U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 07:57 AM

3,260 posts, read 4,877,400 times

Advertisements

I'm a product of the Philadelphia public school system. And it worked for me. I went on to a good college, and went to a good graduate school which led to a productive career. But that was then, and this is now. I actually had books and pencils and counselors and teachers' aides at my schools.

Today I am a parent, and I actually want to move back to Philly. This situation is something that's making it much harder to justify. And I find it very strange that some people in this thread are actually defending the current state of the school system, what's happened to it over the past decade, and its current direction. It's not just about "students being prepared to learn". It takes resources too. Education in a societal responsibility. We all benefit from educating our kids.

And holding up "charters" as some sort of obvious panacea seems quite ungrounded, as charters are not all equal, and taken as a group, have not shown to produce better results than traditional public schools. They are still at the experimental stage. For the ones that do show good results, if neighborhood public schools were not around to act as catchbins for students that charters reject or expel, and they had to take everybody, then what?
A system that funnels portions of the scant resources that are being committed to public education into for-profit education management companies seems just as wrongheaded as any argument people want to make about unions and pensions. We need a real solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 08:02 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Again, depends on the kid ...

Old 08-21-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Not with 'regular ol white people' families.. Think about that..
Sorry to disillusion you, but a lot of white people move to Philly.
And some of them even stay when they have kids ... they can't all afford to move (or even want to) to the suburbs.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
Sorry to disillusion you, but a lot of white people move to Philly.
And some of them even stay when they have kids ... they can't all afford to move (or even want to) to the suburbs.
Sorry to butt in to a reply to Frank, but I'm not really sure what point that you're trying to prove here.

Is it that examples of past results are an argument for the current direction of public education? I'm not sure that flies.

Do you think that the rate of people moving to Philly over the past decade might be affected by what's going on in the schools right now? I do. Unless something changes.

Not that this in indicative of everybody, but I personally know multiple people with kids who love Philly, but are trying to move out of the city right now, because of the current schools crisis. Yes, they are lucky to be in a position to be able to do this (at great expense). But these are not people who are uninvolved in their kids' educations. These are the kids and parents you want in your public school system. And if these families were all that well-off they'd just be sending their kids to private schools.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:31 AM

2,856 posts, read 2,066,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
I know regular, ol' white people whose kids have done the same after graduating from public school. According to some on here (those with an agenda), it never happens.
They hide behind "I'm just trying to help people ..." When in reality, they're just trying to convince people to leave the city or never move here at all.
I got news for them - our population's increased.
I never meant to exclude others, but those ethnic groups I mentioned do very well in the public school system and make up a large percentage of those two particular schools I mention's population. It proves for those that want to learn, the public school system does not let them down.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I never meant to exclude others, but those ethnic groups I mentioned do very well in the public school system and make up a large percentage of those two particular schools I mention's population. It proves for those that want to learn, the public school system does not let them down.
But you are speaking as if past results are applicable to what's happening right now, or in the future of the public school system if something does not change. So I'm not convinced of why this proves anything.
Even good, motivated students need functional schools if they are to thrive. Right now, it IS letting them down.
And all kids need the opportunity to have access to a decent education (although I suppose that is technically just an opinion).

Old 08-21-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
But you are speaking as if past results are applicable to what's happening right now, or in the future of the public school system if something does not change. So I'm not convinced of why this proves anything.
Even good, motivated students need functional schools if they are to thrive. Right now, it IS letting them down.
And all kids need the opportunity to have access to a decent education (although I suppose that is technically just an opinion).
Personally if I were raising kids in the city, they would go to private school. They live out of the city and the X wife sends them to private school. But I see and hear about many coming from the system that do learn. My biggest beef with the Philly School district is their sports programs, but of course that has nothing to do with education.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Personally if I were raising kids in the city, they would go to private school. They live out of the city and the X wife sends them to private school. But I see and hear about many coming from the system that do learn. My biggest beef with the Philly School district is their sports programs, but of course that has nothing to do with education.
Not to belabor the point, but you are still referring to past results. No one is saying that public schools never work(ed). This thread is about what is happening to them literally right now. As in this school year.

And yes private schools are great if you can afford them. That's the option we are looking at. But if you have more than one or two kids, that option can become untenable, even if you are relatively well-off.

Last edited by rotodome; 08-21-2013 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-21-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Not to belabor the point, but you are still referring to past results. No one is saying that public schools never work(ed). This thread is about what is happening to them literally right now. As in this school year.

And yes private schools are great if you can afford them. That's the option we are looking at. But if you have more than one or two kids, that option can become untenable, even if you are relatively well-off.
Ok, to be honest I am not really up on it that much, other then they need money. But from where? How do you fix it?

Old 08-21-2013, 11:40 AM

Don't buy into that "We need $50,000,000 or we can't teach/learn!" crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or