U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:47 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,281,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1oozne View Post
Obviously but I wasn't disputing that. I was saying that rather than objectively portraying somewhere and the people there, they were reinforcing a theme, typical lazy "journalism". Rather than get into the whole complex situation, they just took the easy way out and did a "this place is awful and the people are meant to be stared at and looked down upon" piece.
I see nothing wrong with that, they were simply focusing on one strong aspect of life there. We all know about the lack of jobs, the lack of fathers, blah, blah, blah ... Every story about every place doesn't have to be "complex" and labeled "lazy."
And I don't believe the journalists were looking down or encouraging people to stare at anybody.
If somebody is doing a story about a high school football-crazed town, should they also give a mention to the local stoners just to be "complex?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 09:15 PM

177 posts, read 306,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
I see nothing wrong with that, they were simply focusing on one strong aspect of life there. We all know about the lack of jobs, the lack of fathers, blah, blah, blah ... Every story about every place doesn't have to be "complex" and labeled "lazy."
And I don't believe the journalists were looking down or encouraging people to stare at anybody.
If somebody is doing a story about a high school football-crazed town, should they also give a mention to the local stoners just to be "complex?"
Not even remotely the same thing.

Journalists have an obligation to report the entire complex truth of any subject. That's journalism 101, ethics 101 type of stuff. These "journalists" don't do that. Instead they write a mix of travel guides for other people from the suburbs and "I'm going to act like I'm a part of this area and try to be edgy" pieces. Everything they write is pushing a theme, and that's not journalism.

It's not about being complex. It's about telling the whole story.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:25 AM

18 posts, read 29,381 times
I would take anything written on the Daily beast woth a grain of salt. Unless your adventurous you would want to be far away when the sun goes down.

Generally, the Ave is pretty sketchy. There is quite a bit of prostitution around Lehigh. As you move west the neighborhood tends to get worse and to the east things tend to get better.

Its a shame, this whole area has been the butt of jokes for generations. It seems like gentrification from Fishtown is slowly creeping north. I would like to think Kenzo would be PortFishIngton hipster mecca but this is atleast 10+ yeaars away.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Not even remotely the same thing.

Journalists have an obligation to report the entire complex truth of any subject. That's journalism 101, ethics 101 type of stuff. These "journalists" don't do that. Instead they write a mix of travel guides for other people from the suburbs and "I'm going to act like I'm a part of this area and try to be edgy" pieces. Everything they write is pushing a theme, and that's not journalism.

It's not about being complex. It's about telling the whole story.
Have you ever heard of "focus?"

Old 08-15-2013, 06:36 AM

177 posts, read 306,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
Have you ever heard of "focus?"
That really doesn't have anything to do with the piece the person wrote. Focus means focusing on one aspect, not ignoring all of the complexities of that one aspect. All of those "journalists" were pushing a theme.

I don't know why you keep arguing with me about this. It's no secret that there are very few real journalists these days.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:50 AM

469 posts, read 800,303 times
LOL! Some people lives are so sad, they have more then one profile on here.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:58 AM

5,674 posts, read 10,248,929 times
Often it is only one at a time though, as they get embarrassed and close an account or get banned before opening a new one.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
That really doesn't have anything to do with the piece the person wrote. Focus means focusing on one aspect, not ignoring all of the complexities of that one aspect. All of those "journalists" were pushing a theme.

I don't know why you keep arguing with me about this. It's no secret that there are very few real journalists these days.
Yes, he focused on one aspect.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:31 AM

7,780 posts, read 18,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin19119 View Post
LOL! Some people lives are so sad, they have more then one profile on here.

Its obvious huh?? lol

Old 08-16-2013, 08:39 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,298,067 times
I apparently haven't been around long enough to understand what is going on in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or