U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 08:46 PM

50 posts, read 87,400 times

Advertisements

Alright-the military is moving me again and Philadelphia is on the list of potential places. Here's what we are looking for.

Our BAH is $2000 a month and we have 3 small dogs and would like a place with a fence and a house...not a condo or apartment.

Also, I'd like to keep my commute under 30 minutes. I'll be working at the Coast Guard base on Washington Ave. and would ideally like it to be even less (15 minutes), but I hear traffic is pretty horrible, so who knows.

Any help would be appreciated!

Per the top thread on this subforum, here's some questions I answered to hopefully help!

When are you moving? Not until Summer 2014
Where are you coming from? Houston, TX
Why are you moving? Military
Where will you be working? Coast Guard Sector Delaware Bay
Have you been here yet? Nope

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? I'm really looking for a house. Since we have 3 dogs, we'd like a house with a fence.

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? Not really sure here. I've heard NJ gun laws are absolutely insane-not sure how PA laws compare. That could play a small factor. Also tax rates could be a factor here.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married-no kids
Do you prefer public or private schools? N/A
Do you have pets? 3 dogs, all under 20 pounds each.
Do you want or need a yard? Need a yard, fenced in.
Are you keeping a car? Two cars
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? CALM AND QUIET

What do you want to be closest to? I want to be somewhat close to work (within 30 minutes), and I want amenities like shopping near me (supermarket, target, etc.)
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
I'd like to live in an area with people of similar backgrounds.

Really, my wife and I don't care about nightlife. We do like to go to nice restaurants, but that's the extent-our clubbing days are long behind us! We like to play with our dogs in the backyard, take them for the occasional walk, and hang out at home. I like to be within 5-10 minutes of a grocery store if possible and I want my commute to be less than 30 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 03:33 AM

5,674 posts, read 10,248,929 times
A couple of general things:
- in the city itself, in order to honor your yard, 'calm and quiet' and commuting requests, you would probably be limited to a pretty small area, namely the Girard Estates neighborhood of South Philly. Roxborough and the parts of NE Philly that would fit the bill in other ways would probably stretch your commute time unless you will be working at off hours. But most of the city neighborhoods are either too busy or lacking in likely places with a yard - not impossible, but less likely.
- the NJ suburbs would make for an easier commute, though you'll be paying the daily bridge tolls which can add up. The Tacony Palmyra bridge is cheaper, but your commute down 95 would stretch your commute time limit. Just avoid Camden.
- in the PA suburbs, you're looking strictly at Delaware County - Bucks and Montgomery are too far for your commute.

Other people can give specifics on the suburban areas in your range, though you might want to be more clear about your background since you want to live around similar people and what your gun law needs are.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:29 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,740,351 times
Good advice from maf763 reference Girard Estates although both Roxborough and north east Philly are too far away for your commute
If you use google earth you can get a good view of the coast guard station on the Delaware River on Columbus Blvd at the foot of Washington Ave .It is very close to the heart of the city so you are competing with people coming in from far flung suburbs trying to get downtown (Center City) unless you already live in South Philadelphia which I recommend. The whole area is very dense and crowded and the freeways are often useless so the closer to work you can get the better.There is nothing like a suburban Houston single family house anywhere close. You will most probably be in what we call a row house which is a townhouse but some(like Girard Estates) down near the sports complex come with small lawns with driveways behind them. South Philadelphia is like an island surrounded by water on three sides and two sides are connected by Columbus Blvd which provides an easy way to get around from one side io the other. It also passes by the sports complex where the stadiums are so traffic is light when there isn't a game or some big event. Closer to the coast guard station Columbus is lined with all kinds of big box shopping, super markets etc so it is a very convenient place to live once you are already here.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:02 AM

259 posts, read 322,528 times
The OP has three dogs though. Wouldn't that complicate matters in trying to find housing in Philly that will allow any dogs (let alone multiples)?

I agree that Delaware County might be the best place for him to look.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryanise View Post
The OP has three dogs though. Wouldn't that complicate matters in trying to find housing in Philly that will allow any dogs (let alone multiples)?

I agree that Delaware County might be the best place for him to look.
In an apartment yes it could be a problem but if they rent a whole house there shouldn't be any restrictions. Delaware County would be 2nd choice but his commute will at least be twice as long to get past the airport and over one of the bridges, Girard Point or Penrose. Also some of those close in Delaware County towns don't win any awards. Maybe they could find a house in Eastwick and then take Passyunk Av or Washington Av across to Columbus Blvd. Pennsport would be a perfect location but no yards there although they can park under I-95 and walk the dogs there as well.

Last edited by bryson662001; 08-13-2013 at 08:57 AM..

Old 08-13-2013, 01:11 PM

259 posts, read 322,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
In an apartment yes it could be a problem but if they rent a whole house there shouldn't be any restrictions.
I know in Philadelphia, some houses won't allow any pets. (I had been perusing the classifieds for a while.) Maybe the suburbs would be more open-minded about allowing pets.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryanise View Post
I know in Philadelphia, some houses won't allow any pets. (I had been perusing the classifieds for a while.) Maybe the suburbs would be more open-minded about allowing pets.
It's really up to the owner. City or suburb shouldn't matter

Old 08-13-2013, 09:41 PM

4 posts, read 2,645 times
to help find you an area of similar background, whats your background?

some south philly houses have backyards. but not big ones. you can look in eastwick in SW Philly, Yeadon, Clifton Heights, or Sharon Hill. East Falls is a really fast commute if you can flex your hours a bit off rush-hour and there are beautiful houses with big back yards (near Phila. University) as well as a gigantic Target and everything else you may need right over on City Ave. if the commute's more like 35mins sometimes, i'd say its still worth it. that said, anything within 2 miles of City Ave in Montgomery County if you can find an affordable place, tho stretching your commute depending on hours, would have amenities you are looking for.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffey View Post
to help find you an area of similar background, whats your background?

some south philly houses have backyards. but not big ones. you can look in eastwick in SW Philly, Yeadon, Clifton Heights, or Sharon Hill. East Falls is a really fast commute if you can flex your hours a bit off rush-hour and there are beautiful houses with big back yards (near Phila. University) as well as a gigantic Target and everything else you may need right over on City Ave. if the commute's more like 35mins sometimes, i'd say its still worth it. that said, anything within 2 miles of City Ave in Montgomery County if you can find an affordable place, tho stretching your commute depending on hours, would have amenities you are looking for.
East Falls or even City Av is way too far from Columbus Blvd and Washington Ave. IMO. Don't forget it can take 30 minutes just to get across Center City from one side to the other once you actually get there. Columbus Blvd has a Target and a Walmart and a Superfresh and a Shoprite and a Staples and Ikea and a branch of almost every other store in the world.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:37 AM

4 posts, read 2,645 times
True, but you won't find a comfortable backyard for three dogs to run around anywhere near Columbus Blvd. The only suburbs (houses with backyards) closer than what I mentioned are in Camden and Gloucester Counties in S. Jersey, and you will get traffic there as well. Haddonfield, Haddon Heights, Bellmawr and surrounding towns are close enough to the Walt Whitman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or