U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 09:39 AM

4 posts, read 2,645 times

Advertisements

i think a yard is having your cake and a -30min RUSH HOUR commute is eating it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 10:43 AM

581 posts, read 1,243,955 times
I think you could probably find what you're looking for in S. Jersey. You could likely find a house for $2k in places like Audubon, Oaklyn, Collingswood, or Haddon Township. Haddonfield and Haddon Heights are great areas - but I'm not sure if you'll find many house rentals for 2K. I am able to get to Temple in North Philly in 30 minutes (or less). I would imagine that you could get to Columbus BLVD in about that amount of time.

In Delco, you might look at Glenolden, Norwood, Folsom, Prospect Park, Morton, as these places are pretty close to I-95. On the whole, I think the close in NJ burbs are a bit nicer than these parts of Delco, however. But as others have said, you'd be stuck with bridge tolls ($5/ day) if you live in NJ and commute to Philly.

A few years back, I rented a 3 bed house, with a yard, in Broomall for 2K. The drive in could sometimes be a bit messy on 476. But once I hit 95, it was pretty smooth sailing. The drive back, however, is a whole different story. If I left in rush house, it could easily take 45 minutes to get home. But, if a house rental in a nice hood in PA is a priority, you could took a bit deeper into Delaware County at places like Broomall, Media, Springfield, Havertown, or Drexel Hill.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:22 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,740,351 times
Eventually the OP will have to decide which is more important. Maybe look at some South Philly real estate to get an idea. Trulia - Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Apartments for Rent, Local data with zips 19147 or 19145 .Don't bother with rentals. Just look at what is for sale to see what you might rent when the time comes. These will put you 10-15 minutes from work.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:30 AM

780 posts, read 1,720,439 times
if you want a fenced yard and a single family home I would say ridley, glenolden, brookhaven or even aston. I would stick to any town close to/along the I-95 corridor south of route 420 exit on I-95 but before the Delaware state line just about any town close to the west side of I-95. Stay away from the east side of I-95 where you will find Chester and Marcus hook. I live in Aston and on the rare occasion I need to drive into the city I leave the Aston house at 6:30am and make it to 401 north broad street in about 25 minutes. It the comute home that is a killer if you leave before or around 5pm everything backs up where I-95 cuts down to 2 lanes where it meets I-476 and the ride home can take 50 minutes. But it is still not as bad as crossing the ben franklin bridge during rush hour!!! if you can work 7 to 3 you will be A-ok with the commute.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:54 AM

581 posts, read 1,243,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigh110 View Post
I live in Aston and on the rare occasion I need to drive into the city I leave the Aston house at 6:30am and make it to 401 north broad street in about 25 minutes. It the comute home that is a killer if you leave before or around 5pm everything backs up where I-95 cuts down to 2 lanes where it meets I-476 and the ride home can take 50 minutes. But it is still not as bad as crossing the ben franklin bridge during rush hour!!! if you can work 7 to 3 you will be A-ok with the commute.
I'm not sure I agree with this. I've done both commutes and for me, the commute South on I-95 during rush hour was far worse than going over Ben Franklin during rush. Coming home at 5 or 6, the Ben Franklin isn't actually too bad. The traffic flows. However, going in at about 8:30 - the BF can be slow. Regardless, I routinely get into the city way faster from NJ than from the PA burbs (I was in broomall).

Old 08-24-2013, 06:30 AM

681 posts, read 1,347,842 times
I would agree with TempleU on Collingswood, which is where I live. I still go to the gym in S. Philly and I'm there in 15 minutes; its right by the coast guard so you will be there by car in 10-15. Girard Estate, while nice is not full of rentals so unless you get a surrounding row home, you wont have much space. Most rowhomes are not friendly for 2 dogs.
Collingswood offers some nice space and parks and is much closer to the city than even Manayunk and Roxborough. Collingswood is diverse in that it has a prominent LGBT community so I'm not sure of your comfort level there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or