U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 07:33 PM

4,540 posts, read 5,380,659 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in Seattle, and I actually would prefer to stay here. Anyway, while irrelevant, I had a good contract in Seattle. But since I wanted to go full time, I took a contract to hire job which turned out to go bust. The company lost it's budget and I was let go about 3 weeks ago. I got on my grind, and started looking heavily. I eventually ended up with a job offer in Philly offered to me last week.

I know Philly has a very very high crime rate. I'm also in a situation where initially I'll be moving to Philly without a lot of money until I get my first pay check. My firm has offered to put me in a hotel for about a week until I get my first paycheck. There is also another layer of complication. I don't have the best rental history, as I was evicted in 2008 due to the economy going bust and getting laid off. I'm not sure if I would be able to qualify for an apartment. While I do believe I make enough money to get an apartment, I may not pass their credit check.

Currently I rent a room in Seattle. Seattle is a much slower city, and you can generally trust most people here. I know Philly is a much bigger and faster city. Also the crime is a bit off putting, as I've heard numerous incidents of random violence in Philly. I would prefer to avoid that.

So is Philly a "wrong turn" city? When I say that, I mean can I be I a really good neighborhood, make a wrong turn, and be in some violent neighborhood? Or are the bad areas more pocketed? How safe is their public transportation? I'll be relying heavily on that. Also can I get a place to rent for under $2000 a month. I've seen places advertised on the internet, but oftentimes when I call leasing offices the price is much higher than advertised on their site. I've heard people say Philly is very affordable if you make 6 figures. But I've heard others say Center City has Manhattan prices. Can anyone clarify?

This is more of a "what if scenario". I'm hoping some job prospect will materialize locally, I've been interviewing like crazy, and despite my skillset, I'm running into some very rigid hiring managers out here in Seattle. Philly seems to really want me there. Anyone cares to chime in. I would especially like to hear from IT professionals who live in Philly.

Last edited by branh0913; 08-08-2013 at 08:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 08:12 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,695,391 times
Me and my wife are in IT and live in center city. You're very lucky, Philly is awesome. With that salary you will be hands down living the life. In center city you you have a whole portion of an entire county between you and the bad areas.

Quite honestly major media loves to dramatize crime that happens in philadelphia county because of how nice downtown is. They love the technicality that they can still use the name philly even though it is bad area folk committing crime on bad area folk.

You should check out the photo thread, philly is cool as hell.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:21 PM

4,540 posts, read 5,380,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Me and my wife are in IT and live in center city. You're very lucky, Philly is awesome. With that salary you will be hands down living the life. In center city you you have a whole portion of an entire county between you and the bad areas.

Quite honestly major media loves to dramatize crime that happens in philadelphia county because of how nice downtown is. They love the technicality that they can still use the name philly even though it is bad area folk committing crime on bad area folk.

You should check out the photo thread, philly is cool as hell.

Yeah, I've seen some videos of Philly and it looks like a cool downtown area. I certainly wouldn't mind living in Philly for sure, but I have to admit the crime rate has me a little thrown off. But yes, I can admit sometimes crime rates are dramaticized. I was in Atlanta before moving to Seattle, and I always felt safe in Atlanta. However the buzz outside of Atlanta is that it has a very high crime rate and is a dangerous city. I'm like "really". Thanks for the info. I probably should have left my hourly rate out, but I felt I could be straight forward since I really want to let people know the income I'll be working with.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:25 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,695,391 times
Actually when our boss wanted us to move to philly I told him no because it was known for crime. We moved to the suburbs and after we got to understand what philly was (instead of how it is portrayed) we moved downtown when the lease ended. Honestly I feel like I'm still in the deprogramming process and we've been in the area for a year and a half.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:48 PM

364 posts, read 619,744 times
You won't have a problem. $2000 will get you a very nice one-bedroom in one of the posher high rises with a doorman, if that's your thing. It will also get you an entire renovated rowhome in South Philly, Bella Visa, Northern Liberties, or Fairmount.

You are lucky to be at an IT shop downtown. Most places are out in the suburban sprawl in Chester or Bucks counties.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:50 AM

71 posts, read 71,872 times
See my username

Anyways, there's no reason for a Tech company to be in Center City, except I was told the reason is that the CEO wants a Philly address instead of some unknown suburb name.

As for crime, I see young women jogging the streets, even at dusk time.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:10 PM

177 posts, read 306,228 times
The media loves to sensationalize everything but the vast majority of crime, especially violent crime, could easily be prevented. Aside from innocent bystanders, people don't usually get shot at for no reason.

Honestly, if you have common sense, street smarts, and don't run your mouth off or provoke people then the only thing you have to worry about is falling in with the wrong crowd. The vast majority of the violence and problems is experienced by people who grew up in Philly and either never left or left but didn't stop hanging around with the same people, and of course those who come into the city and get involved in illegal things. You're not going to be going into Strawberry Mansion or Hunting Park or Southwest Philly or something, and you don't have any friends who have a problem with somebody or any other things that lead to violence, so just be street smart and other than that don't worry about it.

Last edited by s1oozne; 08-09-2013 at 03:26 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 01:59 PM

4,744 posts, read 7,845,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITinCC View Post
Anyways, there's no reason for a Tech company to be in Center City, except I was told the reason is that the CEO wants a Philly address instead of some unknown suburb name.
That's completely wrong. There are very practical, but extremely important reasons, for companies to set-up shop in Center City -- and that's access to talent and infrastructure. You're not going to get anywhere near the same access to top-tier employees and transportation infrastructure as you are in the core of a major metro area. That's why Center City has become increasingly attractive -- not to mention many techies prefer a more urban living environment to the suburbs, since it's more exciting/stimulating. This is true in other urban areas, and it's no different in Philly.

As to the OP, coming from Seattle, I'm sure you'll be in for some adjustments. Yes, Philly is a much older, bigger, grittier, post-industrial city with more entrenched poverty and all of the issues that come a long with that (i.e., blight, violent crime, disinvestment, etc.).

However, you'll find that Center City is generally very livable, safe and vibrant -- and very enjoyable on a six-figure salary. In other words -- and as other posters have noted -- the areas of Philly that are what cause the city to have a "bad wrap" are ares where you'd have no business being anyway.

You'll find the reality of the city is much more nuanced than the crime-obsessed and sensationalizing media will have you believe. Random crime is also FAR from common, as the vast majority of violence is perpetrated by acquaintainces, within domestic disputes or is drug-related.

Good luck on whatever you decide, but make sure your decision is based on sound evidence and "on the ground," first-hand experience.

Last edited by Duderino; 08-11-2013 at 02:10 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 03:28 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,297,252 times
More than half of the violent crime results from arguments, and nearly all of that is in bad neighborhoods. You'll be fine in Center City! As others said, 2000 goes a long way. Get yourself a nice building in the best part of town. I don't think you'll have a problem with your past history. Welcome to Philadelphia and good luck!

Old 08-11-2013, 03:28 PM

95 posts, read 148,572 times
Yep -- There is a vibrant tech scene in Center City, with regular events, meetups, hackathons, etc. You can get yourself looped in by poking around these links:

Home » Technical.ly Philly
Founded in Philly
Philly Tech Meetup (Philadelphia, PA) - Meetup
Welcome to N3rd Street | Alex Hillman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia