U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 12:33 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,485,797 times

Advertisements

im thinking about relocating back to philly from minnesota. i would be working in bala cynwyd. fiance working in media .what would be the best city to live in and for kids to go to school? i dont want to live in the upper darby lansdowne area. just looking for a diverse affordable area. rent no more than 1200 a month. preferably a 3 bedroom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 12:48 PM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
You may have to compromise on some parts of your wish list. You didn't say whether you wanted an apartment or a house. The former may be easier to acquire on your budget than the latter.

Havertown may be convenient although I'm not sure how diverse it is. You'd be in the Haverford School District which is pretty good IIUC.

Perhaps you all could live in Media and take advantage of the good schools in Rose Tree-Media School District while you bite the bullet on the commute?

Drexel Hill could be a slightly better value but then you'd be in the Upper Darby School District which is "just okay" by local suburban standards.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
You may have to compromise on some parts of your wish list. You didn't say whether you wanted an apartment or a house. The former may be easier to acquire on your budget than the latter.

Havertown may be convenient although I'm not sure how diverse it is. You'd be in the Haverford School District which is pretty good IIUC.

Perhaps you all could live in Media and take advantage of the good schools in Rose Tree-Media School District while you bite the bullet on the commute?

Drexel Hill could be a slightly better value but then you'd be in the Upper Darby School District which is "just okay" by local suburban standards.
looking to rent for now. 3 bedroom townhouse, apartment, condo, house. no to the upper darby school district.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:15 AM

177 posts, read 306,228 times
Personally I would rather live in Media. Most other places outside of the eastern part of Delco are too suburban for me. Also, a lot of places that seem great can have completely different situations going on in their apartments, especially apartment complexes. If not Media then I would go with Havertown, because it really comes across to me as somewhere that is going to get more diverse in the future but without going downhill because it's in a Main Line school district. It reminds me of how Drexel Park was about 10-15 years ago to an extent. There's also the Pilgrim Gardens section of Drexel Hill (behind Pilgrim Gardens shopping center), which is in the Haverford School District. That's another area that I see getting more diverse in the future. Not sure how old your kids are but I'd say within 10-15 years, that whole area is going to look a lot different. It's already starting to, little by little.

Also, the Upper Darby School District may have problems but schools like Aronimink Elementary to name one are really nothing like that at all. The Aronimink section is like a whole other world from Upper Darby, too.

I guess it depends on who needs to be closer for their job, you or your fiance.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:50 AM

581 posts, read 1,243,376 times
I agree that Media is great... but finding a 3 bedroom on a $1200/month budget could be tough in Media.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:50 AM

76 posts, read 171,544 times
The aronimink section of Drexel hill has some great rentals along state road and also along ferne boulevard and burmont roads. I'd stay away from the complexes and stick to people renting out their homes.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:48 AM

i just hate long commutes. i would love to be 15 min or less drive to both jobs.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:09 AM

271 posts, read 1,306,275 times
Your commute to Bala Cynwyd from Havertown will be longer than 15 minutes, mainly due to traffic (unless you commute off hours). But if you are looking for diversity in Delaware County, the two places that have it - Upper Darby and Lansdowne - are the ones you don't want to live in!

Old 08-19-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesixth View Post
Your commute to Bala Cynwyd from Havertown will be longer than 15 minutes, mainly due to traffic (unless you commute off hours). But if you are looking for diversity in Delaware County, the two places that have it - Upper Darby and Lansdowne - are the ones you don't want to live in!
yea been there done that. before i moved to minnesota. i lived in e lansdowne. her whole family is in that area. i wanna be in an area where people just can't stop by at the drop of a hat. lansdowne/upper darby is getting just as bad as philly. NO THANK U
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or