Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 01:06 PM

197 posts, read 279,907 times

Advertisements

I am wondering about the safety of the area around Rising Sun Plaza where Rising Sun meets Adams in North Philly. Is this shopping center and the immediate vicinity seen as more dangerous than the big Walmart/Home Depot shopping center where Adams meets Roosevelt Boulevard? There are a few businesses scattered around this corner of the city that look seedy in and of themselves too. Among them would be the Jomar clothing store next to the Sears Automotive on Adams, the Asian supermarket on Whitaker (which was a Pathmark long ago), and the so-called Philly Supermarket on Adams, which really is just a tiny corner store but not on a corner. That whole strip center looks awful. I believe a Rite Aid was once there which was an improvement over its current state, but that is not saying much. A Wine & Spirits store is there which is really creepy, and a McDonalds is in the parking lot.

Also, is the Save-A-Lot/Wine & Spirits/CVS/Dunkin Donuts/Baskin-Robbins/Korean bank shopping center in Cheltenham (at Cheltenham Ave and Front St) known to be rough? What about the old Acme/Dollarland (currently abandoned I think) on Township Line Ave (or is it Cottman?), also known as Route 73, in Cheltenham? Or the Rite Aid at 5th and Olney?

I have observed all these establishments on various trips into the city over the years, but I am a suburbanite, so I really am not able to judge. I know my thread title might be confusing, but I really have two different questions here: would this by most standards be a rough area? But also, would this only be a rough area in the minds of ignorant, sheltered suburbanites (perhaps from Chester County, which I just mention due to it being relatively far away) who are not city people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 08:44 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,317,445 times
To address part of this, as a former and current suburbanite, I still shake my head at many things I see in Philly, so I would think it is rather dumpy, just from looking at it on google maps.

And I would say almost anyone from Chester county would consider that dumpy and dangerous. Chester county is very suburban and upscale, so many people from there would find the selection of stores and some of the clientele "eclectic"

Theres also your fair share of people in Delaware Bucks and Montgomery counties who would feel the same way.
I would say Chester, Bucks, then Delaware counties feature the most sheltered suburbanites.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:01 AM

20 posts, read 19,610 times
It depends on which direction from that intersection you are looking,
On the SE corner are projects, Not a good place,
Heading East is not a good neighborhood, Following Adams west you run into a couple Apt complexes which are also not real good,
BUT if you look just north on rising sun ave you will find smaller community neighborhoods which are just fine.
Peter

Old 07-12-2013, 04:12 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,868,226 times
Yes, rough areas... Make sure your doors are locked driving thru

Old 07-12-2013, 07:41 AM
LHM

204 posts, read 412,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I would say Chester, Bucks, then Delaware counties feature the most sheltered suburbanites.
Any data to back up this claim?

Old 07-12-2013, 07:56 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,765,776 times
From a Miami transplant (Aventura - North Miami Beach ) area, I consider the area is dumpy. IN fact, to be honest, I feel that most Philadelphia areas have dumpy look in it. Some areas that don't look dumpy is Rittenhouse Square, Society Hill and some part of Northern Liberty.

I think it is due to two things.
The first being the age of the buildings, which are clearly not well-maintained. And I don't blame them; it costs alot of money to clean buildings when they are being hit with 4 season weathers ranging from extra cold to super hot.
I also found the same in the burbs. There are parts of burbs that look so dumpy. Some part of Lansdale is so unbearable. But there is also some parts of burbs, in which the house owners really take care of their houses like on Roberts Ave of Glenside and King of Prussia.

The second being the amount of lights received. Some buildings could look so unattractive during winter but when Spring comes, they look more vibrant. (It is that or I actually got S A D during winter time that actually cloud my judgement).

Old 07-12-2013, 08:01 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,765,776 times
OK if you are talking about dumpy being dangerous - that's another topic LOL.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:13 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,317,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHM View Post
Any data to back up this claim?

It is common sense. I grew up living first in Aston, then Middletown, then Newtown Square. I know many people from that area as well as Malvern, Glen Mills, Thornbury, etc. Many people have a chip on their shoulder and would most definately consider that area dumpy, whether it really is or isnt. Its upscale suburban mentality, which is becoming overwhelming in much of Chester, Bucks, and Delaware counties. Not as much in Montgomery outside of Lower Merion and surrounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
From a Miami transplant (Aventura - North Miami Beach ) area, I consider the area is dumpy. IN fact, to be honest, I feel that most Philadelphia areas have dumpy look in it. Some areas that don't look dumpy is Rittenhouse Square, Society Hill and some part of Northern Liberty.

I think it is due to two things.
The first being the age of the buildings, which are clearly not well-maintained. And I don't blame them; it costs alot of money to clean buildings when they are being hit with 4 season weathers ranging from extra cold to super hot.
I also found the same in the burbs. There are parts of burbs that look so dumpy. Some part of Lansdale is so unbearable. But there is also some parts of burbs, in which the house owners really take care of their houses like on Roberts Ave of Glenside and King of Prussia.

The second being the amount of lights received. Some buildings could look so unattractive during winter but when Spring comes, they look more vibrant. (It is that or I actually got S A D during winter time that actually cloud my judgement).
I agree a lot of areas of Philadelphia dont look that great, but I would not consider categorize it as "most"

And certainly not in the suburbs. I have been to pretty much every town and borough in the 4 counties surrounding philly and New Castle County and MOST of the suburbs I think are very beautiful and well kept whether they are mansions of small cape cods. There are only a select few that are bad or eh. I would think you coming from Miami would find the northern suburbs to be much more established classical, and classier. There area a lot of areas in Miami and surroundingthat are very tacky and run down.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:44 AM

225 posts, read 394,824 times
From a suburbanites point of view, would this be a rough area?

Short answer: Yes.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:06 PM
LHM

204 posts, read 412,885 times
Quote:
It is common sense. I grew up living first in Aston, then Middletown, then Newtown Square. I know many people from that area as well as Malvern, Glen Mills, Thornbury, etc. Many people have a chip on their shoulder and would most definately consider that area dumpy, whether it really is or isnt. Its upscale suburban mentality, which is becoming overwhelming in much of Chester, Bucks, and Delaware counties. Not as much in Montgomery outside of Lower Merion and surrounding.
You said "Chester, Bucks, then Delaware counties feature the most sheltered suburbanites". But you failed to back that up with any data, just saying that you know some people in a few areas doesn't really count.

But how about this new claim... any data to back this one up?

Quote:
Its upscale suburban mentality, which is becoming overwhelming in much of Chester, Bucks, and Delaware counties. Not as much in Montgomery outside of Lower Merion and surrounding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia