U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 01:13 PM

11,942 posts, read 10,817,344 times

Advertisements

When I worked at Prudential in Dresher there were a few of my coworkers that lived in Fishtown and South Philly. The commute is awful but probably not as bad as some are saying because you are going against traffic.
They would take the reverse commute on I95 N and cut across the Northeast into Montco. It's probably 45+min but honestly not all that much better from Manayunk. (I used to commute from East Mt Airy which is a little bit closer than Manayunk to Dresher and it was 25+ min.) I could never do that type of daily commute again but I could also never live anywhere with great proximity to Horsham. Quite a conundrum hah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 11:11 PM

4 posts, read 5,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaDragon View Post
As far as I know, all three of those neighborhoods (Manayunk, NoLibs, Art Museum) are about the same as far as safety, with Manayunk probably even safer. You can probably do most things and go out at night and walk around, just be mindful of what you're doing. Most things happen when people aren't paying attention. Manayunk is still very urban, with varying housing stock. There are no skyscrapers, but there aren't any in your other neighborhoods either. It probably would feel a little more "suburban" since you're off in another corner of the city away from Center City but it's definitely not Horsham if that's what you're trying to avoid.

The main reason I suggested Manayunk is because of the commute. As someone who lives in Horsham & commutes to the city, there is no easy way to get there from here. 76 is backed up both ways all the time unless you're driving at 3am (in which case, it's just heavy volume ). 95 always has construction and gets a decent amount of traffic too. Then you have to take 276 which can get backed up. Driving up 611 would drive me crazy with all the stoplights. GoogleMaps gives you the time without traffic which, unless you're working the graveyard shift, you're always going to hit. It's easily going to take you 75-90 minutes one way during rush hour.

I hope this helps. I don't meant to discourage you if you're dead-set on moving closer to center city, I just want to make you aware of the commute if that might be an issue for you. Otherwise, best of luck in your search!
ugh, thanks for the inconvenient truth. People have hinted to me that it can get really bad, but I assumed they just weren't used to commuting long distances. I'm moving from a suburban area with a 30 minute commute, so I'm going in thinking that any commute will be better than living in the suburbs.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:19 PM

4,177 posts, read 9,638,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudicantfail View Post
ugh, thanks for the inconvenient truth. People have hinted to me that it can get really bad, but I assumed they just weren't used to commuting long distances. I'm moving from a suburban area with a 30 minute commute, so I'm going in thinking that any commute will be better than living in the suburbs.
Living in the suburb and having to go into the city for social occasion is optional. Living in the city and dealing with parking and commute to the suburb for work is every day. It will get old quick. Don't forget you will be paying extra city wage tax in the benfit of living in Philadelphia.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:30 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,695,004 times
There is no short commute solution. If you want to live in center city you'll have to get a job in the city. It's not at a NYC level, but there is a kind of if you can make it here you can make it anywhere.

Suburban jobs are a dime a dozen especially if you are indifferent to which suburb you live in. Commuting in and out of the city is what the regional rail is for, if you are willing to leave your car at the station nearest to your suburban job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia