U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:55 AM

6 posts, read 24,946 times

Advertisements

thanks!!
i'll definitely check out the other areas you mentioned on my visit this january and that's great to hear your mom taught in the city schools for so long. thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 07:18 PM

17 posts, read 77,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskatrine View Post
i understand its not the greatest place to teach, but some form of change must be made. i consider myself a very good teacher... and city schools [esp philly] seem to be in dire need of good teachers, bu good teachers only want to teach in the suburbs. somebody [and not just a crappy teacher who cant find work anywhere else] has to be be brave enough to try and make a difference. this is another reason i was interested in philly.

I taught across the river from Philly in the worst neighborhood in Camden, NJ. I also taught Emotionally Disturbed teenagers there, and in the Union City/Jersey City area (where I grew up). Most of the tough Philly schools are comparable to the Camden Public Schools. I'm not going to lie, it's a tough job and it's not for everyone. However, if you have teaching experience in an urban setting you should be alright. And, it is important to remember that the problems vary from school to school and neighborhood to neighborhood. I have plenty of friends who teach in the Philadelphia Public School District and love it. While others, who are very good teachers, hated it and left.

I loved living in Philly. I lived in the Fairmount section of Philly, and felt very safe. However, I did get held up at gun point in a Dunkin Dounuts on like 20th and Washington (somewhere around there, I truly don't remember. By the way, I was held up in a completely different neighborhood from where I lived.) Don't let the Morgan Quitno fool you( I believe nationally Philly was ranked the 29 most dangerous), Philly has some horrible neighborhoods . Parts of North Philly and West Philly rival some of the worst neighborhoods in the country. Center City, Olde City, Fairmount, Manayunk, Fishtown, Parts of South Philly and Northeast are fine. Philly has everything: history all around you, museums, plenty of bars, clubs, and lounges, restaurants that serve up every type of food imaginable, etc... However, like you said, you need to be alert and pay attention to your surroundings.

Hope this hastily written post helps. Good luck!

Old 11-15-2007, 09:17 PM

17 posts, read 77,948 times
I also would like to point out that these Morgan Quitno Group studies are very accurate, but somewhat misleading, especially when dealing with big cities such as Philadelphia. Take New York City for example. I grew up across the river from New York. I feel safe there. And, according to the Morgan Quitno Group statistics, New York City is one of the safest big cities in the country. However, because New York City, like Philadelphia,is a large economic center, it draws a larger professional class, which will typically bring the crime rate down. The opposite is true for small cities such as Camden, which have no real economic centers and draw very few professionals to live within their borders. Now, per capita, New York City is much safer to live in than Camden, NJ. However, certain sections of New York City are not safe, in fact might be more dangerous than Camden. East Brooklyn and Bedstuy for example.

The same is true for Philadelphia. Per capita, Philadelphia might have a similar crime rate to Rochester. However, because Philadelphia covers such a large area, and has such a large population (1.5 million people), the crime statistics can't really relay how dangerous certain neighborhoods within the city can be. Many neighborhoods in Philadelphia are wonderful. And, like I said in my previous post, there is much to do in the City of Brotherly Love. However, I think it is important to remember that the "bad" neighborhoods in Philly, are really "bad". I believe I read a statistic, and please correct me if I am wrong, that there has been over 10,000 shootings in Philadelphia since 2001. I'm not trying to scare you at all...Just trying to present a broad picture of this city. Like I said, I love Philadelphia. I spend most of my weekends in South Philly at my girlfriends, and lived in the Fairmount section. There is so much to do and see in Philly. And, I can honestly say, I've never felt "unsafe" in Philly. You just have to pay attention to where you are and you typically won't have any problems.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:47 PM

6 posts, read 24,946 times
Default thanks!!!

thanks for the last two very informative posts! philly is still on the top of my list and i'm very excited to come spend a little time there. rochester ny, though small, has extremely dangerous sections, which are usually easy to avoid. this, however, is where the smallness can be a problem, the very bad areas bleed into the better ones, and the dividers between and and good neighborhoods can be just one single street [such as, west of the street s nasty, east of is fine...] but i lived in a fine neighborhood near a "dividing" street and i saw cop cars driving up and down my street searching the bushes on more than a few occasions. my old neighbors [in the same building] there were also arrested for having a meth lab in their kitchen. i guess i just got worried because some of the posts on this forum made philly sound like an absolute hellhole. but i've gotten some more realistic responses here, and have talked to friends who live in the area. i'm sure its worse than rochester, but no longer does it sound like absolute hell. i'm really looking forward to visiting again, and i still want to teach there. thanks again!

Old 11-24-2007, 04:43 PM

4 posts, read 35,052 times
I agree with Tone509 if your looking for diversity go towards Northwest philly. I live in Mayfair in the NE. Irish, Italian, German, and Polish is about the extent of our diversity. And unless you live in the supper expensive areas downtown or in the far northeast there is always the element of crime. Mayfair is considered a blue collar good neighbor hood however me and 5 of my buddies were held up at gun point at our local playground about a year ago. Thank god one of my boys decided to be a hero and grab the gun to find it was a fake gun or I would have lost $20 and the thief would have missed out on a trip to the hospital. Stuff like that doesn't happen very often in the NE. All in all Philly is a great, exciting, metropolis to plant some roots, you just have to be careful and avoid the bad areas and the bad areas are pretty well docemented it's not like they sneak up on you.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:48 PM

21,916 posts, read 32,091,453 times
I too would recommend NW Philly if you're seeking diversity, though warn diversity comes at a price. Everyone thinks they want that until something bad happens to themselves or someone they know. You'll find Philadelphia is a diverse city and that you won't necessarily need to immerse yourself into a diverse neighborhood to experience that. My many years of living in an urban setting has taught me that when looking for a new place to live, see it in daylight, but also go back at 10:00 at night to see if you would feel comfortable walking home or parking your car. That said neighborhoods you might consider are Bella Vista, Italian Market or Queen Village. All three have a strong sense of "neighborhood" and people look out for one another. Also you'll meet more people like yourself which is important when moving to a city where you do not really know anyone. Best of luck to you!

Old 11-25-2007, 04:12 PM

641 posts, read 2,200,104 times
Philly is a good city to party in. But I dunno if that's what you're into, but I knew some teachers that were party animals back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or