U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2013, 08:07 AM
 
Location: back in Philadelphia!
3,260 posts, read 4,877,400 times
Reputation: 2051

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
Maybe for now, but (from the article)...

"Because of a long-term deficit in the underfunded pension plan, district contributions to the Public School Employees Retirement System will rise from 12.36 percent to 16.93 percent next year and 21.31 percent the following year."

Your local school district is now paying 12.36% of their tax income to fund retirement benefits (PSERS). In two years they'll be paying 21.31% of their tax income to PSERS. The ability to "get good results" will be increasingly more difficult.
That's almost exactly what I was about to reply.

They're having to raise taxes, and at the same time are cutting back on staff and programs. Not things that bode well for future results. And it definitely illustrates that education isn't just a "big city" problem, nor one that you an just blame on demographics (as some posters would like to do).

Last edited by rotodome; 08-09-2013 at 08:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2013, 08:56 AM
 
177 posts, read 306,228 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
At least most of those districts get good results. So there's actually real value attached to the taxes- unlike in the city.
Because those places are not old enough to have dealt with those problems.... yet. Those "results" are because they are receiving money that they did not receive prior to the post-war era, because they weren't all that big. Those funds would otherwise have gone to Philadelphia's and other older districts. Eventually, you need to fix your infrastructure, pay more maintenance, deal with not having every single student come from a comfortable background. Those places are not prepared to do that. They've isolated themselves from the city and from everywhere else they thumb their nose at, and they somehow think they haven't dealt with those problems simply because they're "better" when in reality those problems are starting to happen in their little utopia and they don't know how to deal with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2013, 10:19 AM
 
154 posts, read 278,215 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1oozne View Post
Because those places are not old enough to have dealt with those problems.... yet. Those "results" are because they are receiving money that they did not receive prior to the post-war era, because they weren't all that big. Those funds would otherwise have gone to Philadelphia's and other older districts. Eventually, you need to fix your infrastructure, pay more maintenance, deal with not having every single student come from a comfortable background. Those places are not prepared to do that. They've isolated themselves from the city and from everywhere else they thumb their nose at, and they somehow think they haven't dealt with those problems simply because they're "better" when in reality those problems are starting to happen in their little utopia and they don't know how to deal with them.
No, not at all, not even a little bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2013, 10:25 AM
 
177 posts, read 306,228 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padugan View Post
No, not at all, not even a little bit.
Actually, that's exactly how it is. You having a problem with it is never going to make it any less true.

It's amazing how condescending and disrespectful certain types of people can be when they have a problem with what you say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2013, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,567 posts, read 2,663,137 times
Reputation: 1658
Not everybody wants to deal with social pathologies on a daily basis. I don't blame them, especially when their children are involved. I love the city, but if I had kids, I'd be outta here in a flash. I'd make it a point to live in one of those award-winning, blue ribbon districts, even if my family had to live in a small apartment above a hardware store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2013, 11:45 AM
 
177 posts, read 306,228 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Not everybody wants to deal with social pathologies on a daily basis. I don't blame them, especially when their children are involved. I love the city, but if I had kids, I'd be outta here in a flash. I'd make it a point to live in one of those award-winning, blue ribbon districts, even if my family had to live in a small apartment above a hardware store.
If we're talking about Rose Tree-Media or Wallingford-Swarthmore then definitely, but I could never deal with the Main Line districts, and the other districts in Delco, Montco, and Bucks County and South Jersey are nowhere near as good as they like to think they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2013, 10:17 AM
 
154 posts, read 278,215 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1oozne View Post
Actually, that's exactly how it is. You having a problem with it is never going to make it any less true.

It's amazing how condescending and disrespectful certain types of people can be when they have a problem with what you say.
um, no it isn't. Actually, it's the complete opposite. You're 100% incorrect. I don't have a problem with someone expressing an intelligent and somewhat factual opinion. But to make stuff up without anything to support it is a waste of time. It's clear from your posts on this thread and others that you love everything that makes this city a dump. Not only that, you celebrate it. Sorry, I have no tolerance for that line of thinking. And I will point it out every chance I get.

The suburbs of Philadelphia not only have some of the best schools in the state, but in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2013, 10:28 AM
 
8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Reputation: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirk View Post
One system is mostly black kids.
Well, one school system - I presume you mean, Philadelphia's - is made of up primarily lower-income-to-working-class households, the preponderance of which may be black. However, your analysis may be oversimplifying the matter IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2013, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Plymouth Meeting, PA.
4,525 posts, read 2,250,673 times
Reputation: 2171
agreed. I've been saying that all along. Next year this time they will be in the same boat with no money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
Then what about next year?

The funding system for the PSD is not sustainable. Something needs to be worked out that still puts the students first. I'd rather see massive pay cuts or a restructuring of how the district is run than maintain the current system and cut staff and programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2013, 06:54 AM
 
1,114 posts, read 1,966,926 times
Reputation: 420
Teachers unions and their Democratic lackies have destroyed the public education system in this country . . . and it's only going to get worse. But as long as teachers get paid $100k to work 9 months a year, pay none of their healthcare costs, and received a defined-benefit pension for 30 years after they stop working, who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top