, I view Philadelphia as having aspects of New York, of Boston, of Chicago, and of other cities rather than just being like one or the other.

I agree with you, that really nowhere is like living in Manhattan except maybe cities outside of the US, but the point is that the lower cost of living doesn't automatically get offset because people live pretty damn far out in Manhattan and yet still pay a lot more money, when they can live in plenty of places that are within the same amount of area yet are dirt cheap in comparison. Not everybody in New York makes a ton of money. Outside of the very high paying jobs, there's no way the drop-off in salary is so severe that if automatically offsets the lower cost of living. It depends on your job and on the lifestyle you want to live. Maybe for you the salary drop offsets the lower cost of living but not for everybody.

Oh, and your numbers are from 2010. Also, the "expanded core" actually had 180,000 people in 7.8 square miles in 2010 according to CenterCityDistrict. I'm not saying there's been a huge boom but considering all of the residential that's been built since then, I'd say there's a good chance that there's more than 60,000 people in Center City proper at this point. Considering how far the population fell in Center City, and how much more full of apartments and condos pretty much every single part of Manhattan is, 60,000+ people in less than 3 square miles is nothing to sneeze at. Give it time before you start trying to compare a downtown that is the geographical size of maybe a neighborhood in Manhattan that isn't anywhere near built out to a place like Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or