U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 12:37 PM

23 posts, read 20,758 times

Advertisements

Curious for those that have considered Baltimore Federal Hill to Center City Philadelphia, how do the two compare. I realize size wise they are different, but beyond that, how to the pros and con's stack up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 03:06 PM

512 posts, read 876,936 times
Federal Hill is a neighborhood outside of downtown Baltimore closer in relation to Society hill than with Center City (Philly's downtown)... just cant compare at all.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:31 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,486,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
Federal Hill is a neighborhood outside of downtown Baltimore closer in relation to Society hill than with Center City (Philly's downtown)... just cant compare at all.
agreed. these neighborhoods are simply too dissimilar for a comparison.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:58 PM

Yes that is true, Federal Hill is a specific neighborhood in Baltimore, as Society Hill would be to Center City. With that in mind, how does the Philly area compare with Baltimore in that prospective? Interested in hearing from those that have considered both and how or why you decided on one or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post

Old 08-09-2013, 07:36 AM

48 posts, read 57,305 times
While Federal Hill is an awesome neighborhood in Baltimore, I feel that it's hard to compare downtown Baltimore to downtown Philly. From the times I've visited Baltimore, while they have many great neighborhoods it seems that they are not as contiguous in relation to downtown as Philly's center city neighborhoods are. Federal Hill is separated from Fells Point and Canton by the harbor, and the Mt. Vernon neighborhood is separated from the others by the financial area. In Philly Fitler Square, Graduate Hospital, Bella Vista, Queen Village, Old City, Society Hill, Fairmount all are pretty much flow together which makes it a very walkable city.

Also, Center City is very residential compared to the downtown area in Baltimore, which adds to the density of downtown Philly. I may be offbase here, so if I am please someone correct me haha.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:12 AM

7,085 posts, read 8,214,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobhunting2013 View Post
Yes that is true, Federal Hill is a specific neighborhood in Baltimore, as Society Hill would be to Center City. With that in mind, how does the Philly area compare with Baltimore in that prospective? Interested in hearing from those that have considered both and how or why you decided on one or the other.
When we moved north from Houston, we considered both cities. One of the more important factors we were weighing was the ability to live a relatively car-free lifestyle. On our first trip to scout out both cities, we were prepared to like Baltimore more, given the beautiful Inner Harbor setting. It turned out that Philly won out on all accounts.

First of all, Philly is simply a larger and more vibrant city - by far. The level of culture, entertainment, dining, etc. is on a higher tier than Baltimore. But the big decider for us was just the layout of the Baltimore - it is disjointed. Start with Federal Hill. Nice, but contained area. Downtown itself is rather small and eerily quiet in the evenings, though the Inner Harbor is quite nice (for tourists). Head north a distance through some unpopulated stretches to get to Mt Vernon, the cultural quarter where the performing arts venues and museums are located. From downtown to Harbor East, there are blocks of empty lots before you get to Fells Point. Canton, another interesting neighborhood, is yet further afield and separated by yet more dark and vacated blocks. And none of this is connected by good PT. Bottom line - we found it would be inconvenient to live there without a car.

Compare this to Center City - two compact square miles of solid development and activity. We can step out our front door and have access to an endless variety of restaurants, attend the theatre and other performing arts, visit museums, buy our groceries, see our doctors and dentists - you get the picture, I'm sure. In addition, when walking, the streets are full of people passing by shop windows and charming, centuries old architecture. Philly just felt right to us.

If we had lived in Baltimore, we would have chosen Federal Hill. It is a nice quaint neighborhood. I can see the comparison to Society Hill, though for me, it lacks the toniness of Society Hill - better to call it Baltimore's version of SH. This is not intended as a slam on FH - it just doesn't have the history and architecture of SH. One thing in Baltimore's favor if you choose to live there is that real estate is markedly cheaper there compared to Philly. Be sure and look at property taxes however - they can be quite high in Baltimore.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:09 AM

225 posts, read 327,429 times
Excellent post. My husband and I, Philly residents, are frequent visitors to B-More and like it so much that we briefly considered moving there. After doing an assessment of both cities we have decided to stay put. Your assessment is dead on. It is exactly what we found.

While my husband and I do not live in CC we have easy access to downtown and B-More as well as the burbs. You can't beat all that Philly has to offer which is a lot. We are here for good and see Philly as the perfect place for us to base as we travel the world. It is just so easy to do from here.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:39 AM

Great feedback....thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
When we moved north from Houston, we considered both cities. One of the more important factors we were weighing was the ability to live a relatively car-free lifestyle. On our first trip to scout out both cities, we were prepared to like Baltimore more, given the beautiful Inner Harbor setting. It turned out that Philly won out on all accounts.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:09 PM

5,292 posts, read 5,843,522 times
Being from Baltimore, I prefer Philly's Center City.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:20 PM

5,292 posts, read 5,843,522 times
"First of all, Philly is simply a larger and more vibrant city - by far. The level of culture, entertainment, dining, etc. is on a higher tier than Baltimore. But the big decider for us was just the layout of the Baltimore - it is disjointed. Start with Federal Hill. Nice, but contained area. Downtown itself is rather small and eerily quiet in the evenings, though the Inner Harbor is quite nice (for tourists). Head north a distance through some unpopulated stretches to get to Mt Vernon, the cultural quarter where the performing arts venues and museums are located. From downtown to Harbor East, there are blocks of empty lots before you get to Fells Point. Canton, another interesting neighborhood, is yet further afield and separated by yet more dark and vacated blocks. And none of this is connected by good PT. Bottom line - we found it would be inconvenient to live there without a car."

*So True!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or