Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:09 PM

640 posts, read 1,986,576 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm a new resident of Elkins Park and have been searching for a Walmart or Target that has a full grocery store within it (with a bakery, deli, fresh vegetables--the whole grocery store experience). I can't find any that have more than a few aisles of soups, chips, bread, etc.
Does anyone know why this is?

Are there any similar, affordable alternatives here to place like this?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 07:20 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
I can't find any that have more than a few aisles of soups, chips, bread, etc.
Does anyone know why this is?

Are there any similar, affordable alternatives here to place like this?
Thanks!
Jane you should try to track down a BJ's or Cosco.

Ive been to a few of the Super Walmarts in Ariz-NM-Fla they are nice to have. The Walmart invasion wasn't taken to lightly up here. This is an area(especially close to the city/ more urbanized areas like Elkins Park) that tries to stress unions,communites, and protect mom + pop stores. You wont find a Super Walmart up here unless its out in the sticks.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:43 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,585,480 times
There's a Trader Joe's at 933 Old York Road in Jenkintown. If you've never shopped there, TJ's becomes an addiction (a good addiction).

Old 11-13-2007, 12:07 AM

543 posts, read 1,900,056 times
Speaking of Target and Trader Joes ( I love both). We are relocating to KOP area. Not sure exactly where, either Main Line or Exton/West Chester. Anyway, I was wondering if there are any Targets or TJs close in those areas?

I don't really care about any Super Targets. I live in So Cal and we don't have hardly any of those here. I have seen them in FL. I think they may be in areas that are less populated with a lot of shopping options.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
Speaking of Target and Trader Joes ( I love both). We are relocating to KOP area. Not sure exactly where, either Main Line or Exton/West Chester. Anyway, I was wondering if there are any Targets or TJs close in those areas?

I don't really care about any Super Targets. I live in So Cal and we don't have hardly any of those here. I have seen them in FL. I think they may be in areas that are less populated with a lot of shopping options.
There is a TJ's in Ardmore which is the main line. There is a Target on Monument Road which is in Philly but close to the main line. The greatest store of them all is in Exton which is Wegman's.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:29 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Oh, there are more then the one in Ardmore! There are 6 Trader Joe's in the Philadelphia area if you count the one in Wilmington, but it's within walking distance of PA (okay, maybe a mile). They are in Ardmore, Jenkintown, Philadelphia, Media, Wayne and Wilmington. I confess that I've visited all except the Philadelphia one. If you've got a Wegmans, there is absolutely no need for grocery shopping in a Target or a Walmart.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Oh, there are more then the one in Ardmore! There are 6 Trader Joe's in the Philadelphia area if you count the one in Wilmington, but it's within walking distance of PA (okay, maybe a mile). They are in Ardmore, Jenkintown, Philadelphia, Media, Wayne and Wilmington. I confess that I've visited all except the Philadelphia one. If you've got a Wegmans, there is absolutely no need for grocery shopping in a Target or a Walmart.

I know there are more than the one in Ardmore. I was giving the main line location to the OP. I am a regular shopper in the center city location. There is also on in Moorestown, NJ.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:04 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
There's a Trader Joe's off 202 south of King of Prussia. It's much less crowded/chaotic than any of the other ones I've been to (Jenkintown, Ardmore).

Drat, I just let out my secret. LOL.

Does the Trader Joe's in Wilmington sell wine and beer? I need my Two Buck Chuck fix!

As for why Target and Wal-Mart don't have full service stores, here ... UNIONS. You can't relieve yourself without putting a nickel in the union's toilet around here.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Jane you should try to track down a BJ's or Cosco.

Ive been to a few of the Super Walmarts in Ariz-NM-Fla they are nice to have. The Walmart invasion wasn't taken to lightly up here. This is an area(especially close to the city/ more urbanized areas like Elkins Park) that tries to stress unions,communites, and protect mom + pop stores. You wont find a Super Walmart up here unless its out in the sticks.
Rainrock--thanks for the BJ's/Costco suggestions.
I figured there was a reason why I couldn't find the stores I've been looking for. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
There's a Trader Joe's at 933 Old York Road in Jenkintown. If you've never shopped there, TJ's becomes an addiction (a good addiction).
I saw the sign for the Trader Joe's, but haven'te ventured there yet. Is it a grocery store? Is it an upscale store or more like a typical grocery store (re: prices)?

What about the Whole Foods store? I've never been to one.

I'm finding so many new places to explore here, and loving it! It's great to be living so close to everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia