U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:30 PM

22,632 posts, read 12,789,064 times

Advertisements

Are there any other people out there who like to wander around Philly's cemeteries?

The two most famous ones are Laurel Hill Cemetery (founded 1836) and The Woodlands Cemetery (1840) ... both beautiful and historic places. Laurel Hill is especially nice if you admire mausoleum architecture. Laurel Hill is the final resting places of many notable Philadelphians from Civil War General George Gordon Meade to Harry Kallas, whose gravesite includes a pair of authentic stadium seats from Veterans Stadium. The Woodlands boasts the tallest obelisk in a cemetery in the US (over 100 feet tall - over the tomb of dentist Thomas W. Evans). It is also the final resting place of artist Thomas Eakins.

There are others as well. There are the 18th and early 19th grave yards in Center City such as Christ Church Burial Ground (Ben Franklin!). Others include Pine Street Burial Ground in Society Hill, and Mikve Israel on Spruce Street near Pennsylvania Hospital.

It could be argued that there is no sadder and nor a more neglected cemetery in the whole country than the infamous Mount Moriah in South West Philly near Cobbs Creek. To think that Betsy Ross was once interred there.

A favorite of mine in the so-called "Palmer Street Burial Ground" in Fishtown. Here you can see home made grave markers! Apparently if you lived in the neighborhood you would qualify for a free plot ... something that was greatly appreciated by some of the poorer residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 08:08 AM

27,267 posts, read 25,865,265 times
--my beating Heart
Bounds with exulting Motion

I love a good cemetery and Philadelphia has some beauties. I haven't seen many of them but wander vicariously through Ed Snyder.

The Cemetery Traveler - by Ed Snyder

Old 08-07-2013, 09:09 PM

A lot of people - both natives and tourists alike - have discovered that Laurel Hill Cemetery is a great - free! - attraction. Not only is there the beautiful statuary and mausoleum architecture, but the views over the Schuykill River are gorgeous.

Overlooked is West Laurel Hill Cemetery (not to be confused with Laurel Hill Cemetery in Philly) in Bala Cynwyd on the other side of the river. Although not as historic, and without some of the famous people buried there, it is still extremely beautiful and there are lots of impressive monuments to be seen.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:56 AM

268 posts, read 314,112 times
Wife and I love cemeteries and we always include visits to a few on any trip, if possible. In Philly, we've been to Christ Church, Pine Street, and Laurel Hill. Sounds like we need to add Mount Moriah when we visit in September. Nothing beats a good, overgrown graveyard.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryOn View Post
Wife and I love cemeteries and we always include visits to a few on any trip, if possible. In Philly, we've been to Christ Church, Pine Street, and Laurel Hill. Sounds like we need to add Mount Moriah when we visit in September. Nothing beats a good, overgrown graveyard.
Rather visiting Mount Moriah, which they attempt to keep closed because of illegal dumping and also which can be scary because of illegal activity going on in there in broad daylight (I know from experience!), may I suggest a trip to The Woodlands instead?

The Woodlands Cemetery occupies the old Hamilton family estate and you can see the grand manor house which was built in 1789 and some architectural historians consider it the very finest example of a Federal Style mansion in the country (the cemetery offices are located in there now.) As I stated before the tallest and most impressive obelisk monument in any North American cemetery is here ... over the tomb of dentist Thomas W. Evans, who saved the life of the French Empress Eugenie in the 1870's. This cemetery is a Victorian "garden" or "rural" type cemetery and a lot of famous people are buried here - Civil War generals and admirals, the Mr. Campbell who founded Campbell's Soup Company, major American painters like Rembrandt Peale and Thomas Eakins, Dr. Gross of Eakin's Gross Clinic, the uber-wealthy Drexel family who founded Drexel University, etc. It is just about 2 or 3 blocks south west of the University of Pennsylvania campus, and it across the street from the 40th Street Portal at Baltimore Avenue which the trolley lines 11, 13, 34, and 36 pass through.

The historic Woodlands Cemetery:

Old 08-08-2013, 02:57 PM

9,072 posts, read 16,890,636 times
St. Peters has a nice courtyard and burial ground

During one of my parents visits when I was in college we were out doing tourist things and stopped to admire the church - one of the staff there noticed us fairly quickly and insisted that we come in and take a look and took us around to the burial sites, etc.

Very knowledgeable and some great history - even if it's frequently overshadowed by it's older sibling Christ Church

I know they do tours on the weekend and I would recommend that ... although our mid-week impromptu tour was great

Old 08-09-2013, 05:34 AM

268 posts, read 314,112 times
Thanks for the heads-up on Moriah, Clark. I may still check it out, because my favorite cemeteries are the overgrown, disused ones. Maybe I'll just peek over the fence! Highgate in London - that's my idea of a good cemetery.

I'll also add Woodlands and I'll check out St. Peters as well. We're planning on moving to Philly in the next five years, so we have a lot of weekend trips planned between now and then.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:57 AM

27,267 posts, read 25,865,265 times
Mt. Moriah would probably be safe on cleanup day.

http://www.friendsofmountmoriahcemet...f-cobbs-creek/

Old 08-11-2013, 07:06 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,298,820 times
I find them distressing, but I am still drawn. They are a keen reminder that two generations after we are gone - three if you are lucky - it is as if we never lived. No one remembers us.

I visit the graves of my husband's family, as they are particularly uninterested in their forbears. Someone needs to speak those names, to read the church register, and wonder what those folks were like.

Regarding Philly graveyards - I visit Cedar Hill (the several sections) along the north side of Frankford/west side of Wissinoming. I've also been to a smaller burying ground, Holy Redeemer Cemetery, off of Aramingo. There are a few downtown that I admire, but feel less distressed with, as so many people read those tombstones and pay some kind of respects.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:17 AM

18 posts, read 29,374 times
I love wandering around Philadelphia's cemeterys. First group is Laurel Hill and then Mt moriah

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia