U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 12:10 AM

22,632 posts, read 12,789,064 times

Advertisements

^^^^^

Beautiful photos.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 05:11 AM

268 posts, read 314,112 times
Quote:
Someone needs to speak those names, to read the church register, and
wonder what those folks were like.

Actually, I'm of quite the opposite mind concerning myself. I find a lot of comfort in knowing that once I'm gone, and the people a generation behind me are gone, I will truly cease to be. I don't want anything of myself left behind.

Oreamnos - those are stunning photos, thanks for sharing!

Old 08-14-2013, 07:12 AM

18 posts, read 29,374 times
Thanks, does anyone know why the photos get cut off ? It seems like they changed the layout or something a few weeks ago

Old 09-05-2013, 11:35 AM

634 posts, read 2,875,102 times
What an interesting thread to run into. My father was the superintendent, living on property at the Woodlands during the mid-late 70's. Several family members had spent a lot of time there during that time. My father said the property was haunted and that Benedict Arnold met his wife in the ballroom. I'm not sure if the Arnold story is true but I do think it is haunted!

Old 09-05-2013, 11:50 AM

7,780 posts, read 18,921,816 times
speaking of which. My old hood had a famous intersection where all four sides were separate cemeteries. Was told its the only place in the US like it.

Frankford and Cheltenham ave.

https://foursquare.com/v/frankford-a...b0af2e681c24db

Old 09-15-2013, 02:20 PM

Here's a photo from our visit last week:
Attached Thumbnails
The Philadelphia Cemetery Thread-028.jpg  

Old 09-15-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryOn View Post
Here's a photo from our visit last week:
A night time view of a burial ground ... very interesting!

Is that Mikve Israel? If so, that is the final resting place of two great Philadelphians: Haym Solomon ( a financier of the American Revolution) and the beautiful Rebecca Gratz (a humanitarian who was considered a great beauty in her day and there is evidence she was the inspiration for the character "Rebecca" in Sir Walter Scott's novel "Ivanhoe.")

Old 09-15-2013, 09:24 PM

10 posts, read 20,039 times
My buddy and I just checked out Mt. Moriah the other day and it is pretty awesome. I mean a lot of it is in disarray but the day we went there were people making an effort to trim the growth on some parts of the cemetery. The whole thing is creepy but awesome at the same time. There are some clearly defined pathways through the growth to walk on but we didn't check out the whole place because it seems to go on forever and you're not sure where to go. Either way, I highly recommend it. Parking was an issue though, we had to park on a residential street nearby and it's not the best neighborhood, but I'm sure for the most part you'll be ok.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Is that Mikve Israel?
Yes. We were walking back from a ghost tour (Grim Philly's "Sex, Vampires, and Ghosts") and happened to see it.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:08 PM

Default A great cemetery in Fishtown

I would also recommend a visit to a small but very interesting cemetery in Fishtown / Kensington ... variously called the Palmer Street Burial Ground or the Old Palmer Burial Ground. This cemetery is bordered by modest brick row houses on all sides and I was told that for years if a family lived in the neighborhood they were entitled to burial space free of charge.

Being in an industrial, working class area you will see no beautiful mausoleums here, no statuary or lofty obelisks. In fact some of the grave markers are home made wood boards. There is something poignant and charming about the place.

If anyone has information on Palmer Street Burial Ground, please let us know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia