U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:11 PM

4 posts, read 5,796 times

Advertisements

I'm about to move to Philadelphia and will be commuting to Horsham for work. I've been told that Northern Liberties, Old City, and the Art Museum areas would be good options given my commute. I'm finding that rental prices in these areas are a bit out of my price range (looking to spend around $1000/month) and I'm worried I won't have anywhere to park my car. I've heard that things start to get sketchy after Girard Ave. Is this true? I'm going to spend two days in Philly checking out housing before I move. I'm looking things up on Google maps right now, but I don't want to waste time driving to see rentals that look good on Craigslist but are in really crappy areas. I'd like to live in an area where I can easily walk to public transit, stay out late in Center City, and get back safely. I'm a female in my late twenties. Any suggestions?

How bad would my commute be if I lived in Center City or north of Center City close to Broad St?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 11:56 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,275,770 times
You might do to add Queen Village and Bella Vista onto that list. They're in South Philly adjacent to Center City as well, have great amenities and night life themselves, and don't border on sketchy areas like those north of Center City.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:21 AM

149 posts, read 272,893 times
Have you checked out Manayunk? It's MUCH closer to Horsham than any of the neighborhoods you mentioned and still has a lot going on there for things to do. Much safer than North Phila. Yes, it's not in Center City and it definitely skews to a younger, just-out-of-college crowd (if that's not what you're looking for) but the commute would be easier. There's no easy way to get from NoLibs/Art Museum to Horsham.

That said, I have no idea about rental prices. Good luck though.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:30 AM

221 posts, read 320,435 times
Just to warn you, the commute from Center City to Horsham can be pretty terrible. I work with a couple people who do this and they come into the office for odd hours to avoid hitting the height of the traffic. Manayunk and Roxborough are definitely more convenient options to that part of Montgomery County. Manayunk is about a 25 minute train ride ride from Center City.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:33 AM
LHM

204 posts, read 356,483 times
terrible commute. have you checked out ambler? It's certainly not center city Philadelphia, but there is some night life.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:27 AM

4 posts, read 5,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaDragon View Post
Have you checked out Manayunk? It's MUCH closer to Horsham than any of the neighborhoods you mentioned and still has a lot going on there for things to do. Much safer than North Phila. Yes, it's not in Center City and it definitely skews to a younger, just-out-of-college crowd (if that's not what you're looking for) but the commute would be easier. There's no easy way to get from NoLibs/Art Museum to Horsham.
I've heard Manayunk is pretty suburban and I'm looking for more of a city feel. Is there a lot of diversity in Manayunk? I've looked at the Center City commute times on google maps, and the longest time I've seen is 45 minutes. Does it get worse than that?

I'm still not exactly sure how safe Northern Liberties and Art Museum are. How dangerous is is to walk around at night in these areas? What about the area between Vine St and Spring Garden St.?

Old 08-06-2013, 09:34 AM

3,260 posts, read 4,876,969 times
I don't think Manayunk is very suburban at all. IMO if you want a much more "big city" feel than that, and still be in Philly, you basically need to be in Center City and deal with the commute. Or get a different job, of course. You're going to have to compromise someplace.

I'd say go make that drive from Horsham to CC at rush hour, and then go spend some time in Manayunk, and make your own decision.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:37 AM

180 posts, read 506,910 times
Take the regional rail from Center City to Manayunk when you visit. You'll see some North Philly neighborhoods without being focussed on driving, and then you'll see Manayunk too. I just visited a month ago since I'm moving into the city as well, and didn't find Manayunk suburban at all. Then again, it's probably relative ... the current city where I live is more sprawled, and "suburban" neighborhoods like Mt Airy are definitely more urban than the suburbs here.

Most of the housing stock there is similar to Fairmount or Northern Liberties (row houses) along with a main street of dense commercial spaces (shopping, restaurants, etc). Manayunk has not been renovated to the extent of Fairmount, so I'd expect older features in housing, like appliances and things. You'd have to take a train or drive into Center City, but that'd be a compromise to a better commute. In Manayunk itself, it'd be pretty easy to have a carless lifestyle.

I saw rush hour traffic on 76, and the highway was a deadlocked standstill. A 45 minute commute in normal traffic (i.e. from Google Maps) seems like it could easily be 30 min more.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:42 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,457,455 times
How about the Willow Grove Area?

My brother lives down there and live a few blocks from Elkins Park Septa Station... easy access to the city and getting back home... relatively safe area too.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:58 PM

149 posts, read 272,893 times
As far as I know, all three of those neighborhoods (Manayunk, NoLibs, Art Museum) are about the same as far as safety, with Manayunk probably even safer. You can probably do most things and go out at night and walk around, just be mindful of what you're doing. Most things happen when people aren't paying attention. Manayunk is still very urban, with varying housing stock. There are no skyscrapers, but there aren't any in your other neighborhoods either. It probably would feel a little more "suburban" since you're off in another corner of the city away from Center City but it's definitely not Horsham if that's what you're trying to avoid.

The main reason I suggested Manayunk is because of the commute. As someone who lives in Horsham & commutes to the city, there is no easy way to get there from here. 76 is backed up both ways all the time unless you're driving at 3am (in which case, it's just heavy volume ). 95 always has construction and gets a decent amount of traffic too. Then you have to take 276 which can get backed up. Driving up 611 would drive me crazy with all the stoplights. GoogleMaps gives you the time without traffic which, unless you're working the graveyard shift, you're always going to hit. It's easily going to take you 75-90 minutes one way during rush hour.

I hope this helps. I don't meant to discourage you if you're dead-set on moving closer to center city, I just want to make you aware of the commute if that might be an issue for you. Otherwise, best of luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia