U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 01:54 PM

8 posts, read 20,737 times

Advertisements

I appreciate everyone's input, thank you. Definitely stuff here to keep in mind.

For those who asked, I'd like to keep the cost $150 or less per night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 04:26 PM

1,685 posts, read 2,131,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
I've stayed at the Alexander several times and have always been impressed with the service, food, and rooms. I was initially a bit put off when my wife said she booked us into a "boutique hotel" ("boutique" anything makes my eyes roll). But I found the staff friendly (but not annoyingly so) and informative, and good value for the $ (can't recall what we paid in 2008, but it seemed reasonable, and it was significantly less than the larger hotels). The location is great - walkable to pretty much anywhere in Center City. You could probably find something less expensive at the airport like one of the earlier posters said, but considering transportation (SEPTA, cab, parking) costs, paying what might be a bit more for the Alexander is well worth it. Step outside the hotel at the airport and you have a trip to Center City awaiting you. Step outside at the Alexander and you're a short walk to everything.
I also stayed at the Alexander in 2008, but in February. The rooms we stayed in were $120 and $140 per night. They gave us a parking voucher for a nearby garage, but I can't recall if it paid for our parking or just greatly reduced it - like by half or more. Awesome place! The only thing they lacked were mini-fridges. I'd stay there again, though.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:47 AM

186 posts, read 111,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
The least expensive quality hotels are the budget chains like Motel 6 and Red Roof Inn at the airport. This area can be as close as 15 minutes to downtown. If you actually drive downtown then figure another 25 or 30 dollars to park for the day. There is limited on street parking at meters in the museum district. Bring a couple of rolls of quarters.
You have to be Philly's biggest saboteur... where does this hate stem from?

Anyways, DO NOT under ANY circumstances listen to Bryson and stay at a Motel 6 and Red Roof Inn near the airport. Whenever I travel to a cool city, I tend to be in my hotel only to sleep, so location is more important than hotel quality. But for $150/night i can't imagine you're in the market for pampering....

Philly is affordable enough. Go to hotels.com and select Center City and Old City and you'll find some decent places under $200. Club Quarters is in a great location and very affordable--though caveat, rooms are like Tokyo-small.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:25 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
I second Hotel Monaco - it really is something.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:31 PM

22,381 posts, read 33,159,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
I second Hotel Monaco - it really is something.

Yes both the lobby bar and roof lounge are very nice. I really like Kimptons in general

My only potential gripe with the Monanco is I prefer to go out in Rittenhouse or Wash West so its a little further but couldnt be closer to the historical attractions. Pick your poison

I believe the Monanco is generally more expensive than say the Palomar.

Personally I would priceline and look for the deals. Le Merian can be had for cheap and is also very nice, location is like two blocks further and sleepier but still very well located for most excursions

Old 08-23-2013, 10:42 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
You have to be Philly's biggest saboteur... where does this hate stem from?

Anyways, DO NOT under ANY circumstances listen to Bryson and stay at a Motel 6 and Red Roof Inn near the airport. Whenever I travel to a cool city, I tend to be in my hotel only to sleep, so location is more important than hotel quality. But for $150/night i can't imagine you're in the market for pampering....

Philly is affordable enough. Go to hotels.com and select Center City and Old City and you'll find some decent places under $200. Club Quarters is in a great location and very affordable--though caveat, rooms are like Tokyo-small.
Actually, I find bryson662001's posts to be generally fair regarding the city proper. Without knowing what the OP's definition of a "reasonable rate" was, he simply provided the lowest common denominator which happens to be relatively convenient to the city.

I do share your preference to stay as close to the action as possible when traveling. Now that we know the OP's max nightly budget, there are certainly options within Center City that would suffice.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:32 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,737,587 times
I will just advise the OP that if you do decide to stay in Center City be sure to ask about parking and the cost. It could
end up as a major part of your costs. Also, depending on the OP's interests, many parts of the metro are best seen by car, in which case Center City may not be the most convenient place to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia