Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 03:55 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,520,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramorerocks558 View Post
I recommend you move to NE Philly (Frankford). Since you wife's job is moving to Center City she will be able to ride the MFL from Frankford Transportation center, so you won't have to fight for the car. There are plenty of houses you can rent in the Frankford for that amount. The crime rate is fairly low around that area; one of the safest in the city. Use Padmapper to help!
https://www.padmapper.com/
No. Frankford is one of the most dangerous areas in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 04:27 PM

318 posts, read 609,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillybound1 View Post
Thanks AgelessStranger. I did think about looking in NE Philly, however, my understanding (and please correct me if I'm mistaken) is that the area has more of a suburban feel. Since we both spent our lives in suburbia (North Jersey), we're hoping to experience city-living before we (hopefully) are able to buy our own house, which would likely be in the suburbs.

When you say Manayunk is "ok", to what are you referring? We both really like the area, but perhaps there are factors we're not considering?
Sorry. Not trying to dissuade you on Manayunk. Don't like the hills for one (must suck when we get snow or ice) and I'm past the bar scene, but hey if you like it, go for it.

As far as the NE goes, there are area's where you wouldn't even know you were in the city (Pine Valley for one). And having an extended suburb feel to it? Eh, I dunno. Comparing Manayunk to say Somerton then yes the NE has a suburban feel.

Oh, and someone recommended Frankford and went as far as to say it's one of the safest neighborhood's in the city. I had to laugh at that one. Please, if your even considering the NE, do NOT listen to that advice, Frankford is a dump and has been for a long time.

Last edited by AgelessStranger; 08-16-2013 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: add text

Old 08-16-2013, 08:26 PM

4,514 posts, read 4,040,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillybound1 View Post
3- Northern Liberties- I have two concerns, based on the limited info I've heard of the area:

a) safety- from what I understand, this area is still in the process of gentrifying and random violence still occurs here time to time. I'd prefer to avoid that kind of thing. Is than accurate depiction? How does this area compare to, say, Fairmount in terms of safety?

b) atmosphere - although we love the trendy restaurants/shops etc in Manayunk, we're now in our 30s and we're not drinkers. I've heard that NoLibs is popular with college-age party-ers. Is that accurate? Is that scene more prevalent in NoLibs than in Manayunk?
I don't think random violence happens in no libs. I think olde city is more of the college party'ers that you are thinking of.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:47 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,520,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I don't think random violence happens in no libs. I think olde city is more of the college party'ers that you are thinking of.
Yeah, it does in Northern Liberties. You had the guy get shot in the neck and paralyzed, the girl murdered on her way home from work, the group of young black males going around hitting white men in the head, beating and robbing them (this happened numerous times), the shooting at PYT, etc.
I keep my guard up walking around there at night.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:14 PM

183 posts, read 631,744 times
I'm talking about E. Passyunk from Broad St to Reed St. There is bar/club/restaurant/shop action all along that stretch. Look for something that is within a ten minute walk of the Avenue, and you will be happy. There is an Acme at Reed & E. Passyunk...so if that is a big deal to you (it is to us) then focus more on that end. Also if you live more toward that end, you can also walk to both the Italian Market and Queen Village area, and of course the great restaurants along 11th St between Reed and Washington. Also the little conglomeration of bars and restaurants near Geno's and Pat's (9th & Passyunk). We live near 12th & Wharton, right across from the Columbus Square park, and cannot imagine a better place to live. Parking is NOT a problem in that immediate area, because the existence of the park means fewer houses, thus fewer cars. Good luck.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:08 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelb View Post
I'm talking about E. Passyunk from Broad St to Reed St. There is bar/club/restaurant/shop action all along that stretch. Look for something that is within a ten minute walk of the Avenue, and you will be happy. There is an Acme at Reed & E. Passyunk...so if that is a big deal to you (it is to us) then focus more on that end. Also if you live more toward that end, you can also walk to both the Italian Market and Queen Village area, and of course the great restaurants along 11th St between Reed and Washington. Also the little conglomeration of bars and restaurants near Geno's and Pat's (9th & Passyunk). We live near 12th & Wharton, right across from the Columbus Square park, and cannot imagine a better place to live. Parking is NOT a problem in that immediate area, because the existence of the park means fewer houses, thus fewer cars. Good luck.
I agree with you on E. Passyunk, but I would recommend staying closer to the Ave then a 10 minute walk away.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:02 AM

40 posts, read 82,701 times
I would suggest Northern Liberties or maybe Fishtown since Fishtown more meets your budget but they both have a very similar feel to manayunk and in Fishtown your close to Center City 10 mins by car or el and 20 mins by car to the northeast airport. There is little crime, slightly more in fishtown and thats because it is still gentrifying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia