U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2013, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,166 posts, read 1,297,252 times
Reputation: 442

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by templeu View Post
If the wonderlic IQ test is any indication of intelligence (which a great deal of research would suggest it is), NFL players,on average, actually do have about average intelligence. The average Wonderlic score is 20, and the average Wonderlic score within the NFL population is also 20.

Wonderlic Test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well, that wouldn't be a surprise. The measure of IQ is done on a median for a reason. 50% of the population have an IQ somewhere between 90 and 109, with another 32% at the fringes of those numbers. It would be incredibly shocking if the NFL IQ didn't mimic the numbers of the general population. Statistics and population sampling work for a reason.

 
Old 08-10-2013, 01:12 PM
 
581 posts, read 1,243,376 times
Reputation: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Well, that wouldn't be a surprise. The measure of IQ is done on a median for a reason.
Except that according to wikipedia (which could be inaccurate), a score of 20 is the mean (not median), and this mean score is representative of both the larger population, and the NFL. That point could be moot, however, b/c usually with a large enough sample the mean and median are pretty much the same value.
 
Old 08-10-2013, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,166 posts, read 1,297,252 times
Reputation: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by templeu View Post
Except that according to wikipedia (which could be inaccurate), a score of 20 is the mean (not median), and this mean score is representative of both the larger population, and the NFL. That point could be moot, however, b/c usually with a large enough sample the mean and median are pretty much the same value.
Can you quote me in that entire article where it says that a score of 20 is the mean? I can't seem to find it. They even list the median for various professions. I don't see anywhere in that article that explicitly states that 20 is the mean. I see that they then say average for NFL players, but average is often used to describe either mean, median, or mode, and only when one explicitly says arithmetic mean do they mean the mean you're surely thinking of.

This is how IQ is calculated:

An intelligence quotient, or IQ, is a score derived from one of several standardized tests designed to assess intelligence. The abbreviation "IQ" comes from the German term Intelligenz-Quotient, originally coined by psychologist William Stern. When current IQ tests are developed, the median raw score of the norming sample is defined as IQ 100 and scores each standard deviation (SD) up or down are defined as 15 IQ points greater or less, although this was not always so historically.[1] By this definition, approximately 95 percent of the population scores an IQ between 70 and 130, which is within two standard deviations of the median.
 
Old 08-10-2013, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
good point. They do have to read a book and memorize it's contents. I remember how tough that was when i had to do my third grade book report.

listen there are plenty of smart people playing football, but let's be clear though, intelligence is absolutely not a prerequisite to play football and there are plenty of people dumb as bricks playing football. having intelligence is a skill like any other in sports, the truly greatest are often very sharp as it's hard to reach the pinnacle without it. By the same token some of the absolute worst players can also be smart, using their great intelligence to maximize their potential despite a lack of true physical talent. There are definitely plenty of players however who get by on physical gifts alone and are true morons. Both Hugh Douglas and especially Riley Cooper have proven that they are certainly idiots.
My point was: He shouldn't generalize people by their occupation. Your ignorance is appalling.
RE: Riley Cooper and Hugh Douglas - So, because of a slip of the tongue, they're "idiots"? You don't know that. You're another one (who's supposed to be open-minded) that's quick to label people, aren't you?
 
Old 08-10-2013, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,166 posts, read 1,297,252 times
Reputation: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
My point was: He shouldn't generalize people by their occupation. Your ignorance is appalling.
Yes, what a generalization of me to say that professional football players spend more time focusing on football than any other activity. Oh wait...
 
Old 08-10-2013, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Yes, what a generalization of me to say that professional football players spend more time focusing on football than any other activity. Oh wait...
No, get it right. You said "you wouldn't expect them to be the most intelligent or culturally sophisticated."
That was your cute way of calling them stupid barbarians.
 
Old 08-10-2013, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,166 posts, read 1,297,252 times
Reputation: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
No, get it right. You said "you wouldn't expect them to be the most intelligent or culturally sophisticated."
That was your cute way of calling them stupid barbarians.
No, it wasn't. I elucidated on the issue in my other posts. Care to read them before you make accusations that are assumptions?

For the record, I would say the same thing about baseball players, and I was a top baseball prospect in my state at one point. I deferred from spending my time on baseball to concentrate on other activities. It is as simple as that. I'm certainly not arguing capacity here.
 
Old 08-10-2013, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
No, it wasn't. I elucidated on the issue in my other posts. Care to read them before you make accusations that are assumptions?

For the record, I would say the same thing about baseball players, and I was a top baseball prospect in my state at one point. I deferred from spending my time on baseball to other activities. It is as simple as that. I'm certainly not arguing capacity here.
Don't lie. You get your little shots in whenever you can, then you try to come across as the "intellectually nice" guy. You're anything but.
 
Old 08-10-2013, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,166 posts, read 1,297,252 times
Reputation: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
Don't lie. You get your little shots in whenever you can, then you try to come across as the "nice" guy. You're anything but.
Okay, Larry. You already have your mind made up, so I'm aware it would be a waste of time to attempt to convince you otherwise. I think I'll go have a cup of tea now.
 
Old 08-10-2013, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista
2,472 posts, read 3,486,213 times
Reputation: 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
My point was: He shouldn't generalize people by their occupation. Your ignorance is appalling.
that was your point perhaps, but you failed to make it, all you actually did was contend that football players should be generalized in another way. You said they should they are all smart because they have to read thick playbooks. That is just another generalization, just a positive one. It's also a very ill-informed generalization because if you measure intelligence by one's ability to memorize a playbook, you have an awfully generous definition of the word "intelligent"!

As I said, there are some smart and some dumb players in the nfl, I was the only one arguing that the intelligence of people in the NFL shouldn't be generalized.

cuppa tea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top