Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 01:06 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,774 times

Advertisements

Yeah guys I've pretty much decided on Silicon Valley. It's going to be tough, but I'm ready for it. Plus I think with this job I may get some exposure to NoSQL and Big Data, which I've been hungry to work with for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 06:23 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
That's completely wrong. There are very practical, but extremely important reasons, for companies to set-up shop in Center City -- and that's access to talent and infrastructure. You're not going to get anywhere near the same access to top-tier employees and transportation infrastructure as you are in the core of a major metro area. That's why Center City has become increasingly attractive -- not to mention many techies prefer a more urban living environment to the suburbs, since it's more exciting/stimulating. This is true in other urban areas, and it's no different in Philly.
I don't think that is prevalent in the Philly region. There is likely more top tier talent outside of Philly in the suburbs also, likely people who want to own single family homes and have kids.

Anyways, the preferred central point of the region, for an employer that might want to be in the center (which has shifted west), is likely Bala Cynwyd which doesn't have the high office rent rates or the local city income tax on wages.

Center City IT positions are rare. The IT positions of the region are there, around Philly though, from Wilmington to Malvern (on 202) to along the PA Turnpike towns from Malvern -> King of Prussia -> Conshy -> Ft. Washington -> Bucks County up to Princeton.

Last edited by avg12; 08-16-2013 at 06:34 PM..

Old 08-16-2013, 07:52 PM

4,513 posts, read 4,040,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
Yeah guys I've pretty much decided on Silicon Valley. It's going to be tough, but I'm ready for it. Plus I think with this job I may get some exposure to NoSQL and Big Data, which I've been hungry to work with for awhile.
You are branh0913?

Old 08-18-2013, 08:27 AM

177 posts, read 357,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
I don't think that is prevalent in the Philly region. There is likely more top tier talent outside of Philly in the suburbs also, likely people who want to own single family homes and have kids.

Anyways, the preferred central point of the region, for an employer that might want to be in the center (which has shifted west), is likely Bala Cynwyd which doesn't have the high office rent rates or the local city income tax on wages.

Center City IT positions are rare. The IT positions of the region are there, around Philly though, from Wilmington to Malvern (on 202) to along the PA Turnpike towns from Malvern -> King of Prussia -> Conshy -> Ft. Washington -> Bucks County up to Princeton.
I really highly doubt this.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:52 PM

95 posts, read 180,621 times
Ya, its not true. Look at where the most innovation is happening in the Philly tech scene, and its not at the big companies, its in the startups. Here is a list of recently funded/sold startups in the area: Founded in Philly Most are in and around center city, not the burbs. The most recent success was Invite Media, which sold to Google for $81 million in 2010. Their old center city office is now a small Philly outpost for Google: Philadelphia - Google Jobs

Old 08-18-2013, 05:14 PM

177 posts, read 357,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasDarcy View Post
Ya, its not true. Look at where the most innovation is happening in the Philly tech scene, and its not at the big companies, its in the startups. Here is a list of recently funded/sold startups in the area: Founded in Philly Most are in and around center city, not the burbs. The most recent success was Invite Media, which sold to Google for $81 million in 2010. Their old center city office is now a small Philly outpost for Google: Philadelphia - Google Jobs
That's really the problem in my opinion. I find it hard to have any respect for people or companies that take money from funding rounds in the city then the next minute are looking to relocate to the suburbs or to some other metro or even to sell their company to some larger corporation. Still, for all of those companies there's obviously still plenty who want to stay in the city and who have the integrity and backbone to resist those offers and to "make it" right here in Philadelphia, so obviously I can't paint them all with the same brush.

Either way, you're definitely right that the innovation doesn't happen at the corporations. They buy innovative companies that don't have as much money and then try to take credit for it.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:26 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
You are branh0913?
No of course not... I copied HIS post from another thread. That's why the title in BOLD says The OP has already made a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia