U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-11-2013, 03:34 PM
 
95 posts, read 148,682 times
Reputation: 103

Advertisements

Quote:
Anyways, there's no reason for a Tech company to be in Center City, except I was told the reason is that the CEO wants a Philly address instead of some unknown suburb name.
Thats not true at all. Being in a lively downtown makes it much easier to recruit young, talented software engineers, and to participate in the broader startup/tech community. The RJmetrics folks have a blog post detailing the benefits of locating your tech startup in Philly here: Why Our Startup is Doubling Down on Philadelphia - Ecommerce Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2013, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Philly
156 posts, read 393,647 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasDarcy View Post
Thats not true at all. Being in a lively downtown makes it much easier to recruit young, talented software engineers, and to participate in the broader startup/tech community. The RJmetrics folks have a blog post detailing the benefits of locating your tech startup in Philly here: Why Our Startup is Doubling Down on Philadelphia - Ecommerce Blog
The two biggest tech names I can think of in Philly are Unisys and NextGen. They're both outside of city limits. I'd also like to point out the IT capital of the world is the Silicon Valley, which is almost entirely suburban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2013, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
2,377 posts, read 2,696,815 times
Reputation: 1492
Sevone has an office downtown but they filled it up almost instantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2013, 08:25 PM
 
364 posts, read 620,116 times
Reputation: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCPHL View Post
The two biggest tech names I can think of in Philly are Unisys and NextGen. They're both outside of city limits. I'd also like to point out the IT capital of the world is the Silicon Valley, which is almost entirely suburban.
There's a monumental schism between Unisys and the N3RD St crew. And really neither type of IT shop (free-flowing, young startups vs process-oriented mega-corps) is interested in the other's workforce. A Center City office is all about reaching 20- and 30-somethings while avoiding the suburban kakhi IT type. Despite how blunt this sounds, it's true.

e: the mutual fund company in the 202 corridor is probably one of the biggest Philly tech employers (by employee head count). It even runs its own data center. But it would never open a Center City office unless the CEO moved there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2013, 06:22 AM
 
Location: Plymouth Meeting, PA.
4,530 posts, read 2,253,164 times
Reputation: 2172
Much of the crime happens in the really bad neighborhoods like North Philly, and parts of the Northeast now. what are the taxes like in Seattle? Philly has a 4.5% wage tax, liquor tax, cigarette tax as well.
Do you drive? Car insurance is kind of high too. But if you have a good enough salary and don't drive it might be ok.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Actually when our boss wanted us to move to philly I told him no because it was known for crime. We moved to the suburbs and after we got to understand what philly was (instead of how it is portrayed) we moved downtown when the lease ended. Honestly I feel like I'm still in the deprogramming process and we've been in the area for a year and a half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2013, 06:23 AM
 
95 posts, read 148,682 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
There's a monumental schism between Unisys and the N3RD St crew. And really neither type of IT shop (free-flowing, young startups vs process-oriented mega-corps) is interested in the other's workforce. A Center City office is all about reaching 20- and 30-somethings while avoiding the suburban kakhi IT type. Despite how blunt this sounds, it's true.
This is certainly true. A good proxy to determine who is who is whether or not the person in question refers to themselves as an "IT professional".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 01:51 AM
 
177 posts, read 306,427 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCPHL View Post
I'd also like to point out the IT capital of the world is the Silicon Valley, which is almost entirely suburban.
And? What does that have to do with anything? That's a completely different metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Much of the crime happens in the really bad neighborhoods like North Philly, and parts of the Northeast now. what are the taxes like in Seattle? Philly has a 4.5% wage tax, liquor tax, cigarette tax as well.
Do you drive? Car insurance is kind of high too. But if you have a good enough salary and don't drive it might be ok.
The wage tax is actually 3.924% for residents and 3.495% for non-residents, and it should be lowering again in the near future.

I'd also say more crime happens in parts of West and Southwest than the Lower Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 05:32 AM
 
Location: Plymouth Meeting, PA.
4,530 posts, read 2,253,164 times
Reputation: 2172
when were the taxes lowered?


Quote:
Originally Posted by s1oozne View Post
And? What does that have to do with anything? That's a completely different metro.

The wage tax is actually 3.924% for residents and 3.495% for non-residents, and it should be lowering again in the near future.

I'd also say more crime happens in parts of West and Southwest than the Lower Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 06:26 AM
 
177 posts, read 306,427 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
when were the taxes lowered?
The last wage tax cut was before the Recession. They were supposed to originally keep lowering it bit by bit year after year but then Nutter had to freeze that when the economy hit the skids nationally. It's supposed to begin again next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2013, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Eastchester, Bronx, NY
1,085 posts, read 2,026,757 times
Reputation: 511
Pretty cool to hear about IT jobs popping up in Center City. Before I moved back to NY, I had the option to take a full-time software development job at a company based near Temple's Center City campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top